Splice

Catamaran cruising

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
24 July 2022
12 October 2021 | Kilada
01 October 2021
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Vathi
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Kilada
20 September 2021 | Ermioni
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
15 August 2021 | Paroikia
15 August 2021 | Finikas
04 August 2021 | Dhokos and Kithnos
04 August 2021 | Tyros
25 July 2021 | Kilada

Valletta again .... and ’Distant Shores’

19 June 2017 | Valletta, Malta
C&C
We sailed slowly back along the north coast on Malta for a couple of hours and then added the engines to push us the last few miles at rather more than the 3 knots the sails were giving us. Our entry into Marsamxett Bay involved dodging a fleet of dinghies out for a training sail but was generally uneventful. We were allocated a pontoon on the other side of the creek this time, it was lucky the wind was light as the space to turn into the berth was rather tight.

As we moored Chris noticed the boat opposite us had an unusual name – ‘Two-Step’. For those of us who dreamed of going sailing instead of having to work for a living, the blogs and videos of a Canadian couple, Paul & Sheryl Shand, as they travelled the world on the boat they built themselves, were regular entertainment. Having looked up the blog and compared the pictures there was no doubt we were looking at the original vessel. She’s in good condition and is clearly looked after though another local told us she isn’t sailed very often these days. Chris did email the Shands and gave them an update on their old boat, he got a nice reply, they are still in touch with the new owners occasionally but appreciated the update.

Saturday morning was washing and shopping before we headed off on the local buses to visit the old town of Mdina. This involved a change of bus at Valletta but was straightforward, we learnt too late that the ticket we bought on the first bus would have covered the continued journey on the second (we think it’s any journey within 2 hours of the starting point) but we got it right on the return.



The entrance to the walled town of Mdina

Mdina is a very picturesque old walled town, its small with narrow streets and very tall walls and buildings, mainly built of limestone. It was another of those places where the real world seemed to have moved out leaving a ‘tourist shell’ but was pleasant none the less.



A street in Mdina. They say the streets were built only as long as one arrow shot for defensive purposes

We wandered about, took pictures and found ourselves in a store selling ‘Mdina Glass’. Often when we buy things it’s because we have both focused on a specific item. We had both noticed a blue glass jug and after some debate about if it was sensible on a boat/or could we get it back to England etc (both answers probably ‘No’) we went ahead and bought it anyway. We liked it and Carolyn’s Mum had sent her some money for her birthday so that became her present. We now have to work out how to store or repatriate it!



Carolyn's birthday jug

We had booked a taxi though the marina office for Mitch as he had to leave for the airport at 05.00hrs on Sunday morning. At the due time Mitch and Chris were standing there but there was no sign of a taxi. We had been wise enough to take the telephone number. ‘Oh we have this down for tomorrow morning’ was the response. They did manage to get a car to us within 10 minutes but the guy parked opposite us and when we walked towards him he drove off and parked where we had been. When we walked back he drove off with us running down the road shouting after him. The guy must have had blinkers on as there are not many people with suitcases around at 5 in the morning. Eventually we attracted his attention and Mitch made his flight and got home safely. It was great having him on board and spending time together.

Sunday was Fathers Day in the UK and the two sons had provided the requisite card and greetings suggesting relaxation was due. It didn’t work out that way. Chris spent the first few hours checking and topping up oils and coolant before running up the engines, we have a suspicious noise in the starboard engine but his efforts made no difference. Out came the wetsuit/snorkel etc and 15 minutes of diving in the murky harbour water to inspect the prop and sail-drive produced no further insight but a need to wash his mouth out. We concluded we need help on this one. It was then on to the two malfunctioning heads, we’ll spare you the details, but the rest of the day was spend stripping back the blocked main head (toilet) – only slightly fewer swear words than when we did this three years ago. Having sorted that out we moved on to servicing the port heads which was behaving badly - a new set of seals solved that one. It was around 19.30hr before we had cleared up and ‘Father’ finally got to relax with a beer – as we keep telling people this is a ‘lifestyle’ not a holiday!!!

We managed to find a Volvo Engineer who visited us today but of course the engine ran sweetly and there were no vibrations we could detect. No doubt they will appear again but for now we will assume we ahve a starboard engine!

We have been checking the weather as we intend to head back to Sicily in the next few days – current forecasts suggest Wednesday as the most suitable passage conditions.


Comments
Vessel Name: Splice
Vessel Make/Model: Broadblue 435 Catamaran
Crew: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
About:
We have been married for over 25 years and have two grown up sons. Carolyn has dual English/French nationality and speaks French well. [...]
Extra: Contact us at splice435(the at sign)gmail.com

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie