We motored all the way to Bari, as there was virtually no wind. We moored to the totally empty quay to starboard as you enter the harbour, the data we have read said this was fine and also free so we stopped for the night. There were a number of people promenading but the quay was a real mess of empty bottles and rubbish so it was not the nicest place compared with the quays we have seen in many towns. We did get four local youths demanding a tour of the boat (you can guess the answer) but after asking for and being given a drink of water they got bored and left. Other than that it was quiet night. We didn’t leave Splice, it wasn’t the place to take chances.
We left at 06.00hrs the next morning with wind at 10 knots on the nose. We had conflicting weather forecasts so decided to try as there were plenty of boltholes if needed. After two hours we had 15 knots on the nose and building waves so we decided to divert to Trani and shorten the trip. We turned west, then within an hour as we were approaching the new target the wind dropped to 5 knots and the seas calmed. It was still only 11.00hrs so decided to turn again for Vieste. This time our luck held until the last hour or so of the trip when the winds got compressed around the cape on which Vieste stands. We had expected this and put up with a bouncy ride into the port. Six hours of motoring into wind on the nose at various strengths is not the best part of this lifestyle!!
Vieste harbour from the town above, Splice is berthed at on the ‘hammerhead’ of the right-hand pontoon
Vieste looks very nice. The first pontoon to port as you enter is run by a very helpful Canadian lady, Catherina, and we established a sensible price after the normal negotiation. We had a walk around that night and ate in a Trattoria where the food was average but the service was good. It’s an attractive town and we will stay a day or two waiting for the right weather to cross the Adriatic to enter Croatia on the island of Lastovo.
Main Photo: The old town of Vieste overlooks the bay 5496