Cruising Bass Strait and Tasmania

Vessel Name: Bulletproof
Vessel Make/Model: Noelex 30
Hailing Port: Blairgowrie Vic, Australia
Recent Blog Posts
18 March 2012

Cruising Bass Strait and Tasmania: voyage complete

after crossing Bass Strait twice and circumnavigating Tasmania, a journey totalling over 1400 nautical miles, Bulletproof is home without a single scratch or breakage.

17 March 2012

Apollo Bay

what a great sail across bass strait - 20 knot westerly, genoa and full main powering boat along at 8-10 knots.

17 March 2012

setting sail across Bass Strait - sunrise over Cape Wickham, King Island

goodbye Tasmanian waters - memories of a lifetime...

16 March 2012

albatross bidding us farewell at New Year Island

goodbye to all the albatross that have flown with us and kept us company for each sail of the trip - truly artists of the air

16 March 2012

anchorage at New Year Island at north end of King Island

short 3 hr sail to top of king for the night, our jumping off point for the 57nm crossing of Bass Strait to Apollo Bay and back into Victorian waters. A fairly open anchorage but surprisingly well protected from the swell. Three Fishing boats were there and having made friends with nearly the entire king island fleet over the last few days we were given plenty of help as to where to drop anchor.

15 March 2012

The Restaurant With No Food, King Island

spent day checking out Currie - great little place, redeeming King Island as a place of appeal. Had lunch at the restaurant with no food which was really cool. Sited right on the harbour, it is a fully set restaurant decorated in a maritime theme with great artistic talent. You just wander in with your [...]

Currie Harbour, King Island; stormy horizons, waiting for the right weather window to cross Bass Strait

14 March 2012
We decided that the potential of finding something of interest at Currie (something accutely lacking at Grassy) whilst we waited for the right weather window was worth the risk of leaving the sheltered harbour of Grassy to the unknown harbour of Currie, which was described as 'not recommended' in our cruising guide due to westerly swell which can break right across the entrance. To do this we had to journey 30nm right around King Island from the east side to the west, via the southern cape of Stokes Point.

What started out as a very relaxing and pleasant sail down the east coast soon escalated in excitement levels as we approached Stokes Point. A huge curling break smashed along the length of the long point as the rolling SW swell, unimpeded since south America, reared up, sending plumes of spray into the air from the opposing northerly wind, something you would expect to see at the pipeline break in Hawaii. It was a truly spectacular sight. Our course required us to do a u-turn around this surf break, meaning we viewed these waves firstly from in front, then side on looking through the tubes, then from behind all just a few hundred metres away. It certainly got the adrenalin levels going being in close proximity to such powerful waves.

We were able to keep sailing all the way up the west coast, the spectacle of roaring surf breaks on reefs all around us continuing. We sailed within a few hundred metres of Cataraqui Point, site of Australia's worst ever shipwreck where 399 people drowned, the heavily breaking British Admiral Reef, another infamous wreck amongst King Islands ship wreck graveyard. With at least 87 wrecks, King island is Australia's most prolific ship wreck waters.

So with this context, when we commenced our approach into Currie Harbour to see breaking surf all around near the entrance, harnesses went on, storm boards were put in place and keel lock down pins were inserted. Right at that moment the prospect of enduring days of boredom in Grassy in its dull but safe harbour appeared very attractive.

Thankfully a small tinnie raced out to meet us and reassured us that she'll be right mate, just stick to the leads but don't stray off them because there's not much margin for error.

No kidding, the surf seemed to be breaking on the reef right next to us as we made the entrance. It was actually all fine, just scary for first timers.

We found a good spot alongside the wharf amongst the local fishing fleet and had soon exchanged stories with nearly everyone of the very friendly fisherman. From the interest we created, seemed like visiting boats was quite a novelty in these parts. They all asked us what Stokes point was like telling stories of how big the surf gets and how it's one of three places in the world where ocean tidal streams intersect and literally collide.

So for the next bit of excitement for the day, the harbour was a bit rolly and while we were talking to some fisherman, both our bow lines came off allowing the boat to swing around in the fresh wind toward the big steel cray boat next to us. Narrowly averting a damaging collision we all scrambled to reattach lines and regain control of the boat. In the middle of cleaning a squid, I managed to spray ink everywhere but we were very lucky. If the fisherman hadn't of been there, if we were below deck or off the boat it would of been a nasty little incident.

So all in all the day certainly delivered what we wished for in terms of something a bit more exciting than hanging out reading books in Grassy Harbour. Careful what you wish for.
Comments

About & Links