SV Songbird

Crouesty to Ile de Houat

24 September 2013
Stu & Shar
I'll skip the sailing bit on this passage...we tried to sail, but there was no wind....on went "victor volvo" and away we went. We pulled up one of the visitor moorings, without the wind, all the boats were swinging in different directions. The moorings were for some reason placed very close together, in fact so close, that you would hit another boat if you counter swing against each other, hence we set out our fenders on the stern and rear quarters to stop a bang in the night. On the other hand we like the mooring buoys we have used, they are made from a soft plastic and go bump in the night not bang.....big improvement on what we use at home.
Pronounced "What" this island is a very low key, almost deserted, except for a compact group of houses near the port, which is home for the 300 residents. A monument to the "enfant" soldiers that died in WW I was in the main square. As with many memorials we had seen, it seemed one family had more than their fair share of losses and the number would have been high for such a small community. We couldn't decipher the full meaning behind the inscription, only assuming there were all under age and went off to war and didn't come home.
It was a very warm day, as have the past three days (warm enough to get sunburnt), we rowed the dinghy in and took a walk around the southern part of the island and enjoyed the relaxed and serene feel of the place. The near deserted beaches had long stretches of clean warm sand and a gently surf rolled in on the couple on the Atlantic side. Sitting in the sun having and afternoon beer and wine at the local (and only open) brasserie went down really well, a seriously chilled out day.
It was a blessing that we didn't get to Pornichet yesterday as we would have probably missed this.
Comments
Vessel Name: Songbird
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour 40E
Hailing Port: Fremantle - Australia
Crew: Stuart & Sharanne

Songbird

Who: Stuart & Sharanne
Port: Fremantle - Australia