Voyages of Southern Cross DQQ

Narrative and photo account of our sailing experiences on Southern Cross

Return to Musket Cove and Denarau

It was a long motorsail back along the coast of Viti Levu to the Navula Passage. We made good time and expected smooth sailing once we were inside the reef, but once inside we found we had 25 knots of headwind with considerable chop instead of the calm 10 knot winds that had been predicted. So the last two hours getting into Musket Cove were tiring, but we made it in in time to pick up a mooring and make it in to the resort for a very nice celebratory dinner. We had made it all around the islands of Fiji without any navigational reef-contacting mishaps!

The following morning we motored over to Denarau and got a slip for several nights. This is a big superyacht marina with a fancy mall with multiple shops and restaurants. It is very much like the big marinas in California, and very comfortable and enjoyable. I rode the electric bike over to the country club and was able to strengthen my tennis arm hitting against a backboard. After several days Phil and Carole flew back to California to assist with the delivery of their new grandson. So I was back to single handling the boat again.

Comments