Splice

Catamaran cruising

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
24 July 2022
12 October 2021 | Kilada
01 October 2021
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Vathi
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Kilada
20 September 2021 | Ermioni
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
15 August 2021 | Paroikia
15 August 2021 | Finikas
04 August 2021 | Dhokos and Kithnos
04 August 2021 | Tyros
25 July 2021 | Kilada

Korfus and Profitis Illias Bay

21 July 2019 | Aigina
C&C
We only spent a night anchored in Korfus. We had visited earlier in the season and came here mostly to catch up on sleep after the previous night. The time was uneventful except for another demonstration of the poor behaviour of some charter boat skippers.

We were anchored off the two main tavernas, both of which have a quay for client boats. At around 17.30 a large cat 'Twin Pride' came charging into the bay. The professional (in the loosest terms) skipper immediately backed on the quay of one taverna despite lots of waving arms telling him to go away. We could interpret this from our distance but he didn't seem to get the message and moored his boat back. This brought on more shouting and arm waving but he insisted on staying.
Thirty minutes later the reason for his rejection became clear, into the bay came not one, but two flotillas of around twenty boats in all, one of whom must have reserved the quay. Cue more shouting and arms in the air.

We then saw the charter skipper rush down his gangplank and strongly push one of the staff. That was a mistake, within seconds he had three local large taverna guys facing him and very clear indication of where he should go! He left the quay and headed out of the bay at high speed. Good riddance, but we do feel sorry for the poor clients caught up in such incidents, must dent the relaxation! They eventually managed to get all the flotilla yachts secured or anchored but the last crew didn't leave the boat for their dinner until around 21.00.

After a good nights sleep we headed back towards the other island in the centre of the gulf - Aigina. There was a night of southerly and easterly winds forecast and we had identified a bay tucked in a corner of the western shore that would shelter us from both directions. Profitis Illias bay has another small beach club and the anchorage area is small but, with our shallow draught, we managed to squeeze into the front of the small group of yachts already there. It was a comfortable night in an attractive bay but we didn't venture ashore.

Main photo: sunset at Profitis Illias bay
Comments
Vessel Name: Splice
Vessel Make/Model: Broadblue 435 Catamaran
Crew: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
About:
We have been married for over 25 years and have two grown up sons. Carolyn has dual English/French nationality and speaks French well. [...]
Extra: Contact us at splice435(the at sign)gmail.com

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie