Adventures of Solace

Paul and Gina Rae on board their yacht Solace, as they make their way around the world from San Francisco. Visit also our Web site & Paul's Boat Projects through the Home link to the right.

02 December 2017
20 October 2017
20 October 2017
19 October 2017
17 October 2017
04 October 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
18 August 2017 | Mopelia
12 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
22 June 2017
22 June 2017

Tahiti Nui & Tahiti Iti

06 August 2017
Paul finally made it back, after selling out farm, moving all our stuff into several containers and buying a smaller property. We decided to do a small road trip around the island of Tahiti and Tahiti Nui. I managed to find what I thought was a reasonably process bungalow on line, thinking that the pictures would depict what the facility was like. How was I to know that the pictures were taken 10 or more years ago when tourism was at it peak in Tahiti. The facility no longer had a restaurant and not all of the bungalows were in good condition. But our bungalow was clean and tidy, no wild life, mosquito nets, and free wifi. So not all was lost. Given that we had a car we were able to drive to the local supermarket (there were no restaurants open in the area) and buy something suitable for dinner. It was surprising because I picked the resort in the Teahupoo area, one of the worlds best surfing spots. On our trip around Tahiti, we stopped at some beautiful gardens, cavernous grottos, the area of 100 waterfalls, and one of the biggest Maraes in French Polynesia. We stopped at Point Venus , the sight of Captains Cook’s observatory and where the first missionary’s landed. We saw some beautiful beaches that weren’t inundated with over the water bungalows and are used predominantly by the locals. I got to hike up some of the hills for some great views, except it was raining and trails become mudslides very quickly. We also managed to shop with a car, which makes a big difference to how much we buy. It was hard to buy more because we are so used to limiting what we buy to what we can carry. But we managed. We did buy a new start battery for the boat and getting that back to the boat was suddenly very easy. After another 2 days holiday, it was time to get back to the boat and get some chores done.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solace
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 44
Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, CA
Crew: Paul and Gina Rae
About:
Paul – In a previous life he was a diesel mechanic in the NZ Army for 6 years. Made a career shift to nursing and has remained in this field ever since. Has dabbled with sailing intermittently throughout the years with sailing courses and charters. [...]
Home Page: http://solaceadventures.me
Social:
Solace's Photos - Main
Out and about in Santa Marta
4 Photos
Created 19 December 2016