Port: Whortonsville, NC
21 November 2020 | Whortonsville Ensign Harbor
09 December 2019 | Whortonsville, NC
15 September 2019 | Whortonsville, NC
10 May 2019 | Whortonsville, NC
10 May 2019 | Whortonsville, NC
01 October 2018 | Whortonsville, NC
11 September 2018 | Whortonsville, NC
05 September 2018 | Whortonsville, NC
29 May 2018 | Whortonsville, NC
02 May 2018 | Whortonsville, NC
07 December 2017 | Whortonsville
09 August 2017 | Whortonsville / Oriental
02 July 2017 | Whortonsville
15 May 2017 | Whortonsville
22 March 2017 | Whortonsville, NC
05 December 2016 | Whortonsville, NC
01 November 2016 | Whortonsville, NC
29 September 2016 | Beaufort / Whortonsville
28 August 2016 | Whortonsville, NC
13 June 2016 | Belhaven NC

Jack and Vanessa June 2008

16 June 2008 | Oriental, NC
Lane Kendall
My brother Jack and sister-in-law Vanessa had been to the coast with us before. Last year's trip was fun but due to some weather issues and an engine failure, Vanessa did not get to go out on the boat. She seemed to enjoy the trip and was willing to give it another shot. Sometimes it's difficult, with work and other obligations, for all of us to plan an outing but we managed to get something on the calendar for this weekend. Our plan was for Jack and Vanessa to have a room at the Oriental Marina & Inn and for us to rent a transient slip at the same facility. The sailing part of the trip would be from Ensign Harbor to the Oriental Marina & Inn.

Friday June 13, 2008
I took a vacation day so that the weekend would not seem so rushed. Jack and Vanessa had taken the day as well. We had not planned to travel together because our schedules did not match. As it happened, both cars left home at about the same time. Judy and I had ldft most of our packing for Friday morning, se we were really busy for a while getting out the door. We made a stop in Asheboro to look at tile for our everlasting bathroom-remodeling project. The good news is that we have finally made some decisions about the countertop tile. Our trip to the coast is long but not unpleasant. Most of the time we try to spend the minimum amount of time getting to the boat but sometimes it's nice to take our time, make some stops and enjoy the ride. We needed a few grocery items and I needed to renew my fishing license. What a combination! Leave it to the American free-enterprise system to give us Wal-Mart, where Judy could grocery shop while renewed my license. We also made a quick stop at a used book store in Bayboro. We seldom have the opportunity to shop at "Buckhorn's" because of the timing of our trips. We picked up a few bargains and continued on to the boat.

The weather was hot but not oppressive. By the time we arrived there was a pleasant breeze and the humidity was not quite so high. We got unloaded, did all the boat chores and even had a few minutes to relax before we were to meet Jack and Vanessa for dinner. Our friend Art had been working on his classic Tartan 30 all week. We invited him to go to dinner with us and he accepted. We met at the Toucan Restaurant in Oriental for a pleasant dinner. We made plans to return at 9:30am to transport our passengers to Ensign Harbor for a sail.

Saturday June 14, 2008
Judy and I were up early having coffee and checking the weather. We had a light breakfast and arrived back in Oriental at the appointed time to pick up our guests. The little town was busy with an art show on the grounds of the Marina. I hoped it would not be terribly crowded on Saturday night. Staying in a transient slip is kind of like being in a fishbowl. A certain amount is ok but a big crowd can be annoying.

The trip back to the boat (Ensign Harbor) took only 20 minutes. We were ready to shove off by 10:30. Art had invited our friends Bill and Susan out for a sail on his Tartan. We got a short visit before both boats got underway. Bill and Susan took some pictures of us under sail, and we took some pictures of Art's boat. I hope the pictures turn out. The weather was cooperating so far. When we got out to the Neuse river we found South winds at about 8 knots. For our boat, this is almost ideal. Smaller boats require less wind. It urns out that Vanessa was very handy at steering the boat under sail. With a little coaching she steered for quite some time and did very well. Southern Star has a very responsive helm and it does not require much movement of the wheel to cause a course change. Most people tend to over steer, causing an erratic path, but Vanessa has a steady hand and did very well steering. She seemed to enjoy it too. We had at least two hours of excellent sailing and the weather was still very nice. With the wind from the South, we had made very little progress toward our destination when the wind slackened and the boat speed dropped dramatically. I knew that the wind typically builds in the early afternoon but it was already 2 pm. I made a command decision to start the diesel and motor into South River just to kill some time, hoping the wind would get just a bit stronger. It took 45 minutes to do the South River tour which consisted of going through the channel, looking at the cemetery through the binoculars and going back out the channel. Back in the river, the wind had not increase as I had hoped but it was a bit stronger. We killed the engine and set the sails. After another hour or so, I decided we needed to proceed to our destination. The wind was very weak and it was really getting hot. I do not mind hot weather at all, but not everyone feels the same way. We proceeded to Oriental where we were expected. We got tied up without incident.

