Voyages of Southern Cross DQQ

Narrative and photo account of our sailing experiences on Southern Cross

Minerva Reef

We had wonderful wind for sailing down to Minerva Reef, 20-25 knots abaft the port beam, so we were on a broad reach doing 7+ knots most of the time. The seas were a bit rough but gradually calmed down. Sasha and Jenny are seasoned sailors who have done a lot of long distance sailing, so they were very helpful in managing the boat.






We each stood watch for three hours at a time through the nights. It was a real pleasure to be able to get 9 hours of sleep a night, as Phil and I are used to alternating 3 hour watches which can be quite fatiguing. We arrived at Minerva Reef about 3AM and hove to (backing the foresail to almost stop the boat) until sunrise when we continued on to the reef. Around 8AM we slowly passed through the 1/4 mile wide pass between waves breaking over the reef on both sides. We were soon anchored close to Sky Blue Eyes and Parotia along with fifteen other boats waiting for a good weather window to proceed on to New Zealand.

So far there have been a series of gales over the north island of NZ preventing our departure. We have spent our time walking on the reef, skin diving for lobster (only one seen and uncatchable), and stowing the boat further while making minor repairs. Of course Carl and I played music one night. Phil and I have been learning to play Go, but are not good enough yet to compete with Sasha. Jenny has been practicing the ukelele. And I have learned several new guitar pieces. We are looking forward to getting underway again soon.






Comments