Splice

Catamaran cruising

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
24 July 2022
12 October 2021 | Kilada
01 October 2021
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Vathi
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Kilada
20 September 2021 | Ermioni
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
15 August 2021 | Paroikia
15 August 2021 | Finikas
04 August 2021 | Dhokos and Kithnos
04 August 2021 | Tyros
25 July 2021 | Kilada

Old Epidhavros

27 May 2019 | Epidhavros
C&C
We looked into the newer village of Epidhavros as we motored down the coast in light winds, but it was very small and too tight for us. We chose to anchor outside the older town a further 5 miles down the coast as we needed to try the outboard.

The outboard saga had continued with it refusing to play nice despite now three carburetor cleans. Back in Galaxidi Chris had just finished placing an order for a new carburetor in the UK for Mitch to bring out with him. He then decided that as he had a spare spark plug he may as well try that. None of the four engineers/technicians we consulted had considered this to be the likely problem, but it was worth a try.........the engine then started first time on its bracket on the stern of Splice and sounded more normal!

Moored stern to a quay we cannot get the dinghy off the back so this was our first chance to try the outboard under load. It was fine, behaved normally and didn't cut out once. All the effort around the carburetor and it was the plug.......engineers! BAH! At least we seem to have a functioning 'car' again.

Having chatted to another CA boat called 'Nimrod', they told us that there was a local bus to the ancient theatre 13 kilometers outside the town. At 08.30 the next morning we were the only passengers in somewhat overcast conditions but at E2 each instead of E40+ for a taxi it was a good move.


The theatre is impressive. Once the centre of a major sect around 340 BC the theatre can hold around 12,000 people and is in very good condition. It's a bit strange to have this huge structure out in the middle of nowhere but it was Greece's primary settlement focused on healing the sick in those days. Even so, we were puzzled why there would be such a large theatre needed.
Comments
Vessel Name: Splice
Vessel Make/Model: Broadblue 435 Catamaran
Crew: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
About:
We have been married for over 25 years and have two grown up sons. Carolyn has dual English/French nationality and speaks French well. [...]
Extra: Contact us at splice435(the at sign)gmail.com

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie