Splice

Catamaran cruising

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
24 July 2022
12 October 2021 | Kilada
01 October 2021
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Vathi
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Kilada
20 September 2021 | Ermioni
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
15 August 2021 | Paroikia
15 August 2021 | Finikas
04 August 2021 | Dhokos and Kithnos
04 August 2021 | Tyros
25 July 2021 | Kilada

Isola de Porri

16 September 2016 | Isola di Porri
C&C
After a few days in Olbia the noise of the scooters, the constant flow of people on the quay and the dust and dirt blown off the quay became a bit wearing so we dropped the lines and headed the short distance to the anchorage behind Isola dei Porri. We knew there was a strong-ish north wind due over night but with the hook of land and the island protecting all but south east/south we thought we would be fine. The anchorage is nice and there were a few other boats during the day but most left so there were only two of us overnight. We spent the day washing Splice off with saltwater and then fresh water to clear all the muck she had accumulated and then we did the washing by running the generator to power the washing machine and the water-maker. The brisk wind dried it well so a good days activities.

Unfortunately the night was not as good. Whilst we were fine with the north wind (even though it was gusting to 30 knots not the forecast 25) the swell was working its way around and coming into the bay from the east/southeast and as our bows were to the north wind we were rolling from side to side all night. Added to that the thunder started up and we had another good storm which deposited a nice covering of brown dust on the decks we had cleaned the day before. Chris was grumpy in the morning, a disturbed nights sleep and all the cleaning undone.

It got worse as the wind stayed in the mid 20 knot range and when we returned to Olbia that afternoon the decks were soon covered with leaves, bits of paper and other rubbish blown from the dock. We had met up with John and Julia who run a sail training school from their boat when last in port and went for a drink with them in the Circolo Nautico Yacht Club bar next to the quay and had a chat over a couple of beers. They know the area and gave us a few suggestions for places to visit.

Isola dei Porri is a good anchorage but don’t think the swell can’t get you!

Photo: The ex-scout sail training ship ‘Sir Robert Baden Powell’, now run by a Dutch charity, berthed on Olbia quay near us
Comments
Vessel Name: Splice
Vessel Make/Model: Broadblue 435 Catamaran
Crew: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
About:
We have been married for over 25 years and have two grown up sons. Carolyn has dual English/French nationality and speaks French well. [...]
Extra: Contact us at splice435(the at sign)gmail.com

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie