Catamaran cruising

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
27 October 2020 | KIlada
11 October 2020 | Kiladha
11 October 2020 | Porto Heli
29 September 2020 | Astros
29 September 2020 | Cape Maleas
18 September 2020 | Gythion
12 September 2020 | Porto Kayio
12 September 2020 | Gythion
12 September 2020 | PLitra
05 September 2020 | Ormos Frangos
05 September 2020 | Gerakas
05 September 2020 | Kiprissi
05 September 2020 | Tyros
26 August 2020 | Astros
26 August 2020 | Kilada
23 October 2019 | Kilada
12 October 2019 | Kiladha
06 October 2019 | Astros
29 September 2019 | Kiladha
29 September 2019 | Porto Heli/Spetsai


11 October 2020 | Kiladha
The bay at Kilada was also quiet when we arrived and we set to with the next round of works to prepare for the lift.

It took a day to service the two engines and change the oil. The next day we than got the two foresails off in the morning, dropping them is not a big issue if the wind is light and nothing sticks but folding big triangular sails on a 0.5m wide side deck is a different story. We got the job done in the end, we've developed a technique of draping the sail from port to starboard over the coachroof (or boom in the case of the main) and gradually pulling it across into folds on the starboard side deck. Having had new bags for the sails made last winter we were pleased we got them tightly rolled enough to go in the bags! Getting the mainsail off took all the next morning (it's our biggest and heaviest sail) but our technique must be working, that went in the bag as well.

We are still waiting for the watermaker parts to be delivered to the yard nearby. Without them we can't try and fix the machine so, as we've only four days until we lift it looks as if that job will have to wait until next season. There are plenty of smaller tasks to do but we are happy we will be ready for the lift on Thursday 15th October with a flight home the following Monday.

We have Monday morning to do some food shopping and then we will have to hunker down as very strong winds (probably 30 knots and some forecasts say more) come across us during Monday evening through Tuesday. As we know this will be from the south and west we have moved within the bay to make the fetch as short as possible and gain a bit of shelter from the follow on NW winds which will kick up a swell as they come through the entrance to the bay. We may be able to do a few jobs inside but its good to have all the sails off and inside as thunder and rain will be joining in the fun (putting sails away wet for the winter is sure to generate mold and rot).

Main photo: the mainsail come off in KIlada Bay

Vessel Name: Splice
Vessel Make/Model: Broadblue 435 Catamaran
Crew: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie
We have been married for over 25 years and have two grown up sons. Carolyn has dual English/French nationality and speaks French well. [...]
Extra: Contact us at splice435(the at sign)gmail.com
Splice's Photos - Main
44 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
No Photos
Created 15 May 2015
No Photos
Created 14 April 2015

Who: Carolyn & Chris Gebbie