Sailing with Songster

30 June 2011 | Kayakoy, Turkey
28 March 2011 | Hulemale, North Male Atoll, Maldives
15 March 2011 | Thulusdhoo, North Male Atoll, Maldives
11 March 2011 | Thulusdhoo, North Male Atoll, Maldives
09 March 2011 | Hulemale, North Male Atoll, Maldives
18 February 2011 | Varihura, Faadhippolhu Atoll, Maldives
17 February 2011 | Kuredhoo, Faadhippolu Atoll, Maldives
16 February 2011 | Dolhiyaddhoo, South Miladhunmadulu Atoll, Maldives
15 February 2011 | Nolhivaranfaru, North Thiladhunmathee Atoll, Maldives
13 February 2011 | Uligan, Maldives
27 January 2011
24 January 2011
22 January 2011
18 January 2011
17 January 2011 | Indian ocean
10 January 2011 | Panwa Bali, Chalong Bay, Phuket
17 December 2010 | Au Chalong, Phuket

Almost there but not quite!

27 January 2011
Jackie Oakey

The past couple of days have been hard going with 20 to 25 knot winds gusting 30 at times and huge seas. However two days ago we had a day of very light winds, flat seas and sunshine where we had to motor sail for much of the day before the winds returned. We are now making our way across the Lakshadweep Sea, the piece of Indian Ocean that separates India from the Maldives heading for Uligamu in the north of the Maldives which is situated at 07.04.65N 072 54 93E. We heard yesterday that there were difficulties with cruising permits etc in Kulhudufushi our original destination so today I phoned the listed agent, this information is never correct in the books or on the internet. He was no longer an agent but the friendly guy contact edCustoms in Uligamu for me and the ycalled to tell me that if we head for Kulhudufushi we will only be allowed 3 days in the Maldvies or pay $500US for a cruising permit to be able to sail to the island of Uligamu which is our port of departure in a couple of weeks. We have changed direction and are now heading in a more northerly direction to the atoll of Uligamu on Ihavandhippolhu Atoll.

This passage has been much harder than we expected and we just cannot wait to put the anchor down and have a good nights uninterrupted sleep. Cooking has been a nighmare as everything is thrown around and we both look forward to a good cooked meal served on a plate rather than thrown into a bowl.

Today the seas have calmed slightly but are still extremely confused and the winds have abated to a reasonable level of around 15 - 18 knots from the North East.

The positive side is that we are at least 20 per cent of the way towards the Mediterannean.
Comments
Vessel Name: Songster
Vessel Make/Model: Oyster 39
Hailing Port: Dartmouth, UK
Crew: Brian Palmer and Jackie Oakey
About:
Since 1997 Brian and Jackie have cruised thousands of miles in Songster and decided whilst cruising the Eastern Med to head west to the Caribbean. At that point of time there was no plan to circumnavigate - but the lure of new adventures and exotic places was a great incentive. [...]
Extra: Until 2009 we had a sleeping crew - two elderly Burmese cats, Henry and Lily. Sadly Henry died in April 2009 and Lily was unable to cope without him. After much trauma for us both Lily was put to sleep in Darwin at the end of June 2009.

Who: Brian Palmer and Jackie Oakey
Port: Dartmouth, UK