Chasing the Dream with Split Enz

30 August 2016
12 August 2016 | Currently sailing between mainland and Evia
30 July 2016 | Patitiri, Alonnisos Island Northern Greece
05 July 2016 | Olyimpic Marina, Lavrion Greece
13 October 2015 | Messilonghi, Greece
01 October 2015 | Vathi on Ithica
14 September 2015 | Vlikho, Lefkas Island
02 September 2015 | Paxoi, Aegean, Greece
26 August 2015 | Corfu town
26 August 2015 | Messolonghi
12 August 2015 | Astakos
06 July 2015 | Hermione
29 June 2015 | Mykonos Cyclades Geek Islands
21 June 2015 | Amorgos, Cyclades, Greece
15 June 2015 | Astypalia, Dodecanese Islands Greece
10 June 2015 | Pali on the Island of Nisiros
30 May 2015 | Panormitis on the island of Simi
22 May 2015 | Spinalonga Lagoon, Crete
17 May 2015 | Santorini

Anna & Paul Aboard for Northern Greek mainland & Sporades

12 August 2016 | Currently sailing between mainland and Evia
Angie/ sunny 31°
25th July
Today we moved onto the Marina Pier to pick up Anna and Paul. The marina was in a very run down condition and full of very bold stray cats. The males would come on board and spray and we were constantly shooing them away. Paul resorted to throwing his shoe at one and he turned around and sprayed it😬. We shopped for supply's and bought diesel. Ready to leave the next morning. When we woke all our mosquito nets were on the floor, the cats pushed at them and we found more spraying so we're pretty pleased to get out of there. We set course for Nea Moudania and squeezed side on to the pier. After dinner went ashore for ice cream. Next day we had a quick walk around town then set sail for the three peninsulas at top of Northern Greece. They look like the prongs of a fork and are called Kassandra, sinthonia and Akti. We anchored for the night in Porto Korfos on the west side of the centre finger. We saw a Kiwi boat Shallimar and swam across to say hello went aboard for a drink and caught up with there travels since we had last seen them at the Olympic Marina in Lavrion. Cooks night off and dinner at a lovely Taverna on the water front.

29th July
Today we set sail for Nikitas further down the coast anchoring just outside the Marina as this was full (forgot it was Friday, charter boat day). On the way we stopped at Neos Marmaras for lunch and a deep water swim. Steve took Anna ashore for an explore and charged the laptop at a cafe while he waited. Next morning Steve and I went ashore for an explore and a Frappe (Greek iced coffee).
Later that morning we sailed around to Skala Sikias which is on the tip of the eastern Side of the middle finger. It was a tiny bay that offered us good protection. There was just holiday accommodation and tavernas managed to buy a bag of ice from one of the Tavernas for €4 the most expensive yet. Next morning we headed further down the Gulf of Singitiki and anchored in a beautiful bay called Ormos Kriftos on the island of Dhiaporos very peaceful and quiet. Next morning we motored across to Panayia for some supplies and then back to a bay on the other side of Dhiaporos called Koumaroudhes.

2nd August
Today we crossed the Gulf and motored down the western side of the Akti Peninsula. "This rugged peninsula has for over 10 centuries existed as a world unto itself. Divorced from the modern world, the holy community has no roads or electricity and few telephones. Time is still reckoned by the Julian calendar (13days behind the roman calendar) and day is reckoned by the Byzantine clock with hours of variable lenght." Access was denied to every woman including female animals and smoothed face person, although they now allow female animals and males don't have to have a beard. A bit archaic but themselves the rules. Officially a yacht with females on board is not allowed to approach within 1mile of the shore and there is an exclusion zone of 500 meters around the peninsula.
We of course went as close as we could and it was magnificent. We did note that there were roads and vehicles also a lot of satelite dishes and solar panels, so I think that the are not quite as cut off from the world as reported. Apparently there is pressure mounting from the European Parliament to lift the ban on women visitors.
We headed back to Skala Sikias for the night.

