Captain's Log (supplemental) March 2007
18 March 2007 | Bridgeton New Bern NC
Saturday March 17, 2007
The last log entry had Southern Star on the hard waiting for bottom paint. I was notified on Friday that the work was done but the weather a Bridgeton was not cooperating. Strong steady northwest winds have caused the levels of the Neuse River to drop so low that Southern Star literally would not float if launched. When I spoke to the Yard Master on Friday he offered to lift the boat into the slings on Friday and launch on Saturday if the water rose as expected. We arrived at midday on Saturday and found the boat ready to launch but the water level was still too low. We all kept an eye on the water level hoping for some improvement. At one point we even did a scientific water level measurement with a stick and determined the level to be marginal but still not adequate. We waited all afternoon in the cold, hoping for the water to rise but it did not. The depth log transducer had been replaced and I worked on getting it re-installed. This was at least getting something accomplished.
The Yard Master volunteered to come over on Sunday morning to launch if the water was high enough. This was much appreciated so Judy and I decided to stay the night at a hotel across the river in New Bern since the temperature was to reach a low of 29 degrees. We were able to have a short visit with our friends Richard and Frances, the almost New Bern residents. We went out to dinner at a neat little Italian place near their new home.
We checked the water level at the hotel before we went to bed and again about 2am. It seemed to me that the water had risen so we were looking forward to a brisk sail back to Whortonsville.
Sunday March 18, 2007
When we returned to the yard at 7:30am I was astonished to find that the water had not risen at all. I even re-measured scientifically (with the stick) and found that the level was exactly where it was the night before. This early morning launch would have been the last chance because since the trip home was so long. We decided to head for home since it was just too cold to do anything else.
On our way out of New Bern we did stop and check the accommodations at Bridge Pointe Marina. It looks really nice and will probably be a great destination for a summer cruise.
It's always fun to spend the weekend with my first mate and we had a good time in spite of the unfortunate turn of events. Oh well. Better luck next time. We left for home early, stopped for a nice lunch and did some antique shopping.
Stay tuned, Southern Star will be moved soon. We want her back in service and the Yard Master needs the space.