Splice

Catamaran cruising

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
24 July 2022
12 October 2021 | Kilada
01 October 2021
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Vathi
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Kilada
20 September 2021 | Ermioni
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
15 August 2021 | Paroikia
15 August 2021 | Finikas
04 August 2021 | Dhokos and Kithnos
04 August 2021 | Tyros
25 July 2021 | Kilada

San Vito lo Capo

17 May 2017 | San Vito lo Cabo, Sicily
C&C
San Vito lo Capo is a small town on a headland about 20 miles north of Trapani and had been recommended as a stop-over by friends and people on the CA website. We left Trapani around 10.00 and tried to make progress under sail for a while before giving up in 5-7 knots from circa 50 degrees off the port bow. Splice doesn’t sail to windward that well and doesn’t deign to move in less than 10 knots! The rest of the trip was motor-sailing, well, motoring with the sail up really as the wind was mostly absent.
There are three pontoons in the harbour at San Vito, each independent and there doesn’t seem to be much to distinguish them beforehand. We went with the only guy who was around and waved at us and ended up in Gaia Costa to port as you enter, E70 per night with no facilities but reasonable wifi. The pontoons are rather run down, depths are quite shallow, but it’s a shorter walk to town. When we walked around, one other ‘marina’ opposite looked better maintained and for deeper draft we suggest the pontoons to starboard on entry may be better. Don’t know the price though.


The harbour at San Vito lo Capo, Splice in centre of picture

We walked into town that evening and had a drink at a café and watched the beginnings of the holiday season crowd wander by. We eventually ate at a nice restaurant back nearer the harbour - ‘Trattoria A Lampara’- after walking round the town. We initially ordered a very tasty homemade pasta dish with sardines, fennel, pine-nuts, raisins then toasted with breadcrumbs over it. It was the best pasta we have had in a long time but the portions we quite small. Talking to the owner we then decided to try a shared portion of grilled swordfish which was also good but, even when fresh and nicely cooked, we feel is a much drier ‘eat’ than say tuna. A very pleasant meal, we’d recommend the place for mid-price food.

Today we are catching up on washing and blog writing before heading further along the coast tomorrow

Main Photo: Splice moored at Gaia Cabo 'marina'



Comments
Vessel Name: Splice
Vessel Make/Model: Broadblue 435 Catamaran
Crew: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
About:
We have been married for over 25 years and have two grown up sons. Carolyn has dual English/French nationality and speaks French well. [...]
Extra: Contact us at splice435(the at sign)gmail.com

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie