Catamaran cruising

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
27 October 2020 | KIlada
11 October 2020 | Kiladha
11 October 2020 | Porto Heli
29 September 2020 | Astros
29 September 2020 | Cape Maleas
18 September 2020 | Gythion
12 September 2020 | Porto Kayio
12 September 2020 | Gythion
12 September 2020 | PLitra
05 September 2020 | Ormos Frangos
05 September 2020 | Gerakas
05 September 2020 | Kiprissi
05 September 2020 | Tyros
26 August 2020 | Astros
26 August 2020 | Kilada
23 October 2019 | Kilada
12 October 2019 | Kiladha
06 October 2019 | Astros
29 September 2019 | Kiladha
29 September 2019 | Porto Heli/Spetsai

Marina Teulada

15 July 2016 | Marina Teulada
Marina Teulada is about 33 miles from Carloforte and was our first stop on mainland Sardinia. It’s a little difficult to understand why the marina was built, it’s about 8 km from any town in a bay on the very southern tip of Sardinia. We chose it as a halfway stop on the way to Cagliari and despite it’s out of the way location it was quite busy. The passage was uneventful with little wind and the motors on all the way. Whilst the staff are friendly there is little to do here other than a beach which is a reasonable walk away or join the tourists bussed from the town to go out on the ‘PescaTouristca’ – local fishing boats converted to give a tourist experience.

It served our needs though, particularly the second day when winds of over 25 knots and occasionally 30 knots were our allocation. We are just waiting for a break in the winds to get to Cagliari. The one stop we would like to have made at Pula to visit the ancient semi-submerged city of Nora is probably not possible in the conditions predicted for the next week.
We bought an Italian ‘3’ SIM in Carloforte and you have to wait 24 hours for it to activate. We spent most of today fighting with it to get it to allow us access to the 8G of data we bought. ‘Your profile is invalid’ is the sum total of our efforts despite having used this process in Spain and researched the relevant inputs. Coupled with the continuing heat it was a frustrating morning and, as the marina internet provision is ‘variable’ to put it nicely, means this blog may well take a few days to get posted!!!

Continued the next day – the winds continue, today the anemometer is regularly above 30knots and the internet connection is still random. We had early morning entertainment as a charter cat tried to leave their berth (presumably they have to be back today for changeover tomorrow/Saturday or you wouldn’t leave). They caught their prop on one of the lazy-lines for the next-door boat and were pinned across the front of two boats for ages whilst the marina staff tried to free them. They got away in the end without any obvious damage but not a good start to their trip.

The forecast looks as if the wind will abate tonight leaving nothing tomorrow so we will probably have to motor to Cagliari, ironic after all this wind. We will spend the day doing bits of tidying and cleaning on board, deck work isn’t really possible, things just blow away! Looking at the 40plus knots coming down through the Sardinian Sea we are pleased we chose the weather window we did. We would have probably missed our flight if we had delayed as crossing would not be possible now.

Photo: The unfortunate charter cat pinned across the bows of its neighbors
Vessel Name: Splice
Vessel Make/Model: Broadblue 435 Catamaran
Crew: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
We have been married for over 25 years and have two grown up sons. Carolyn has dual English/French nationality and speaks French well. [...]
Extra: Contact us at splice435(the at sign)gmail.com
Splice's Photos - Main
44 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
No Photos
Created 15 May 2015
No Photos
Created 14 April 2015

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie