Southwinds Cruise

Vessel Name: Southwind
Vessel Make/Model: Ericson 35 II
Hailing Port: Alameda Ca
08 June 2010 | Alameda
18 November 2009 | Mission Bay
12 November 2009 | Santa Barbara
07 November 2009 | Santa Barbara
18 September 2009 | Home
Recent Blog Posts
08 June 2010 | Alameda

For those still keeping in touch

Its been quite a while since I entered anything here. We dropped Kenneth in San Diego and headed out planning on going on south into Mexico. Within a couple of hours more electrical issues cropped up and we decided to return to port in Alameda for repairs. I have been working on rewiring Southwind and [...]

18 November 2009 | Mission Bay

San Diego and holding for now

Well we made it into San Diego Sunday night. Had an alternator burn out so that got changed with minor problems. The current plan is to sail out of here Thursday morning with a few days spent sailing locally just checking things out before heading south (providing there are no more problems with the equipment). I think Kenneth is leaving us here so Duane and I will be the crew. No internet in the marina so I'm in a coffee shop downtown.

12 November 2009 | Santa Barbara

San Diego Bound (we hope lol)

Well

07 November 2009 | Santa Barbara

A long way around

We finally rolled into Santa Barbara last night 15 days after leaving Alameda. Following is a short description of our travels to this point.

18 September 2009 | Home

Hello

Hello to all

For those still keeping in touch

08 June 2010 | Alameda
Its been quite a while since I entered anything here. We dropped Kenneth in San Diego and headed out planning on going on south into Mexico. Within a couple of hours more electrical issues cropped up and we decided to return to port in Alameda for repairs. I have been working on rewiring Southwind and making a few other repairs. About 95% done now and planning to make some sea trials in July. Maybe a week or two in Monterey Bay and then a trip up the coast to the Eureka area.
The plans for the trip south continue. October is again the planned departure time with stops in Mexico, Costa Rica and Panama. I'm waiting on results of the oil spill in the gulf before deciding when I'm going through the canal. I may take a trip down to the Gallapagos first.

San Diego and holding for now

18 November 2009 | Mission Bay
Al--Weather is Great!!
Well we made it into San Diego Sunday night. Had an alternator burn out so that got changed with minor problems. The current plan is to sail out of here Thursday morning with a few days spent sailing locally just checking things out before heading south (providing there are no more problems with the equipment). I think Kenneth is leaving us here so Duane and I will be the crew. No internet in the marina so I'm in a coffee shop downtown.

San Diego Bound (we hope lol)

12 November 2009 | Santa Barbara
Al -- overcast with a few sprinkles
Well
we tested the engine this afternoon. Ran it at wide open throttle with
no problems so we are off in the morning at first light. Next stop
should be San Diego for visits to the border station for sailing
permits and a visit with Kenneths Grand dad.

A long way around

07 November 2009 | Santa Barbara
Al-- Weather is great today
We finally rolled into Santa Barbara last night 15 days after leaving Alameda. Following is a short description of our travels to this point.


Well it's been an interesting time so far. We left Alameda on Thursday Oct. 22 under sail. Heavy wind and seas were the norm requiring a double reef in the main and no head sail Thursday night. Friday was easier sailing until about 9 PM when the wind suddenly increased (30+knots and seas to 20+') and we dropped the main to motor for a while. At midnight due to several mechanical problems we were drifting out of control about 50 miles southwest of Monterey and called the Coast Guard for help. They arrived at 4 AM and got a tow line on us beginning a 10 hour tow into Monterey harbor. We were there for a week repairing and drying out the boat. Marjorie left the boat and returned to work during this period leaving 3 on board. Duane, Kenneth and I will continue the trip when ready.

We left Monterey harbor on Monday November 2 and had good sailing winds for about 2 hours then the wind died. We proceeded on the motor until Tuesday evening when we ran into heavy fog off San Luis Obispo and drifted about 6 miles off shore overnight. Wednesday dawned foggy and windless again and we proceeded on the motor. We are currently rounding Point Arguello headed for Cojo Anchorage below Point Conception where we plan to spend the night on the hook.

After rounding Point Arguello we picked up enough wind to get the head sail out to help the last few miles.

5 PM on November 4 we are anchored in Cojo Anchorage while Duane cooks dinner.

Left Cojo on Friday morning and sailed and motored to Santa Barbara where we will stay for a few days waiting out a storm at sea.

Hello

18 September 2009 | Home
Hello to all
This will be my main method of communicating with friends back home and around the world during my cruise.
The plan currently is to sail under the Golden Gate Bridge with the morning tide on Oct. 21,09 and turn south. Stops are planned in Santa Barbara and San Diego before crossing the border into Mexican waters. First long stop is planned to be La Paz, Mexico where we will start exploring the waters of the Sea of Cortez.
Southwind's Photos - Main
His first trip up in a bosuns chair. About 30' off the deck.
2 Photos
Created 12 November 2009
While we had problems due to a storm on our second day out some boater were unluckier. These boats were washed up.
4 Photos
Created 12 November 2009
Some pictures taken during the preparation and practice for the upcoming cruise
5 Photos
Created 22 September 2009

About & Links