Splice

Catamaran cruising

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
24 July 2022
12 October 2021 | Kilada
01 October 2021
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Vathi
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Kilada
20 September 2021 | Ermioni
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
15 August 2021 | Paroikia
15 August 2021 | Finikas
04 August 2021 | Dhokos and Kithnos
04 August 2021 | Tyros
25 July 2021 | Kilada

Fuengirola – Hmm!.................Motoring – Hmm!

24 September 2015 | Fuegirola
C&C
The trip to Fuengirola was light winds all the way so we only managed about 30 minutes of sailing, the motors took the rest of the strain. An easy trip in flat water. Arriving at the marina we moored to the reception pontoon and expected to be given a berth to moor Med Style elsewhere. When Chris checked in they told him to stay on the reception pontoon so that made life easy for us. The cost was higher here, E55 a night and when we spent 30 minutes walking around it was an easy call to decide to leave the next day. Fuengirola is run down, tacky and full of cheap shops and restaurants with beer and chips prominent on the menus. We had a drink in a marina bar and it topped things by having a sign that informed that menus were actually available in Spanish if you asked! Needless to say the signage and voices in the street were all English. On our way back to Splice we saw the guy who took our lines on arrival and who had mentioned to Carolyn (whilst Chris was checking in), that he had a guitar onboard his boat. We stopped to have a chat and he quickly produced his guitar and let Chris have a strum. He played ‘Hotel California’ rather well for us – more practise needed for Chris!

The weather was not helping, as the forecast for the next two days was light winds on the nose and then the two following days, strong winds on the nose. We really didn’t want to be trapped in Fuengirola for 4 days so took the call to motor for the next couple of days and see if we can get to Almerimar before the stronger stuff gets here.
This is being drafted en-route as we motor along at about 6.5 knots across a flat sea. The wind is pretty much on the nose as promised but is slight enough not to matter. We are aiming for an anchorage called La Herradura near to Marina Del Este. Hopefully a quiet night on the hook and then the same again tomorrow (Friday) to get us up the coast to Almerimar.

We didn’t take any photo’s in Fuengirola so the shot is of Chris, rather wet, after falling in Estepona - spot the paserelle!
Comments
Vessel Name: Splice
Vessel Make/Model: Broadblue 435 Catamaran
Crew: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
About:
We have been married for over 25 years and have two grown up sons. Carolyn has dual English/French nationality and speaks French well. [...]
Extra: Contact us at splice435(the at sign)gmail.com

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie