Splice

Catamaran cruising

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
24 July 2022
12 October 2021 | Kilada
01 October 2021
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Vathi
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Kilada
20 September 2021 | Ermioni
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
15 August 2021 | Paroikia
15 August 2021 | Finikas
04 August 2021 | Dhokos and Kithnos
04 August 2021 | Tyros
25 July 2021 | Kilada

Risan and Spinnaker Practise!

15 August 2017 | Risan
C&C
The next day we managed a few bits of sailing to give Steve and Tina an introduction to the white flappy things as we made our way through the narrower channel to the more northerly part of the Gulf. The marina had warned us that they rigorously enforced the 6 knot speed limit here and we did see someone stopped – lots of other high speed craft weren’t though.

Risan is a small town but has a reasonable anchorage – a scarce resource in the Gulf where depths are significant right up to the shore. We dropped anchor in about 13m with the wind gusting up past 15 knots. Chris stayed aboard Splice to monitor things whilst the others ventured ashore, inspecting the mosaics at the Roman Villa and doing some shopping. A restaurant was also visited and pronounced suitable for the evening meal that night.

Cattiva arrived, anchored nearby and issued an invitation to drinks aboard before our shore excursion. By evening the wind had dropped and we had a pleasant hour or so on their bow chatting and sampling the local wine which we found to be very good. With Chris asking questions about how they flew their spinnaker Grant then offered to bring their smaller kite aboard Splice the next day and give it a go. The offer was quickly accepted by the Skipper with the First Mate looking a little doubtful.

The meal that night in the place right on the quay at Risan was pleasant with very cheerful service and locally caught fish being a highlight.

The next day there was no wind so both crews sat around in shade drinking coffee and water in conditions that would soften metal – it was extremely hot (40 degrees plus) and the air was completely still. At last, around 10.30 the breeze started. Splice moored briefly alongside Cattiva and the sail was handed over with Grant and Lesley joining us onboard. As we motored up the waterway the wind was 6-7 knots, ideal for the trial. Steve was gaining confidence at the helm so he took the wheel as Grant worked with Chris on the foredeck and Lesley supported Carolyn on the sheets with Tina as official photographer.



The spinnaker flies on Splice - Photo credit:Tina

We had a good initial run down the gulf with the sail going up and down a couple of times using the ‘sock’ to douse the sail before dropping it (the ‘sock’ is a ring with a long bag attached to it which is pulled up to the top to free the sail and then down over the sail to compress it when you need to drop the spinnaker). By the time we had returned to the head off the Gulf to try again the wind had increased to 15 knots gusting 18. Not ideal for trying out new sails but with a big crew and Grants confidence we again hoisted and dropped a couple of time in the strong winds as we surged down the gulf at 7-8 knots. It was great fun but hard work dealing with the large sail in those winds. Even the First Mate agreed that, having tried one, we should now get one for Splice........ mind you, we will only fly it in lighter winds!!



The Anglo/Australian spinnaker flying team – Carolyn, Lesley, Grant, Chris and Steve - Photo credit: Tina

Many thanks to Grant and Lesley from ‘Cattiva’ for their willingness to demonstrate their kit and let us get a real feel for the process.

Main Photo: Cattiva anchored off the quay at Risan

Comments
Vessel Name: Splice
Vessel Make/Model: Broadblue 435 Catamaran
Crew: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
About:
We have been married for over 25 years and have two grown up sons. Carolyn has dual English/French nationality and speaks French well. [...]
Extra: Contact us at splice435(the at sign)gmail.com

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie