sorayacat

Vessel Name: SORAYA
Vessel Make/Model: Offshore 42
Hailing Port: Australia
Crew: Brian & Soraya
24 August 2018 | Marina Island. Lumut Malaysia
17 April 2018
02 April 2018 | Patong sunset with departing cruise ship
18 March 2018
22 January 2018 | Phuket
08 December 2016
14 October 2016
03 October 2016
30 September 2016 | Chalong, Phuket
23 September 2016
15 September 2016
29 July 2016
13 July 2016
12 July 2016
31 March 2016
19 March 2016
Recent Blog Posts
25 August 2018

Exciting day - life in Malaysia

Well back in the water, after all the work Soraya looks like a million dollars.

24 August 2018 | Marina Island. Lumut Malaysia

Nothing is Free

We finally made it back to Lumut & Pankor Marina Island.

17 April 2018

Water festival

02 April 2018 | Patong sunset with departing cruise ship

Murphies visit & anchoring

18 March 2018

Fishing trip

Sorry for the lack of posts .

22 January 2018 | Phuket

New years sailing.

We started the new year by picking up our long time friend Julius from Patong.

Exciting day - life in Malaysia

25 August 2018
Well back in the water, after all the work Soraya looks like a million dollars.
The paint is all shiny like new & the teak is glowing it lovely orange brown
I do believe she has never looked so good.

All set for the next 2 years or hopefully a bit more.

On wed 22-8-18 it was merdeka day the Malaysian independence day so a holiday for all.

We too out 2 young men we became friendly with from a restaurant in Setiawan on the boat for half day cruise.
One from Indonesia & the other from India.
They both work 7 days a week so it was a once in a life time opportunity for them to experience a life on a cruising catamaran.
Both were really exited & had a drive of the boat.
We went out to Pankor island, where we anchored & the had a swim. Both were going to swim in long pants & sleeves out of modesty & respect for Soraya; until we both told them to strip off to swimmers.
They we both still reluctant until I explained the on the boat it was Australia not Malaysia & ozzy rules apply on board, then it was no problem.
A storm could be seen moving in so we headed back as the wind came up, so up went the head sail for a short sail.
We put the sail away & turned in to the marina channel about a mile away.

A dinghy could be seen going crazy like some one on a JetSki about half a mile away.
As we got closer there appeared to be no one on board, I asked Soraya to get the binoculars & sure enough there was no one on board.
I immediately realise there must be some one in the water & looked for them.
Found them approx 200meters in front of us waving frantically to attract our attention.
Then briefed the larger of our two guests to help get him out of the water.
I approached slowly with about a meter & a half clearance from the side of the boat,then hit reverse on both engines fairly hard as we came along side.
With 15-20kts of wind up our bum I was unable to stop in time, however our guest was on the ball & grabbed him as we went past.
A few seconds later he was onboard & rescued.
It turned out it was Abe (abey) the sealift driver from the marina.
He was absolutely 100% exhausted another 10-15 min in the water & he would have drowned.
Safely on board he was unable to move off the rear steps for about 10 min.
The storm was moving in & the wind rising.
So we proceeded to anchor.
It proceeded to rain for the next 60-90min.

A very lucky day for Abe who has a young family.

As they say here it was the will of Allah that we were in the right place & right time to save him.

A boat came out from the marina with Shah driving & took Abe off, the went to get the dinghy but were unable to catch for about an hour until it ran out of fuel.

The picture is of Soraya, Putra & the other unfortunately I do not know his name.
He was the one who pulled Abe out. The red baseball cap
If you read this abe I think you should visit restaurant Sri Rose & thank him without his prompt action we would have had to go round for a second attempt

So enough with the drama.

We took them back to the restaurant & said our goodbyes, both of them had tears in their eyes & did not want us to go.
I know the both had a wonderful time & experience they will remember for the rest of their lives.
It give both Soraya & I a warm & fuzzy feeling that we could do this for them, not to mention saving Abe life.

So a great day had by all

Brian & Soraya
Comments

About & Links