Voyages of Southern Cross DQQ

Narrative and photo account of our sailing experiences on Southern Cross

Half way from Opua, NZ, to Vuda, Fiji

Except for a general lack of wind everything has been proceeding smoothly aboard Southern Cross. Seas have been calm and we have had only a few light showers. Air temperature is slowly rising, so coats are no longer needed and we are looking forward to the warm waters of Fiji. We have been making about 150 nm daily motorsailing, with several periods of sailing in 10-15 knots of wind. Today we are flying the Code 0, a large sail off our bowsprit, and in 12 knots of wind are making six knots.

Our crew, Cam and Agustin, are doing very well. Cam's cooking has been excellent, and Agustin has been very helpful in running the boat. PredictWind, our weather software, as well as SailMail Grib files, both show light winds the next few days but then stronger winds on Thursday and Friday, so we still hope to arrive at Vuda Point on Friday and with luck clear customs there before the 3PM cutoff. Otherwise we will continue on another hour to Lautoka to check in. We are looking forward to seeing Carole who will be flying in to Nadi on Sunday. And then we will begin exploring Fiji. One of our first stops will be Musket Cove, where we plan to join the Musket Cove Yacht Club. It is reported to be a beautiful and lots of fun place.

Comments