31 23N 149 10W
17 August 2012 | 1361 to go to the SF Light Bucket (as of Midnight)
(from Bob) We had nice weather today. Wind mostly around 9 knots and VMG was around 5 knots.
Scott made potatoes, onions, garlic and chicken with rice. Very tasty.
The tape on the sail is still holding, but it doesn't look like it will hold for much longer.
Today was saw a floating fishing ball, but it was plastic, so we did not pursue picking it up. Around dinner time, I saw a large object floating high in the water. We diverted to investigate. It appeared to be some metal floating object. It was hard to tell what it was, and why it was floating and not sunk to the bottom. I speculated that it might be a refrigerator or freezer with a compressor tank to keep it floating. It looked to be commercial in nature as opposed to residential.
TOday we discussed minimum speeds before resorting to the engine. Scott had an interesting criteria of 4kts for 4 hours, 3kts for 3 hours, 2kts for 2 hours. He is more patient than me. I suggested less than 4 kts VMG would warrant motor use as we are down over 100 AH and could use the charging.
It sounds like we are approaching the high from wind reports from boats around us and to the north.
Our routing software is recommending continuing on Starboard until 36 35 N by 144 33, and then tacking to Port. It has been discussed among the crew and they are all happy with a Sunday arrival. Scott would prefer to enter SF during daylight hours as this is the first time sailing into SF bay. We will see if there is some way to make up a day or two on our arrival time. Current guestimations are suggesting 16 days transit which would put us in SF on Tuesday.