Sailing With Sora

Terry and Karen circumnavigating the globe currently in Phuket, Thailand. Will remain in the area for a refit and some road trips around Asia for a year or so.

09 December 2010
02 March 2009 | Phuket
02 March 2009 | `Phuket
23 February 2009 | Andaman Sea
19 February 2009 | Bangkok
06 February 2009 | Thailand
24 December 2008 | Langkawi, Malaysia
09 December 2008 | Penang
06 December 2008 | Penang
02 December 2008 | Penang
29 November 2008 | Kuhla Lumpur
25 November 2008 | The Straits of Melaka
15 November 2008 | Johor Bahru
02 November 2008 | Singapore
17 October 2008 | Kumai
10 October 2008 | Borneo (Kalimantan)
09 October 2008 | Borneo
03 October 2008 | Kangean
28 September 2008 | Return to Lovina
28 September 2008 | Cruise to Lombok

Civilization

24 November 2007 | Opua, New Zealand
Karen
Hello Me Lovelies,

Our last month was spent in Tonga with a generator down and tenuous computer access, so we owe you some stories and pictures. Check back for Tongan entries when we get tired of NZ.

Sora reached New Zealand late Monday evening after 6 days of high winds and confused seas. We sailed from Tonga to Minerva Reef 11/10 in beautiful conditions where we waited for a weather window on to Zealand. Unfortunately our 2 days at the reef were overcast and rainy so we didn't dive or even snorkel, but we did catch tuna and mahi! This passage is noted for bad weather and we had our share, but over all it was a quick trip with the last day calm, beam reach with 7 to 8 knots boat speed - fantastic. The majority of our cruising buddies left 2 weeks before Sora and arrived 1 day earlier. I did it, I did it - made passage over the cruel South Pacific and lived to tell you all about it!

As we were approaching Bay of Islands the sun was setting behind jagged peaks painting the sky fiery orange. The last rays shone on pine forests and rolling green hills which fell off into the harbor. Cassie turned to me and said, "Mom, this smells like Montana." The air is crisp, cool and dry so unlike the humid tropical islands where we've spent the last 8 months - invigorating! Welcome to NZ!

I've done it again - this is the most gorgeous country I've ever seen! Fresh air, clean streets, verdant forests, profusion of flowers, neat homes, warm funny people. What more could you ask?

We checked in at Opua and plan to stay here for a few days while we trade horror stories with other cruisers. Then we're on to Whangarei where we'll buy a vehicle and explore this gorgeous country. The local yacht club hosted a Thanks Giving (for safe passage as opposed to our harvest Thanksgiving) dinner Thursday. We thought of you all as we chowed down on our turkey.

Hope you're all well and are enjoying a beautiful autumn.

Love, Sora
Comments
Vessel Name: Sora
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 55' Ketch
Hailing Port: Pensacola Beach, FL
Crew: Terry & Karen Kreitzberg
About: Terry Kreitzberg is retired and he and his wife are in the process of a circumnavigation. Not in any hurry, will sail till the wheels come off.

Who are we, and just what do we think we're doing?

Who: Terry & Karen Kreitzberg
Port: Pensacola Beach, FL