Splice

Catamaran cruising

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
24 July 2022
12 October 2021 | Kilada
01 October 2021
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Vathi
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Kilada
20 September 2021 | Ermioni
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
15 August 2021 | Paroikia
15 August 2021 | Finikas
04 August 2021 | Dhokos and Kithnos
04 August 2021 | Tyros
25 July 2021 | Kilada

Voukaris Bay, Kea

04 June 2019 | Voukaris
C&C
The island of Kea is about 20 miles slightly south of Cape Sounion with Voukaris being the most obvious anchorage on the NE coast. It's quite a deep bay and we anchored in 10m clear of the local moorings and with a couple of other boats.

By the time we went ashore to explore and eat around 20.00 there were 10 other boats anchored, which gave everyone reasonable space. The quay was jam-packed with small motor-boats which had clearly come from the mainland for a Friday night party. We had a reasonable meal and enoyed the evening.

The next day was completely different. The same hoard of small craft started arriving during the afternoon, but then then the charter boats started arriving, and they didn't stop. Even after nightfall (when they are not insured) boats were charging into the anchorage. We ended with around 30 boats crammed into a a deep bay with a high risk of anchors dragging. If that wasn't enough, a huge motor yacht around 180 ft decided he wanted to be on the quay amongst all the small boats. He dropped his anchors right off our stern, dragged the chains under our boat and hung off the quay until he intimidated some boats to go. We've never seen arrogance and stupidity like it. One day he will crush someone's boat or cause real injury. To make it worse he was flying a red ensign! He did get clear expression of our view and of his behavior as his topside passed us a few metres away!

Motor Yacht 'Bilmar' forces himself onto the quay

Luckily it was a very still night. We realised, when we considered it, that if you pick up your charter boat in Lavrion or Athens there is only really one island you can reach on the first day - Kea, and only one anchorage area......where we were. We made a mental note not to be there again on a Saturday or a Thursday night (when they will be returning to base).
Comments
Vessel Name: Splice
Vessel Make/Model: Broadblue 435 Catamaran
Crew: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
About:
We have been married for over 25 years and have two grown up sons. Carolyn has dual English/French nationality and speaks French well. [...]
Extra: Contact us at splice435(the at sign)gmail.com

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie