Adventures of Solace

Paul and Gina Rae on board their yacht Solace, as they make their way around the world from San Francisco. Visit also our Web site & Paul's Boat Projects through the Home link to the right.

02 December 2017
20 October 2017
20 October 2017
19 October 2017
17 October 2017
04 October 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
18 August 2017 | Mopelia
12 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
22 June 2017
22 June 2017

Life on Palmerston

30 August 2017
Main Street, Palmerston
Supply ships come by every 3-4 months, hopefully, so it was nice to offload some canned food that had been around to some people that would appreciate it. We spent most days socializing with the locals, walking the island and talking with the teachers and nurse as to how they managed in such an isolated location. We learnt about the history of the families and how they managed before modern technology came to the island. One of the delights of being here is that they had satellite Internet at a very reasonable cost. It wasn’t consistent but certainly good enough to manage a few emails and get daily weather without having to use the Iridium. It also allowed us to work at getting a much-needed rigger for when we arrived in Tonga. Our friends Matt and Dagma arrived after 2 days and we spent a morning making our rig much more secure. Since both of them were climbers and had all their climbing gears, it was easy for them to help without putting more stress on our rig. We managed to borrow some Dyneema line from Pele on Loupon and Matt climbed to the top of the mast to secure it. Once the mast was under tension again, he was able to put sail ties around the rest of the genoa so it would not shred itself in the wind. Paul managed to get the transmission working again and we were set to enjoy the rest of our stay on the island.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solace
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 44
Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, CA
Crew: Paul and Gina Rae
About:
Paul – In a previous life he was a diesel mechanic in the NZ Army for 6 years. Made a career shift to nursing and has remained in this field ever since. Has dabbled with sailing intermittently throughout the years with sailing courses and charters. [...]
Home Page: http://solaceadventures.me
Social:
Solace's Photos - Main
Out and about in Santa Marta
4 Photos
Created 19 December 2016