Splice

Catamaran cruising

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
24 July 2022
12 October 2021 | Kilada
01 October 2021
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Vathi
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Kilada
20 September 2021 | Ermioni
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
15 August 2021 | Paroikia
15 August 2021 | Finikas
04 August 2021 | Dhokos and Kithnos
04 August 2021 | Tyros
25 July 2021 | Kilada

Knots or Beaufort, Skipper?

04 June 2019 | Ay Marina
C&C
We learnt one of the perils of using multiple weather apps as we headed east towards the Athen peninsula. We could see from our overview weather forecasts (LAMA, Passage Weather) that the whole area was developing a moderate NW wind overnight so we looked for protection from that. Bays on the south and east coast of the island of Aigina would provide this, so we looked at these in detail and selected Ormos Klima on the south and Ay Marina on the east coast (which despite its name is just a bay).

Other apps eg Windy, allow you to focus in on a location and the Skipper was pleased to see that the easterly wind forecast during the day was only a steady 4 knots, not enough to kick up a swell in these harbours even though they were not protected from this direction.

We set off with this plan in mind only to find ourselves motoring directly into an increasing easterly wind of up to 15 knots. We reached Ormos Klima and stopped for lunch, but the swell from the east was finding its way around the headland. Never mind, it must drop off to c 4 knots soon. It didn't, and we had a very bumpy ride around the southern headland and up the easy coast. Our weather station didn't survive the trip. It jumped off its perch and crashed into the port hull floor - big crack across the screen and no data!

On arrival at Ay Marina we realised that there was actually very little protection and a good swell was being driven into the bay. We squeezed into the southern corner which was sheltered from the direct wind by a slight hook in the headland, but were still in the line of fire as the easterly continued to send 10-15 knots at us and the waves bent around the headland during the afternoon and early evening. It was not dangerous but fairly uncomfortable.

When we checked the weather again we realised what had happened. Chris has his apps set to display knots of wind but the app is capable of displaying different speed scales. Somehow he had managed to touch the controls and reset the wind-speed to 'Beaufort Force'. His steady 4 knots was actually Beaufort Force 4 which is a lot mote than 4 knots! (11-16 knots). Until you looked closely its not very obvious that the small grey letters say 'bf' and not 'kt'.

Luckily no other damage was done and the wind duly changed to NW as forecast and we had a comfortable night. Needless to say we didn't get off the boat whilst we were in this bay!
Comments
Vessel Name: Splice
Vessel Make/Model: Broadblue 435 Catamaran
Crew: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
About:
We have been married for over 25 years and have two grown up sons. Carolyn has dual English/French nationality and speaks French well. [...]
Extra: Contact us at splice435(the at sign)gmail.com

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie