Splice

Catamaran cruising

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
24 July 2022
12 October 2021 | Kilada
01 October 2021
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Vathi
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Kilada
20 September 2021 | Ermioni
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
15 August 2021 | Paroikia
15 August 2021 | Finikas
04 August 2021 | Dhokos and Kithnos
04 August 2021 | Tyros
25 July 2021 | Kilada

Cala Covas/Mahon

27 June 2016 | Mahon
C&C
We were up early at 07.00hrs to help Pascal leave the mooring; it’s much easier if there is someone on the helm and someone releasing the line ashore. By 10.00hrs we were ready ourselves and cast off the two lines to shore (Ankarolina tapes actually, we are very pleased with the reel system we invested in this year, less space used and easier than coiling warps) allowing the boat to drift forward as we pulled in the anchor chain. We had to be careful of the rocks just to starboard but the departure went to plan. We always talk through the plan before we moor or leave so we both are clear which line goes first, what the helm should do, what the hazards are etc. It still doesn’t always go as planned!
The light easterly wind was bang on the nose for the 15 miles to Mahon and it wasn’t even worth raising a sail on the trip. Mahon is a fantastic harbour, it’s about 4 miles from the entrance up to the farthest point and is well protected nearly as soon as you enter. We diverted into Cala Taulera which is close to the entrance to examine the main anchorage. It was virtually empty and there was a wide area with a depth around 3-4 meters with reasonable protection from the wind, it looked fine as a place to anchor after our three days in the marina.

Marina Menorca is at the very far end of the harbour in Mahon, it’s not a very attractive part of the place with commercial ships and a cement port within sight but the marina were friendly and efficient and it is only a 15 minute walk into town. We settled Splice down (fenders set, spring lines set, shore power cable on, sail covers on, instruments switched off in the right sequence and covers on, all the assorted gear that’s possibly steal-able stored inside - that’s winch handles, spare lines , emergency grab bag etc and padlocks on key lockers and the life-raft. This takes around 30 minutes each time we moor) and had lunch before setting off for the shops to restock.

It may have been mentioned before but Carolyn has a Lidl’s fetish. When we reach a new port, or probably before, she has researched where the nearest store is and planned the route for our bikes. (There are only 2 on Menorca by the way). The last time in Palma having reached the store Chris enquired only half jokingly ’have we reached Portugal yet?’ He was assured that this time it would be easy and a much shorter distance. It was…….straight up a mountain! Well, OK, a big hill, on a dual carriageway, with lots of traffic, in the heat of the afternoon. This has become known as the ‘Matterhorn experience’ and Chris is planning a campaign of advertising onboard Splice for nearer stores such as Eroski, Mercadona etc to convince Carolyn that they also sell food! We did get most of the stock we needed and at least it was downhill on the return.

That night the research had turned up an interesting tapas restaurant on the quayside so we had booked for 20.30hrs – this being the earliest any Spanish eating place is likely to have any life in it. It looked about a 20 minute walk so we set off in good time at 20.00hrs. Thirty minutes later it became clear that whilst we knew the name of the place we didn’t have the street number and we couldn’t find it even though we were sure we were on the right road. We went up and down the quay getting hungrier and thirstier until we gave up and for the first time since we left the UK we switched on ‘data roaming’ on the phone and checked the address, no.209. Then it was easy and it became clear why we’d had a problem. The main sign only said ‘Wine Bar’ and the name was only in small letters in the logo underneath. We were 30 minutes late but they had held our table and it turned into a very good meal. The menu was complicated with different sized portions of most things available but the waiter assisted and the food was lovely. Hummus with homemade corn chips, Carpaccio of tuna with Russian Salad and a surprising highlight was a cold red pepper reduction with Cod, roasted almonds, basil and dried fruit, delicious. We also had Salmon Tartare with avocado and then spicy lamb in Japanese style rice bread. The food was very original and nicely presented in a great atmosphere. Chris also decided it was time to sample some Spanish Brandy and a long conversation ensued with the owner over the merits of French Cognac v’s Spanish Brandy. The chosen brandy was very good, dark with a touch of treacle and oak hints. The measure was generous as well. We would recommend ‘Mestre d’Aixa at Moll de Llevant 209.

Photo: Splice moored in Cala Covas using our anchor at the bow and our two ‘Ankarolina’ tapes to secure the stern.
Comments
Vessel Name: Splice
Vessel Make/Model: Broadblue 435 Catamaran
Crew: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
About:
We have been married for over 25 years and have two grown up sons. Carolyn has dual English/French nationality and speaks French well. [...]
Extra: Contact us at splice435(the at sign)gmail.com

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie