Adventures of Solace

Paul and Gina Rae on board their yacht Solace, as they make their way around the world from San Francisco. Visit also our Web site & Paul's Boat Projects through the Home link to the right.

02 December 2017
20 October 2017
20 October 2017
19 October 2017
17 October 2017
04 October 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
18 August 2017 | Mopelia
12 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
22 June 2017
22 June 2017

Circumnavigation - 10 years in the making

14 May 2017
We've been here before-10 years ago.
We have finally achieved a goal that was but a seed many years ago. We think we have met all the requirements for a global circumnavigation on Solace. Even though we started in California, we have reached a point that we have been to before. After a little research on the definition of a circumnavigation I believe we have come very close to the 2 antipodean points of the globe. We have continued in one direction – west. Each leg has begun where the last leg stopped. We have crossed all the meridians of longitude, crossed the equator (7 times), and completed more than 21,600 nautical miles (as defined by Wiki). We have sailed 46,000 miles and it will be more than 50,000 miles by the time we get back to New Zealand. We have had some really special moments that have touched us indelibly and some that have made us realize our own mortality. We have met many wonderful people, most of whom will stay in our hearts forever. We could not of done it without the help of so many people; those land based and fellow cruisers, friends and family. It is not a feat that is taken in isolation and for the help we have received from everyone over the last 10 years, we are eternally grateful. Solace has been a sturdy boat, taking us places that we would never of dreamed of going and getting us there safely. We have loved her and given her much needed TLC in some exotic places. We have learnt so much about life on a boat and about many different cultures along the way. We have learnt a few words in many languages and conversed with everyday people of many lands. They too have touched our hearts as they shared what they have and know with us. Many of these people had very little but they were happy to share what they had with us. To them we are thankful for allowing us to peer into their way of life. Now we will be able to meander across the South Pacific yet again and find some places that we have not yet been to. The great thing about big oceans is that there is always more to see.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solace
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 44
Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, CA
Crew: Paul and Gina Rae
About:
Paul – In a previous life he was a diesel mechanic in the NZ Army for 6 years. Made a career shift to nursing and has remained in this field ever since. Has dabbled with sailing intermittently throughout the years with sailing courses and charters. [...]
Home Page: http://solaceadventures.me
Social:
Solace's Photos - Main
Out and about in Santa Marta
4 Photos
Created 19 December 2016