Solace

Solace on the sea!

22 September 2020 | In Southeast Asia
02 January 2019
14 September 2017
07 February 2014 | Thailand!
30 December 2012 | Thailand
22 September 2011 | Thailand!
28 April 2011 | Thailand
17 April 2011 | Sonora, Mexico
02 December 2010 | San Carlos, Mexico
27 October 2010 | Bangkok, Thailand
12 October 2010 | Asia!
12 September 2010 | Sonora, California
02 May 2010 | San Carlos, Mexico
26 March 2010 | San Carlos, Mexico
01 March 2010 | Marina San Carlos, Mex
18 February 2010
15 January 2010 | 27° 56'N : 111° 03'W

Sonora, Mexico to Sonora, CA!

17 April 2011 | Sonora, Mexico
My friend James and his girlfriend drove me into Guaymas after I had the boat hauled out to the hard in Marina Seca. Must be close to 200 boats on the hard in Seca and you can tell from the condition that many have been there a long time. Forgotten dreams in many cases I suspect.

Boarded the Tufesa bus north bound for the 6+ hour trip to Tucson. Tufesa buses are first class. Mercedes or Volvo mostly, with wide seats, media players, and plenty of air-conditioning. Arrived at the border check point in Nogales after being stopped and bus/baggage checked several times by Mexican authorities along the route north. I had reservations on a Amtrak out of Tucson for 9pm going up to Stockton where friends Michael and Blair were to pick me up. Leaving Guaymas at 11:00am gave be about 10 hours for the trip north to make the train connection. Arrived at the border check point around 5pm and all was going as planned. Unfortunately, one of the Tufesa passengers had some immigration issues and we waited and waited at the border while he tried to get the problem cleared up. Not sure what Tufesa policy is for this type situation, but they held the bus at the border rather than leaving and having that passenger stranded to catch a later bus going north to Tucson. Finally near 7:45 pm all was cleared up and we departed for Tucson. Was touch and go if I could make the train connection, but with luck caught a waiting taxi at the Tufesa Tucson bus station and with a rather quick trip to Amtrak station, boarded Amtrak.

Slept most of the way to Los Angeles aboard Amtrak, arriving L.A. early morning. Short walk from the depot in L.A. and had breakfast at a local restaurant, then back to the depot to catch a bus up to Bakersfield where I connect with another Amtrak on up to Stockton. High-lite of the bus trip was seeing and recognizing Jay Leno driving one of his classic convertible cars on the Hollywood Freeway. Connection to Amtrack, short trip up to Stockton, Blair picks me up, couple hour drive out to Sonora wine country, and finally this season's sailing season is complete.
Vessel Name: Solace
Vessel Make/Model: Ta Shing Mariner
Hailing Port: Lake Tahoe, NV
Crew: Capt. Gary P. Rogers
Extra:
Solace has been a journey to search out the final piece in life's puzzle. After many months of searching, now the puzzle becomes much clearer. Months and months of searching, testing, evaluating, learning, is finally concluded. These many months work have produced a faithful, dependable, [...]

Solace on the sea!

Who: Capt. Gary P. Rogers
Port: Lake Tahoe, NV