Splice

Catamaran cruising

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
24 July 2022
12 October 2021 | Kilada
01 October 2021
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Vathi
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Kilada
20 September 2021 | Ermioni
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
15 August 2021 | Paroikia
15 August 2021 | Finikas
04 August 2021 | Dhokos and Kithnos
04 August 2021 | Tyros
25 July 2021 | Kilada

Almerimar

03 October 2015 | Almerimar
C&C
We left the anchorage about 08.30 hrs and had another very light wind day, frustrating but we wanted to get to Almerimar for Chris’s birthday and to catch up with friends before they left for the winter so, engines on and plug away. The highest wind-speed of the day was 6 knots for a short time, mostly 2/3 knots. We were directed straight to a berth by the mariniero on arrival at Almerimar at about 15.30 hrs as the office apparently closes all afternoon until 16.00 hrs. Standard game of trying to get the right tension between the front lines of the ‘Med Moor’ and our stern lines to the quay so that the gap is just right for the passerelle to bridge it, we are learning! The mariniero then took Chris round in the car to check in, it’s a very long way as you have to go around the edges of all the ‘darsenas’ (docking areas). At E41 per night not the cheapest marina despite its reputation as low priced. The cat moorings are out on an extended quay into the middle of the protected area but are exposed to a long fetch in many directions and are very isolated from the other boats (maybe they don’t like cats?) The only theoretical advantage is that they are in a gated area as opposed to the open to the road situation of most moorings, whilst we were there however, the gate was never locked. We had considered this as an overwinter mooring but would not have been happy in the berth they put us. Chris asked for other options but no one showed any interest. We were even more certain that it wasn’t suitable when a strong easterly sprung up that night and at 22.00 hrs we needed to start the engines and motor away from the quay to prevent being blown back, despite having previously stressed the lines under power. Slackening the stern and taking in another foot on the bows seemed to give us clearance but the passerelle was only just touching. Luckily the wind abated quite quickly.
Almerimar is a large docking area intended to be surrounded by flats, shops and restaurants. Similar to many developments in Spain the flats look largely unsold. There are a few shops in the blocks, though most are bricked-up, a reasonable supermarket at the edge of the development covered all we needed. There are quite a number of restaurants and bars operating, we had a moderate Italian meal in one the first night and on Saturday watched the England Rugby game against Wales in the ‘Stumble Inn’ with Neil and Susie from Joshua’s Wake and their friends, Fred and Maria. Good game, wrong result!
Neil and Susie leant us their bikes and we did the trip to the fort/watchtower at the far end of the bay, about 10km total and worth it for the small museum of flintlocks, other pistols and 17th Century uniforms they have there. As we arrived a few motorbikes passed us, then more, and then a stream of bikes , big Harleys, smaller modern bikes, fancy three wheelers etc. Around 150 bikes were in this parade and of course they all headed for this watchtower/museum to stop for their lunch. We walked around a museum packed with Hells Angels and every other sort of biker, then they all roared off and the place was deserted, just us. There seemed to be three or four clubs involved so we assumed it was a Sunday rally of some sort. Interesting bikes, Carolyn was quite keen on the three wheelers until she realised she’d have to wear a helmet!

Photo: Carolyn’s new ride??
Comments
Vessel Name: Splice
Vessel Make/Model: Broadblue 435 Catamaran
Crew: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
About:
We have been married for over 25 years and have two grown up sons. Carolyn has dual English/French nationality and speaks French well. [...]
Extra: Contact us at splice435(the at sign)gmail.com

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie