Adventures aboard Soul Purpose

03 April 2013 | Mouchoir Bank (Atlantic Ocean) and South Caicos, Turks & Caicos Islands
28 March 2013 | Sapodilla Bay, Providenciales, Turks & Caicos Islands
27 March 2013 | Georgetown, Great Exuma
03 March 2013 | Rudder Cut Cay, Exumas
22 February 2013 | Allans Cay to Staniel Cay, Exumas
15 February 2013 | Paradise Island - Atlantis Resort
14 February 2013 | Nassau, Bahamas
06 February 2013 | Governor's Harbour, Eleuthera
02 February 2013 | Pineapple Cays, Eleuthera
19 January 2013 | Great Harbour Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas
08 November 2012
29 May 2012 | Dickies Cay to John Cash Point (near Marsh Harbor)
28 May 2012 | Fisher’s Bay to Cistern to Man-O-War Cay / Dickies Cay (back and forth across the Sea of Abaco)
27 May 2012 | Green Turtle Cay to Fishers Bay, Great Guana Cay
23 May 2012 | Crab Cay to Bluff House Marina, Green Turtle Cay
22 May 2012 | Crab Cay, Little Abaco Island to Crab Cay off Manjack Cay
21 May 2012 | Great Sale Cay to Green Turtle Cay, umm, nope, how about Crab Cay on Little Abaco Island instead?
19 May 2012 | Lake Worth, FL to West End (Settlement Point), Grand Bahama Island
18 May 2012 | Stuart, FL to Lake Worth (West Palm Beach), FL

Days 18-21: The softest powder sand beaches!

06 February 2013 | Governor's Harbour, Eleuthera
Low to mid 80s!
We finally got a solid internet connection so I've been working hard to add some photos from the first few weeks of the trip...check out the new albums:

Bahamas 2013 Photos

After relaxing for one night at the Pineapple Cays / South Palmetto Point after Team Nauti left, we decided to take a nice leisurely sail northward to Governor's Harbour. We had light winds from the East so we unfurled the gennaker and made a steady 5 kts. The weather was great and we needed to make some water and charge the batteries, so the time was well spent on the water.

We pulled into the capital of Eleuthera early afternoon and snagged a primo spot just at the edge of the sandy beach - I love having a cat with shallow draft...allows us to snuggle in tight to the coastline and stay out of the grassy bottom areas :)

Anyway, Governor's Harbour is a much more active place than some of the other areas of Eleuthera we've been too, probably cause it houses all of the government buildings and staff. There are plenty of stores, places to eat/relax and of course the Atlantic side pink sand beaches.

Upon arrival, we had one mission...coconut bread for Derek. We made it off the boat by 4:30 and took the short walk up to the local bakery. Fortunately they were sill open, but no coconut bread left. Actually, they were so nice they confinced us NOT to buy an pasteries but rather wait 'till the morning when they were hot and fresh. We were also promised a chance at a breakfast sandwich and some coconut bread.

So back to the boat we headed, swinging by Buchaneers for a quick appetizer before heading to the water. We considered going out to see a band at The Beach House, but the walk was up a gigantic hill and a good distance, so we decided to stay in and relax for the night instead. We've both started reading books again, crazy I know!, so we actually look forward to a quiet night on the hook.

For the first time in a while, we were on a time schedule for the day...get to the bakery in time for: breakfast sandwiches, fresh pasteries and coconut bread. We left a little later than planned (true D&R style) but this time it was due to some work emails and calls in the monring. We reached the bakery around 11 AM and it was packed! So packed, they were already out of breakfast sandwiches, which D had his heart set on. They also hadn't made the coconut bread yet, but told us to come back at 1 PM. We picked up a coconut stuffed danish and some scones before heading to a local breakfast restaurant in hopes to find D a breakfast sandwich... We sat down at a small table, alone in the restaurant, only to get the menu and find out they stopped serving breakfast at 10:30! No b-sandwich for D :( Rather than eat lunch food, we handed back the menus, stepped outside and stopped at the grocery store where we picked up some fresh veggies, corn chips and they even had cheez-its!

I made some killer breakfast sandwiches on the boat (D was happy), then we chilled out for a bit and got some more work done before heading back to the bakery (again) for 1PM's coconut bread. Success! At least we thought so, the woman at the bakery even went into the back to get us a loaf of bread that came right out of the oven...it was still warm when we walked back the boat. After a detour to check out the south-side of town and the other beach near Cupid's Cay along with a meet up and chat with fellow cruisers, Jim and Sue (S/V Blackthorn) - who happen to be from MA also, we sliced up the bread to get a taste. It smelled more like cinnamon and we didn't see any coconut flakes (I did get one, only one, in one bite) - even though we're not positive it was coconut bread, it was still awesome!

On the way up...
So good we cooked up some french toast this morning for breakfast! I reviewed the Explorer charts and guide books in an attempt to figure out when to move northward then we jumped in Soul Mate (the dinghy) and took a hike up a gigantic hill, then down again to the most beautiful powder sand beach you've ever run your toes through! We were the only ones for miles...weird to have such a beautiful place all to yourself. It was so desolate that after lying on the beach for a few hours (the winds were light, sun was blazing and it was the a perfect balance for a little siesta), I jumped in the water sans (w/out) bikini bottoms! I didn't want to have a wet bathing suit for the walk home... :)

Garbage Man

The beach was beautiful, the sand was soft and the walk/hike there was a good way to get our exersice in for the day. Little did we know, we would walk another 5 miles before the days end! Making it at least 7 miles total today! We got to the top of the hill and rather than head back to the settlement, we took a left and went to check out The Beach House (the place we were going to go a few nights earlier). We went down the hill again (different side) and then up and down rolling hills for a while. When we reached The Beach House at 2:45, we found a sign saying they were closed at 3 PM for a private party! Ugh! We passed a sign for Tippy's which said it was another mile, so off we went...another mile away from the settlement, on foot. After what seemed like forever, we came upon Tippy's...praying it was open for a drink and maybe a quick bite. With one bottle of water left for the walk home, it was crucial to get some fluids before treking back. Thankfully they were open...Tippy's is a cute beachside bar and restaurant, perfect place to sit and relax with the ocean sounds and breezes in the background. They had closed the kitchen until dinner, so we sipped down a few Kaliks, got enough of a buzz to lessen the thought of our 3 mile walk ahead of us.
Tippy's beachside view
1.5 hours later, with sore feet (we stupidly wore flip flops today not thinking we were going hiking) and after having worked for our dinner, we rolled back into the settlement, back onto Soul Purpose and D cooked up an awesome tortellini with alfredo sauce. Yum! We both devoured it, then I proceeded to nap on the couch while D did a little work. Obviously the nap helped, as I'm now able to write this blog! A hot shower (with the last of our water) was a much needed thing (which I took in the middle of writing this), now it's time for bed...maybe some light reading first...

We'll set sail tomorrow AM - not sure to where, but defintely North up the Eleutheran coastline!
Comments
Vessel Name: Soul Purpose
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40
Hailing Port: Portsmouth, RI
Crew: Derek & Rachel
About:
Soul Purpose is a Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40 catamaran. She is 40' in length with a 21'6" beam and was manufactured in France. [...]
Soul Purpose's Photos - Main
1 Photo | 9 Sub-Albums
Created 2 February 2013
The first of our adventures aboard Soul Purpose
3 Sub-Albums
Created 8 November 2012
25 days in the Abacos (our first trip outside of US waters) May-June 2012
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 8 November 2012
Our Loggerhead Family Photos - Summer 2012
30 Photos
Created 8 November 2012

Home on the Ocean

Who: Derek & Rachel
Port: Portsmouth, RI

Our Trip & Current Location

View Tracking


2013 Copyright. D&R Ottaviano
2013 Copyright. D&R Ottaviano