Splice

Catamaran cruising

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
24 July 2022
12 October 2021 | Kilada
01 October 2021
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Vathi
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Kilada
20 September 2021 | Ermioni
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
15 August 2021 | Paroikia
15 August 2021 | Finikas
04 August 2021 | Dhokos and Kithnos
04 August 2021 | Tyros
25 July 2021 | Kilada

Ciutadella by bus – Fiesta de Sant Joan

27 June 2016 | Mahon/Cuitudella
C&C
Waking up on Friday morning and checking the results of the EU referendum was a huge shock – we couldn’t believe the outcome and how it will affect our economy and our children’s future.
Significant damage instant to the economy and now we will have to spend years negotiating the right to trade with the EU for which we will concede virtually the same financial contributions and open immigration boarders but no influence or vote in the community. Big win there!

When we were in Ciutadella the previous week it was clear that there was a festival there on the 23rd/24th June. Given the extortionate marina prices we decided that we would return by bus to see what was happening. The Mahon bus station is only 15 minutes walk and we soon caught a bus to Ciutadella arriving around midday. That was our mistake. As there is no published timetable of the events, despite our searches we had no idea when anything was going to happen. We had just missed the morning activity and there appeared to nothing until around 15.00hrs. We sat and watched the crowds and had a sandwich until the next parade. A long line of beautifully groomed mostly black horses with riders in dark suits and hats paraded to the beat of drum and pipe, in turn bringing their mounts up on their hind legs before the crowd, including the drunks who for some reason felt they had to be patting the horses whilst this occurred! As a 15 minute spectacle this was good but unfortunately, apart from 10 minutes of a band playing and escorting the riders to church, this was all we saw in 5 hours.
It seemed the next events were not until 20.00hrs so we went back to the bus and returned to Mahon. Even the bus journey was not that interesting, Menorca is somewhat flat compared to the other islands and there wasn’t much to see. Not one of our better excursions. Note to self: when attending festivals it’s better to go in the evenings, when it is cooler and there is more on.

Photo: One of the horsemen taking part in the ‘Sant Jean’ festivities
Comments
Vessel Name: Splice
Vessel Make/Model: Broadblue 435 Catamaran
Crew: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
About:
We have been married for over 25 years and have two grown up sons. Carolyn has dual English/French nationality and speaks French well. [...]
Extra: Contact us at splice435(the at sign)gmail.com

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie