Splice

Catamaran cruising

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
24 July 2022
12 October 2021 | Kilada
01 October 2021
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Vathi
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Kilada
20 September 2021 | Ermioni
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
15 August 2021 | Paroikia
15 August 2021 | Finikas
04 August 2021 | Dhokos and Kithnos
04 August 2021 | Tyros
25 July 2021 | Kilada

Mahon/ Cala Taulera

27 June 2016 | Cala Taulera/Mahon
The previous day the British Oyster ‘Jam’ that we had met in Cala Covas had come in to moor near us and we had again chatted to Mike and his niece Hannah. Chris was again trying to drain the coolant - from the port engine this time and failing to shift the key bolt again. Mike kindly lent him a torque wrench to assist but even this failed as the standard socket would not grip the square nut. Our internet searches showed others searching for the same answer but nobody offering one. Oh well, the port engine has had 70% of its coolant replaced as well. Bring on a Volvo engineer.
‘Jam’ were leaving for the UK the next morning with a professional crew to support them so they came on board around 17.30hrs to say goodbye. It was a few beers later, nearly 20.00 when they left! A quick pasta meal on board for us that night.

We left the marina about midday on Sunday and motored the few miles to Cala Taulera. We had hoped to start exploring the north coast of Menorca but there are strong winds from the north for the next few days so we need to shelter until this has passed. The Cala was crowded and we had to squeeze in with less chain out than we would have liked. We stayed on board as the wind increased though the afternoon and night reaching a steady 20 knots in the small hours but our Rocna kept us secure. The next morning the anchorage cleared somewhat and we were able to re-anchor in an improved position in relation to our neighbours, ready for the wind to come from the west later – well, that’s the forecast anyway. If it calms enough Chris will be wanting to take Fid to town to find a bar and watch England play football in the European Championship, Carolyn will show her patriotism (or lack of interest) by minding Splice.

Photo: Mahon harbor as we approached the marina


Comments
Vessel Name: Splice
Vessel Make/Model: Broadblue 435 Catamaran
Crew: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
About:
We have been married for over 25 years and have two grown up sons. Carolyn has dual English/French nationality and speaks French well. [...]
Extra: Contact us at splice435(the at sign)gmail.com

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie