Adventures of Solace

Paul and Gina Rae on board their yacht Solace, as they make their way around the world from San Francisco. Visit also our Web site & Paul's Boat Projects through the Home link to the right.

02 December 2017
20 October 2017
20 October 2017
19 October 2017
17 October 2017
04 October 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
30 August 2017
18 August 2017 | Mopelia
12 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
06 August 2017
22 June 2017
22 June 2017

On our way to Tahiti

13 March 2008 | Somewhere off the coast of Mexico
Gina
Last Monday we were ready to go with just a few items left to stow away. Of course, this being a boat, one of the heads decided to have a holiday so we spent 2 hours fixing that. We were going to leave regardless as that is one spare we do have. There is always the fire bucket as well. We left Tues March 11 at around 0930 with no wind for the first hour out of the bay. This we motored as we want to be very conservative with our fuel. We finally hoist the sails and were cruising along about 5-6 knots. I guess we will just have to start eating the baked beans to lighten the boat a little. We only made 105 miles for the first day as we hit a calm patch and wallowed along at 1 - 2 knots. We have made a decision to tough out the calm patches for as long as we can(just like the Baja Ha Ha). We are into the 3rd day and have assured our selves we will not get sea sick and have started the routine of daily chores. Our watch schedule has fallen into place so we both feel like we get enough rest. Paul is net controller for the PPJ inter boat net and it is fun to see when other boats head away. There is one boat that left from Punta Mita the same day as us, "Chinook", and they are ahead of us. I have heard of one other vessel that also left from Bara de Navidad around the same time but have not heard him on any of the nets. It seems we are currently one of the boats at the head of the bunch but our reasoning is that we are a little slower than the average (it is those damn baked beans again). We have set an interim way point north of the equator near 125W. We spend most of the time on a starboard beam reach with occasional adjustment of the sails as the wind backs and veers. So all in all, things are moving along the way we like; sailing, happy and well fed(with baked beans of course).
Comments
Vessel Name: Solace
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 44
Hailing Port: Santa Cruz, CA
Crew: Paul and Gina Rae
About:
Paul – In a previous life he was a diesel mechanic in the NZ Army for 6 years. Made a career shift to nursing and has remained in this field ever since. Has dabbled with sailing intermittently throughout the years with sailing courses and charters. [...]
Home Page: http://solaceadventures.me
Social:
Solace's Photos - Main
Out and about in Santa Marta
4 Photos
Created 19 December 2016