Solero

02 October 2016
30 September 2016
29 September 2016
28 September 2016
27 September 2016
26 September 2016
25 September 2016
24 September 2016
23 September 2016
22 September 2016
21 September 2016
20 September 2016
19 September 2016
18 September 2016
17 September 2016
16 September 2016
15 September 2016
14 September 2016

Porto Spilia

20 September 2016
That would be right - we booked 2 nights at the marina as the forecast said strong winds and heavy rain are coming. But in fact the night is dead calm and there are only a few drops of rain.
Waste of money? No, we call it insurance after being caught out last year in 60+ knots.
Little Vathi is a very friendly and pleasant village, one of our favourites. The lady in the bakery/café is fantastic. Big smile and chat. She says their croissants are the best ever. TJ challenges this - "So are they are better than yesterday's?"
"Oh yes", she says. "Our croissants are a little bit better every day."
More great smoothies and pastries for breakfast. It doesn't hurt their trade that she is not bad on the eye, according to the boys in our shore party.
Our nextdoor neighbours are a lovely couple (Nigel and Mo) on a Sunbeam 42. Mutual boat viewings are arranged. Turns out they are hauling out at the yard next door to us, and we have arranged to take them to Panos for dinner. It's an institution for yachties wintering in those yards.
The afternoon wind beckons and we are off to Porto Spilia. It is literally only around the corner, but we hoist the sails and travel 15NM to get there. At first Babis (the owner) heads for the floating pontoon to tie us up, then recognises our boat and points to the much more preferable stone quay. Good on you Babis. As we dock he says the boat next door to us is the same one that we were next to last year. And he is RIGHT!!!! When the owners come upon deck we recognise them. Babis is a character. He built the quay and as is the custom here, if you tie up to it you are obliged to eat a meal at his restaurant. No hardship there. He has a fantastic memory. He can also be a bit cranky. If he doesn't like you, or you do a crap job of mooring, he simply tells you to go away. An introduction goes a long way to getting in his good books. Ray and Lainee (The Moongladers) provided ours last year, and we tell Nigel and Mo to try dropping our name now we have seen Babis this year. They went a few days ago (to an empty quay) and he sent them away saying that he was full !!!??? Mind you, if it was they day before the storm he may have been booked out.
Our timing is good and it starts to rain as we arrive. But fines up for dinner with Babis. He sits at the cash register near the bar and when you have finished you have to tell him what you have had to eat and drink. But it's a test. He knows exactly what you have had. Dave is petrified we will forget something accidently and be banned, so we type it onto the iPhone as we go.
Comments
Vessel Name: Solero
Vessel Make/Model: X yachts Denmark Xc45
Hailing Port: Lake Macquarie
Crew: Dee and Captain Dave
Extra: missing the left behind labrador