Splice

Catamaran cruising

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
24 July 2022
12 October 2021 | Kilada
01 October 2021
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Vathi
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Kilada
20 September 2021 | Ermioni
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
15 August 2021 | Paroikia
15 August 2021 | Finikas
04 August 2021 | Dhokos and Kithnos
04 August 2021 | Tyros
25 July 2021 | Kilada

Crossing to Menorca/Ciududella – mooring rip-off

22 June 2016 | Ciududella, Menorca
C&C
We picked up our anchor about 08.30hrs on the 17th June to make passage towards Menorca. Whilst at its narrowest the two islands are only 20 miles apart the bay at Alcudia is very long so the distance to travel was around 33 miles. We had a light SW wind to start with but this built to around force 4 sometimes force 5 giving us a good sail with the wind on our quarter which Splice likes, so we went along nicely. The wind dropped later in the passage and we used the leeward engine to add some extra speed arriving at 14.30hrs at Ciududella a lovely natural harbour on the west end of Menorca. Our weather forecast had a ‘Tramontana’ (the strong northerly wind that blows here from the mainland at up to 40 knots out in the waters to the east) due overnight and on Saturday so we wanted to find good shelter from the predicted 25 knots or so. Not having time to explore the Calas we opted for Ciutadella hoping to get onto the somewhat cheaper Ports IB berths but they accommodate take us. We had to use the Club Nautico berths and it was a shock, we knew it would be expensive but – E180 per night! The berth was fine and within reasonable distance of the town, there was power and (not drinkable) water and the facilities were basic but OK but at E180 a night is a rip off in anybody’s terms. With strong winds coming we had to swallow hard and pay up. The irony is that the wind system moved further east and missed Menorca so we had very little wind after all. There is clearly such demand here in the summer that they can charge what they like and people still pay. We won’t return by sea unless there is no other option for good shelter.

Photo: Ciududella harbour
Comments
Vessel Name: Splice
Vessel Make/Model: Broadblue 435 Catamaran
Crew: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
About:
We have been married for over 25 years and have two grown up sons. Carolyn has dual English/French nationality and speaks French well. [...]
Extra: Contact us at splice435(the at sign)gmail.com

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie