Solace

Solace on the sea!

22 September 2020 | In Southeast Asia
02 January 2019
14 September 2017
07 February 2014 | Thailand!
30 December 2012 | Thailand
22 September 2011 | Thailand!
28 April 2011 | Thailand
17 April 2011 | Sonora, Mexico
02 December 2010 | San Carlos, Mexico
27 October 2010 | Bangkok, Thailand
12 October 2010 | Asia!
12 September 2010 | Sonora, California
02 May 2010 | San Carlos, Mexico
26 March 2010 | San Carlos, Mexico
01 March 2010 | Marina San Carlos, Mex
18 February 2010
15 January 2010 | 27° 56'N : 111° 03'W

Sailing season 2011!

02 December 2010 | San Carlos, Mexico
Tufesa bus down to Guaymas where my friend Steve picked me up for the 15 minute car ride over to San Carlos.

Had the marina crew haul Solace back into the marina basin while reserving a slip on "C" dock. Inspected the bottom work that was completed over the summer before back in the water. Quality bottom work from Marina Seca at a price near what they had previously estimated. Certainly would recommend them for boat work to other mariners.

Living aboard is great! Cool nights now and warm day's. Dodge truck started right up after being stored that long in the hot, hot, Sonora sun all summer. Funny, spend most of my life in two "Sonora's" but they have no relation at all to each other. In name only! Spent Christmas at the Yacht Club and wonderful food and drink. New Years partying at the local pubs with plenty of fun, dancing, and entertainment.

Winter work plan is to re-varnish all the above deck woodwork and complete the few remaining small projects which were still left on the survey report. Inspected the mooring I have in the Bahia (#23), but have remained dock side so work to the boat can easily be conducted as the power and water are supplied. Allowed a few friends to use the mooring for extended periods and they reported everything was fine. Had diver check the mooring chain and he also reported all was fine.

Jesus and Edwardo do most all my boat work in San Carlos. Father and son work team I think I have mentioned before. Contracted with them to remove all the old varnish on the above deck woodwork and apply three coats of new varnish. Wood ended up with a little darker look than I would have liked, but made a big difference in the overall look of the boat. Varnish on boats is just something that is never finished, goes on and on. I think we were still at it 5 weeks later. Ordered new radar internals, replaced one of the main batteries, cleaned a lot inside, while enjoying great times with friends doing all the wonderful things San Carlos has to offer. Planning a trip back to Asia once leaving here so will try leaving out of Mexico a few day's before Semena Santa celebration starts. If you don't know what Semena Santa celebration is... Google it! Thousands come into this little town.

Looks like mid April, 2011, will be my target exit date. My friend Tomas helped me with new lettering for the boat. Halted a beautiful stained glass project he is working on to help me do this. Much appreciated Tomas! Finished the small projects in the cabin, all varnish work completed, sporting new bottom paint, shore lines, flying the Mexican flag, and hauled out to the Marina Seca hard for the summer stay. Actually hated to leave, although looking forward to going back to Bangkok and seeing Michael and Blair before departing for Asia.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solace
Vessel Make/Model: Ta Shing Mariner
Hailing Port: Lake Tahoe, NV
Crew: Capt. Gary P. Rogers
Extra:
Solace has been a journey to search out the final piece in life's puzzle. After many months of searching, now the puzzle becomes much clearer. Months and months of searching, testing, evaluating, learning, is finally concluded. These many months work have produced a faithful, dependable, [...]

Solace on the sea!

Who: Capt. Gary P. Rogers
Port: Lake Tahoe, NV