3rd August
Sailed across to Limnos Island for the night and stayed on the town pier. Cooks night off so had a walk around the town and dinner. After looking at weather forcasts, we have made a change to our plans and will not be heading for Lesbos a bit disappointing but thems the breaks. So we decided to head towards the Sporades Island group. Had a lovely sail to an uninhabited island with this stunning bay. Anchored at Kira Panayia on Plantis island. It was a nor row opening that opened up to this huge bay with great protection from the Meltimi. Very peaceful night. We are so lucky with our guests as for them like us it is about the boat and all the places that we get to see that land based tourists don't get to. Sure we enjoy the touristy places but it is very special to go to bays where ther are no,piers or tavernas and just enjoy the peace and quiet of the wonderful scenery.
5th August
Had a lovely sail across to Alonnisos and went on the town pier then caught the bus up to the Chora, the village was stunning we had lunch at a taverna with the most amazing view across to Skopelos our next destination. Next morning we sailed across to Skopelos and went on the floating pier at loutrakior Glossa which is the Chora up the hill. Anna and Paul went off to explore the Chora and visit the church made famous in the "Mama Mia" movie.
Unfortunately we had some bad weather coming in and we were unable to get a booking on the town pier at Skiathos so Anna and Paul made the decision to catch the ferry across and spend a night and explore before their flight home. We sadly waved good bye, we will miss them both.
The photo one of the many magnificent monasteries we passed as we went along the Akti peninsula.
Comments
Vessel Name: Split Enz
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau 49
Hailing Port: Auckland, New Zealand
Crew: Steve and Angela Northey
About:
We are Steve and Ange Northey from New Zealand and have decided there is more to life than working. As both our children are now adults and we have good health, we have decided that it is time to follow our dreams. [...]
Split Enz's Photos - Main
35 Photos
Created 14 August 2016
10 Photos
Created 14 August 2016
4 Photos
Created 14 August 2016
8 Photos
Created 14 August 2016
7 Photos
Created 14 August 2016
8 Photos
Created 14 August 2016
9 Photos
Created 6 May 2016
12 Photos
Created 2 September 2015
19 Photos
Created 26 August 2015
33 Photos
Created 18 July 2015
32 Photos
Created 18 July 2015
16 Photos
Created 18 July 2015
6 Photos
Created 18 July 2015
17 Photos
Created 16 June 2015
12 Photos
Created 15 June 2015
7 Photos
Created 10 June 2015
7 Photos
Created 10 June 2015
8 Photos
Created 10 June 2015
10 Photos
Created 10 June 2015
12 Photos
Created 1 June 2015
Kasos
5 Photos
Created 1 June 2015
22 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
22 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
Corfu, lefkas, Cephalonia, Zakinthos, Pelopinnisos.
17 Photos
Created 26 April 2015
4 Photos
Created 19 April 2015
17 Photos
Created 19 April 2015
7 Photos
Created 10 April 2015
On our way to the boat we called in to Brockenhurst to visit Iain and Mary
10 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
20 Photos
Created 21 March 2015
16 Photos
Created 20 March 2015
40 Photos
Created 8 February 2015
15 Photos
Created 7 February 2015
32 Photos
Created 6 February 2015
Our last few weeks before returning to NZ
49 Photos
Created 6 February 2015
17 Photos
Created 6 February 2015
73 Photos
Created 6 February 2015
75 Photos
Created 6 February 2015
15 Photos
Created 6 February 2015
60 Photos
Created 6 February 2015
23 Photos
Created 6 February 2015
47 Photos
Created 6 February 2015
19 Photos
Created 6 February 2015
20 Photos
Created 6 February 2015
14 Photos
Created 6 February 2015
5 Photos
Created 6 February 2015
50 Photos
Created 6 February 2015
43 Photos
Created 6 February 2015
22 Photos
Created 6 February 2015