Splice

Catamaran cruising

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
24 July 2022
12 October 2021 | Kilada
01 October 2021
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Vathi
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Kilada
20 September 2021 | Ermioni
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
15 August 2021 | Paroikia
15 August 2021 | Finikas
04 August 2021 | Dhokos and Kithnos
04 August 2021 | Tyros
25 July 2021 | Kilada

Crotone

09 July 2017 | Crotone
C&C
The winds got up as expected and we had a consistent 20 knots plus for the next two days and nights. The highest we registered was a 32 knot gust. Our position on the northern quay worked well for us, particularly when there was another boat to our starboard side as that shielded us from the wind that curved around the harbour wall and came at us from the side. When we climbed the steps on the harbour wall to look north the seascape was a mass of white crested rollers, we had no inclination to leave!



Waves never look that big in photos but you wouldn't want to be out in this. One of four oil platforms in the bay also in shot

We walked along the seafront and generally explored the town when the winds were weaker. There was nothing special to see, the old town was very scruffy and had a lot of graffiti, it could be attractive but no-one has bothered to expend any effort on it. The seafront cafes and restaurants didn’t look that great either so we didn’t eat out whilst we were there.

There is a castle above the town but it too has seen only minor investment and it serves as a viewpoint more than any real historical interest. There is an arched arcade that on Sunday was home to stalls selling antiques/junk and during the week housed normal market stalls with veg and fruit etc.



The entrance to the castle from inside showing the surrounding buildings. We liked the inventive turret on this place

After our initial walk around we spent most of the time on board minding the boat in the gusty winds.

There were two other boats with CA burgees flying so we invited Ray & Joyce from ‘Jade’ for a drink one night and Geoff from ‘Nephtys’ came on board for tea with the crew of Mackay, Elizabeth and Alan who Carolyn met in a shop.

Crotone was fine as a passage stop and shelter from strong northerly winds but, whilst we enjoyed the views from our berth looking at the harbour entrance, it’s not a place that would pull us back.

Main Photo: Splice moored at the northern end of the harbour
Comments
Vessel Name: Splice
Vessel Make/Model: Broadblue 435 Catamaran
Crew: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
About:
We have been married for over 25 years and have two grown up sons. Carolyn has dual English/French nationality and speaks French well. [...]
Extra: Contact us at splice435(the at sign)gmail.com

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie