Splice

Catamaran cruising

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
24 July 2022
12 October 2021 | Kilada
01 October 2021
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Vathi
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Kilada
20 September 2021 | Ermioni
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
15 August 2021 | Paroikia
15 August 2021 | Finikas
04 August 2021 | Dhokos and Kithnos
04 August 2021 | Tyros
25 July 2021 | Kilada

Porto Vecchio

24 September 2016 | Porto Veccio
C&C
We had a good sail up the east coast of Corsica to Porto Vecchio a distance of around 28 miles. The westerly wind at between 10 and 15 knots was great for Splice and she romped along covering the distance in about four and a half hours. Porto Vecchio is at the end of a long gulf and the wind was blowing strongly up the gulf as we motored the last mile in to the marina, we tied up stern to with no problem but Chris was unimpressed when they charged us E73 for a night at this time of the season. As this was France our Italian SIM cards wouldn’t work so we set off on the 20 minute walk to the Hypermarket – it was more like 30 minutes and the Chandlery we passed on the way still didn’t have the impellor we needed. There was an SFR shop in the place as promised and we were able to buy a SIM but at E35 for only 4 G when our last purchase in Sardinia was E10 for 8G. Mobile ‘coms’ in France are clearly more profitable for the companies!
We walked up the steep hill into the old town that evening and wandered around for a while before finding a table. The place was very busy and in the end we just settled for somewhere that was well populated and the menu had some Corsican dishes. The starter of ‘Goats-cheese salad’ was very nice and we both ordered the roast pork Corican style. This turned out to be thick cuts of pork with dark gravy and potatoes. It was OK but the cooking didn’t seem to be even and after a while we both gave up and left some. Not the best meal recently but you have to try the local stuff. On the way back down the hill Carolyn got talking to another British couple (she picks up strangers all over the place) and Sarah and Rich came on board for a nightcap. With Sarah’s history in dinghy racing and Rich’s engineering skills they might well be future cruisers, we hope we gave them a flavour of the lifestyle.
Chris was even less impressed with the marina the next day when the toilets turned out to be dirty, have broken doors with no locks and no loo-paper. He complained to the reception whose answer was to produce some paper towels!! We won’t be going back there and have since heard others have had similar experiences. Anchor off in the bay and take the dinghy ashore if you need supplies but there are much nicer places to visit.

Photo: The harbor at Porto Veccio with the old town on the hilltop
Comments
Vessel Name: Splice
Vessel Make/Model: Broadblue 435 Catamaran
Crew: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
About:
We have been married for over 25 years and have two grown up sons. Carolyn has dual English/French nationality and speaks French well. [...]
Extra: Contact us at splice435(the at sign)gmail.com

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie