Splice

Catamaran cruising

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
24 July 2022
12 October 2021 | Kilada
01 October 2021
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Vathi
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Kilada
20 September 2021 | Ermioni
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
15 August 2021 | Paroikia
15 August 2021 | Finikas
04 August 2021 | Dhokos and Kithnos
04 August 2021 | Tyros
25 July 2021 | Kilada

Ciududella – the town

22 June 2016 | Ciududella, Menorca
C&C
The harbour and town are lovely and worth a visit. Chris was just about able to stop grumping about rip-off marinas long enough to enjoy the walk around on the first night and the very good pizza place 'Roma' we found to eat in, tucked around one of the back streets. The following day we again strolled around and did a few bits of provisioning, we didn't find a large supermarket but there was a smaller store that provided the basics. We visited the town museum which houses a display showing the development of civilization in the islands, unlike many places here it did have an English leaflet to translate the captions and was worth a visit but not the most interesting place we have seen. The Cathedral was worth a visit with a very attractive interior roof structure with simple decoration and much less gold and flamboyance than we have seen elsewhere. The area around the harbour itself has many restaurants but managed to stay just on the pleasant side of touristy, looking particularly nice in the evening with the all the lights.
We have to change the coolant in both engine and had bought the new coolant in Alcudia so Chris decided to get on with it here. There are two sections to be drained, flushed and refilled and, starting on the starboard engine, the initial drain of the Heat Exchanger went OK until Chris tried to loosen the nut for the lower drain hole. It would not budge and despite penetrating oil and lots of effort continued to resist his will. It is also a totally square nut and with a normal socket set we were starting to burr the edges so time to stop and reconsider. In the end we had to refill the part drained coolant and will have to try to either get a better tool or some help in Mahon. There's always a problem to solve on a boat!

Photo: Ciududella at night
Comments
Vessel Name: Splice
Vessel Make/Model: Broadblue 435 Catamaran
Crew: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
About:
We have been married for over 25 years and have two grown up sons. Carolyn has dual English/French nationality and speaks French well. [...]
Extra: Contact us at splice435(the at sign)gmail.com

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie