Cruising on Solar Flair

11 May 2014 | La Paz
19 April 2014 | Santa Rosalia
31 March 2014 | Sea of Cortez
31 March 2014 | La Paz
09 March 2014 | East Cape Baja California Sur
09 March 2014 | East Cape Baja California Sur
09 March 2014 | East Cape Baja California Sur
09 March 2014 | San Jose del Cabo
26 February 2014 | Pacific Baja
26 February 2014
26 February 2014 | Pacific Baja
09 February 2014 | Ensenada Mexico
21 January 2014 | Ensenada
04 December 2013 | San Diego
04 November 2013 | Marina Cortez - Harbor Island - San Diego

Working the Sails to Turtle Bay

26 February 2014 | Pacific Baja
We left Ensenada ready to continue our route south to La Paz. With Solar Flair all back together and the galley provisioned after a couple of trips to Walmart, we were on our way early - but not too early - Tuesday February 11, expecting a 2 day 2 night passage to Turtle Bay. We motored out of Ensenada towards the channel between the mainland and Isla Todos Santos where the wind suggested we could raise the main - so we did. A nice day passed under sail with 8 to 10 knots on the starboard beam. Late in the day the winds died so we motored through the night. Early morning - 3 AM - brought fresh winds so the jib was let out and the motor turned off. We sailed through the remaining night. With the daylight and about 8 knots on the stern, the main was raised together with the jib and we sailed wing-and-wing for a while. Sinbad did his best to keep the sails full and us moving along but eventually we furled the jib and let just the main do the work. Again the winds built to about 18 knots so before dark we downed the main and sailed through the night under jib alone. Winds continued to be light and variable through the remainder of the passage so we worked the sails and the motor depending on the conditions - all good practice for Kathy and me as we worked together as a team.
We made Turtle Bay at 2:45 PM February 13 and anchored in 14 feet of water laying out about 100 feet of the new chain we had acquired in San Diego. Already anchored nearby was Spirit of Hanaleigh with Joy and Randy on board. We had met them in Ensenada. Also nearby was Tarapin - a beautiful Nordhaven 54 - with Katherine and Mason on board. Of course sun-downers and boat tours were mandatory and a most enjoyable part of the cruising lifestyle. Jeanne Socrates of round-the-world-solo-under-sail-alone-fame arrived and side-tied to Spirit of Hanaleigh so we enjoyed her charming company as well on our dinghy trip into town in search of cell minutes for her and some basic supplies for us.
We also had fun with our first beach landing and a test of the new wheels I installed in San Diego. The landing was pretty simple with just a small maybe 1 foot surf. After a lovely walk on the miles-long circular beach that defines Turtle Bay, we had to make our way back out into the now huge (to us novices) 2 foot surf!! Well, needless to say - we got wet. Good thing I packed along our bailer to rid us of the sea water sloshing around our feet. Good fun but we are not looking forward to a real surf landing and launch somewhere down the line.
After 4 days of R&R in Turtle Bay, it was time to make our passage on to the next stop - Bahia Magdelana or "Mag Bay".
Comments
Vessel Name: Solar Flair
Vessel Make/Model: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Hailing Port: Vancouver, BC
Crew: Jim and Kathy Matusiak
About: Both retired and enjoying the cruising life-style. We intend to cruise 6 months of the year returning to our home in White Rock, BC for the summer months - no more rainy winters!
Extra: We plan to cruise south towards Panama, then decide whether to turn left or right. Although we would like to visit the Cayman Islands so we are currently leaning to the left.
Social:

Crewing on Solar Flair

Who: Jim and Kathy Matusiak
Port: Vancouver, BC