My plan on the trip down was to dazzle everyone with my fishing ability. My plan went awry when the only fish I hooked managed to unhook himself before I got him close to the boat. I assured the entire crew that it felt like a monster fish but since he got loose we would have to make other arrangements for dinner. As soon as we arrived, Jack went in search of seafood. Jack likes fish as much as I do and luckily there is a fresh fish market in walking distance from our slip that had Mahi-Mahi and fresh local shrimp. The dinner menu was set. What could be better? Judy prepared brown rice to got with the bean salad, and bread we had brought from home. I grilled the shrimp and fish on the ship's gas grill. As soon as the sun went down the cockpit was comfortable.

Dinner for four in the cockpit of a 30 footer is an exercise in patience. Plates are held on laps and only a few items will fit on the tiny cockpit table. We managed somehow and I heard no complaints. The meal was outstanding and while we were eating, the live band started playing just across the sidewalk on the marina's deck. This was a very civilized band that catered to an older crowd, which was what had gathered top listen. They played some familiar oldies and young and old were dancing and having a great time.

The long hot day caught up with everyone at about the same time the band quit playing. We made arrangements to meet early for breakfast and parted company for the night.

Sunday June 15, 2008
Judy and I woke early because we knew we needed to get the boat home but we wanted to spend as much time as possible with Jack and Vanessa. We checked the weather over coffee. The forecast was a bit murky. It was not a disturbing forecast because the winds were to be light, but there was mention of rain. We had a very nice breakfast on the deck at the local deli. Jack and Vanessa were not planning to go back to Ensign Harbor with us but rather head for home taking a completely different route. At one point, we all found ourselves huddled under Southern Star's bimini, waiting out a short but serious downpour.

We parted company at about 10am. Jack and Vanessa left by car and we left by boat. Getting Southern Star out of her slip was a bit tricky because there was another boat on our side of the town dock. We had spectators as usual. I'm not sure what kind of score we received for our launch but we did not damage any boats on the way out. The weather was not great but it was not raining and the cloudy skies kept the temperature down. We needed to get back to the dock since we had to be back to the real world on Monday. Motoring was the only way to go. It was not a big loss because the wind was very light. The highlight of the trip home was a dolphin sighting. We saw several 50 yards in front of the boat and again as they surfaced only feet away and dove under the boat. Each time I see dolphins up close, I realize just how large these animals are. The trip from Oriental to Ensign Harbor is only about two hours using the diesel. We arrived at our dock shortly after noon. We greeted friends, packed, covered and did our boat chores and left for home at about 2:30.

Sharing a good time with family and friends makes it even better. We enjoyed having Jack and Vanessa this weekend. I think they enjoyed themselves. Hopefully we can work out a schedule so they can return soon.

Captain's Note
The Southern Star crew has received a very special gift. Not too long ago, our friends Fred and Ruth fished the waters off Long Beach North Carolina in a vessel named "Land's End". They could catch enough fish in a few trips, to treat the whole community to a fish fry. I know they enjoyed their time on the water as much as we do. I heard lots of stories of happy and scary adventures. Fred passed away a few years ago and the boat was sold. Ruth retained Land's End's boat hook and gave it to us. A boat hook is a frequently used tool on any boat and now every time that Southern Star sails a little part of Land's End will sail with her, and each time we use the hook we will think of Fred and Ruth.

Thank you Ruth for such a thoughtful gift.

Land's End's boat hook
Boat Hook

Comments
Vessel Name: Southern Star
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 30
Hailing Port: Whortonsville, NC
About:
Southern Star is owned and sailed by Lane and Judy Kendall from Mount Pleasant, NC Southern Star (formerly Sea Breeze II) started her life on Lake Lanier near Atlanta. [...]
Extra:
1983 Catalina 30 Tall Rig with Bow Sprint
Builder: Catalina Yachts
Designer: Frank Butler

Dimensions:
LOA: 29' 11"
LWL: 25'
Beam: 10' 10"
Displacement: 10,300 lbs
Draft: 5'3"
Engine: Universal M-25 21HP
Tankage:
Fuel 18 [...]
Home Page: http://www.svsouthernstar.com

Port: Whortonsville, NC