Splice

Catamaran cruising

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
24 July 2022
12 October 2021 | Kilada
01 October 2021
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Vathi
20 September 2021 | Poros
20 September 2021 | Kilada
20 September 2021 | Ermioni
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
29 August 2021
15 August 2021 | Paroikia
15 August 2021 | Finikas
04 August 2021 | Dhokos and Kithnos
04 August 2021 | Tyros
25 July 2021 | Kilada

Plitra

12 September 2020 | PLitra
C&C
We had planned to head north up the coast of the island of Elafonisos to the local town to top up on stores, but the winds from the cape were stronger here so we opted to head round the western coast and up to Plitra, a small village in a bay that has shelter from the north but is open to the afternoon southerlies.

We had a good sail with 15 knots on the port quarter which Splice enjoys, Carolyn enjoyed helming at 6-7 knots as we closed towards the bay.

There were two French yachts there as well but plenty of space to sit out the rest of the afternoon wind. We stayed on board the first evening as we usually do in exposed places.

The bay is reasonably attractive with a beach club set up on the shore to the west of the village and the harbour walls crowded with local fishing boats. We ventured ashore the following morning and walked around the the sunken ruins of the old town that had been destroyed by an earthquake in 375 AD. There's not actually much to see, there are some significant sized cleanly cut stone blocks and a couple of outlines of the buildings, the walk was hot though.

The village was dusty and rather closed down but we got some stores from the one and only shop. We had planned to eat ashore but the tavernas looked uninviting so, rather than sit out another afternoon southerly we decided to move on after filling up with water.

Filling up with water

We pulled up the anchor and motored across to the quay, there was just enough room to squeeze Splice on the end with her stern sticking out, luckily we only needed to stay 30 minutes to top up the water tanks and the wind was still calm.
Comments
Vessel Name: Splice
Vessel Make/Model: Broadblue 435 Catamaran
Crew: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
About:
We have been married for over 25 years and have two grown up sons. Carolyn has dual English/French nationality and speaks French well. [...]
Extra: Contact us at splice435(the at sign)gmail.com

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie