S/V Star of the Sea

17 August 2011 | Chautauqua Lake, NY, USA
06 May 2011 | Myrtle Beach, SC
01 May 2011 | Charleston, South Carolina
26 April 2011 | Charleston, South Carolina
12 April 2011 | Vero Beach, Florida
06 April 2011 | Hope Town, Abacos
02 April 2011 | Hope Town, Abacos
31 March 2011 | Hope Town, Abacos
29 March 2011 | Sandy Cay, Abacos
27 March 2011 | Alabaster Bay, Eleuthera, Bahamas
20 March 2011 | Staniel Cay, Bahamas
20 March 2011 | Staniel Cay, Bahamas
12 March 2011 | Georgetown, Bahamas
06 March 2011 | Georgetown, Bahamas
06 March 2011 | Georgetown, Bahamas
26 February 2011 | Monument Anchorage
20 February 2011 | Thompson Bay, LI, Bahamas

The Elbow Reef Lighthouse

31 March 2011 | Hope Town, Abacos
Chris
This is Jeffrey, the lighthouse keeper of the Elbow Reef Lighthouse in Hope Town, Abacos, Bahamas. When you come into the Hope Town Harbor, a well-protected and safe harbor to pick up a mooring ball, the lighthouse is the first thing you see when you are tied up. Red and White striped and 120 feet above sea level, it has been in place and fully operational since 1864.

We motored into Hope Town Harbor late on Tuesday afternoon, waiting at our anchorage near Sugar Loaf until the tide was almost high. The convoluted set of waypoints to get safely into the harbor takes you through some very shallow waters. We couldn't rubberneck at the beautiful sights we saw along the way, just keep our eyes on Oz's stern and our chart plotter. I didn't read off all the depths to Peaches, only the good ones so she wouldn't worry more than she already was. We came in unscathed thanks to Ken and his friends on Orient Express, who had gotten us two adjacent mooring balls near their boat. Bruce was in his dinghy ready to hand us the lines and we were set. An invitation for dinner was included in the service. That was when I saw the lighthouse. I knew it was there because it was featured on all the guide books, but wow, here we were!

In the early 1800s, this British colony was right in the shipping lanes for lots of ships coming and going to England. The islands of the Bahamas, especially those of the Abacos were ringed with dangerous shoals, reefs, rocks cays and white sandy beaches. The Abaconians made a good living from salvaging the wrecks that fetched up on the reefs near their homes. It was called wracking, and employed more than half of the able-bodied men of these islands.

Concerned shipping interests implored England to improve their almost nonexistent navigational aids in her colonies. Too many of England's finest ships were leaving their "bones" on the reefs. The Bahamas were in the way of many of England's biggest ports of call in Central and South America as well as the gulf coast of the US. In the 1860s, there was an average of one shipwreck per month in the Abacos alone.

The lighthouse at Elbow Cay was built in 1863 and completed in 1864. The British inspector chose the site because he could see six wrecks from the top of the hill where he was standing! There was considerable enmity from the Abaconians about the building of the lighthouse, as it would ruin their economy. Over three hundred licenses to salvage ships were in effect at the time of the building of the lighthouse.

When completed, it was a steady light lighthouse signal, going out to sea about 15 miles. When ships passed the light, safely off the rocks, they put up signal flags which the lighthouse keepers recorded in their logbooks, signaling back their response. When ships passed the light, the keepers sent a bill to the shipping business in England for the safe passage. This still persists around the world, to help pay the costs of the navigational aids.

This lighthouse is perhaps one of only a few in the world that is still manned 24 hours a day. Even the lighthouses along the English Channel are now automated to save money. In my net-search, only a few manned lighthouses persist even in third-world countries. The last in the US was at the Boston Light, also one of the first built in the country.

Enough dry stuff for now. We went by dinghy a short distance across the harbor to the lighthouse dock, tied up and started the climb to the base of the lighthouse and the various outbuildings. Our goal was to climb the 101 steps to the top, see the sunset and take pictures of the harbor, and then, hopefully see the keeper light the mantle. Peaches made it to the top, with sheer determination. I had forgotten how much she hates heights, so she overcame a couple of difficulties to get there. All four of us made it to the top and Connie, Ken and I all squeezed ourselves through a window-sized door out to the platform just below the light. The wind felt good, we'd walked all day and were sweaty and hot. We took lots of pictures of the harbor, the island and out to sea as well as the sunset. It wasn't much because of all smoke from the brush fires on the islands to the west of us. I believe they do some intentional burns to cut the thick underbrush in some areas.

The sun set and we were in the small area just below the light where the many gears and pulleys are to turn the light. It is now a signal light, with one full rotation every 15 seconds, giving five flashes and then a gap on each rotation. We took pictures of the gears, and also the two brass plates showing the manufacturer's name, from Birmingham England. You could see up into the Fresnel prisms and smell the oil on the gears and a whiff of the kerosene used to fuel the light.

After quite a while, darkness had descended, we heard someone coming up the stairs. At this point Peaches decided she had been high long enough and didn't really want to be in a kerosene smelling place when the guy struck his match. Down she went. Ken went down to watch Jeffrey pump up the air pressure under the kerosene tanks so that it would flow up into the light. There were about 10 red plastic kerosene tanks there that Jeffrey carries up from the dock every day then hauls up by a l-o-n-g rope to the top. I think how heavy it is for Peaches and I to carry our diesel tanks and marvel at this guy's upper body strength (and from the pumping he does and from the winding of the weights to turn the light, done every two hours all night long).

He came up to where we were anxiously waiting for him and crawled up right into the light. He sat, it almost seemed reverentially, watching the light he lit for the pilot light to heat up the main light. He also climbed out to drop all the canvas curtains on the openings surrounding the light lenses. They are there because the intense sunlight here would filter through the prisms and start a fire during daylight. We watched him until finally he took a long-handled cup of Kerosene and primed the light and it was lit. He watched it for a while; adjusting and twiddling knobs to get it just right.

He got down from the light and back to where we were and started winding the weights from the bottom of the lighthouse up to the top, a long process that is done every 2 hours all night long. These weights cause the light to rotate, at the right speed, all night. The area under the light is filled with mercury and all he had to do to start the rotation was give it a gentle push, the weights will do the rest.

Jeffrey said he works 7 days a week all year, with one month off for vacation. What a job this must be. He seemed healthy and happy and was a big man, almost too big to fit up into the light! His father was the light keeper before him, for over 37 years. Jeffrey has been doing it for 6 years so far. There is no talk yet of automating it. Why fix something that has worked so well for so long.

We all said good-night to him and went home, very happy, in our dinghies. It was for me the most interesting part of my trip this year. I hope you like the photographs. Star of the Sea, out.

For further reading go to my best source,
http://www.go-abacos.com/news/whatson/whatson_lighth.html
Comments
Vessel Name: Star of the Sea
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 423
Hailing Port: Buffalo, NY
Crew: Peaches Wagner and Chris Flanders
About:
A Nursing Home Administrator and a Nurse Practitioner who have always wanted to sail after retirement are ready to start their adventure. [...]
Star of the Sea's Photos - Middle River (Main)
No Photos
Created 9 December 2012
40 Photos
Created 9 December 2012
13 Photos
Created 24 June 2011
28 Photos
Created 6 May 2011
13 Photos
Created 1 May 2011
14 Photos
Created 26 April 2011
33 Photos
Created 24 April 2011
13 Photos
Created 12 April 2011
40 Photos
Created 12 April 2011
9 Photos
Created 12 April 2011
10 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 6 April 2011
32 Photos
Created 2 April 2011
35 Photos
Created 2 April 2011
14 Photos
Created 2 April 2011
32 Photos
Created 31 March 2011
10 Photos
Created 29 March 2011
50 Photos
Created 27 March 2011
32 Photos
Created 27 March 2011
21 Photos
Created 20 March 2011
47 Photos
Created 20 March 2011
28 Photos
Created 13 March 2011
50 Photos
Created 12 March 2011
11 Photos
Created 6 March 2011
24 Photos
Created 6 March 2011
37 Photos
Created 26 February 2011
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2011
35 Photos
Created 19 February 2011
36 Photos
Created 14 February 2011
14 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 6 February 2011
33 Photos
Created 29 January 2011
47 Photos
Created 25 January 2011
23 Photos
Created 19 January 2011
29 Photos
Created 19 January 2011
24 Photos
Created 8 January 2011
11 Photos
Created 4 January 2011
27 Photos
Created 1 January 2011
17 Photos
Created 26 December 2010
10 Photos
Created 21 December 2010
34 Photos
Created 19 December 2010
25 Photos
Created 10 December 2010
23 Photos
Created 7 December 2010
57 Photos
Created 4 December 2010
36 Photos
Created 30 November 2010
21 Photos
Created 27 November 2010
28 Photos
Created 26 November 2010
25 Photos
Created 22 November 2010
24 Photos
Created 14 November 2010
13 Photos
Created 14 November 2010
23 Photos
Created 5 November 2010
44 Photos
Created 20 October 2010
29 Photos
Created 4 October 2010
9 Photos
Created 13 June 2010
62 Photos
Created 10 June 2010
12 Photos
Created 10 June 2010
23 Photos
Created 9 June 2010
15 Photos
Created 26 May 2010
40 Photos
Created 24 May 2010
10 Photos
Created 23 May 2010
21 Photos
Created 16 May 2010
23 Photos
Created 14 May 2010
36 Photos
Created 12 May 2010
26 Photos
Created 10 May 2010
52 Photos
Created 7 May 2010
15 Photos
Created 29 April 2010
10 Photos
Created 29 April 2010
30 Photos
Created 29 April 2010
29 Photos
Created 20 April 2010
22 Photos
Created 16 April 2010
54 Photos
Created 9 April 2010
54 Photos
Created 6 April 2010
27 Photos
Created 3 April 2010
24 Photos
Created 30 March 2010
36 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 28 March 2010
12 Photos
Created 15 March 2010
18 Photos
Created 8 March 2010
24 Photos
Created 2 March 2010
22 Photos
Created 22 February 2010
7 Photos
Created 17 February 2010
7 Photos
Created 14 February 2010
18 Photos
Created 12 February 2010
26 Photos
Created 6 February 2010
29 Photos
Created 30 January 2010
9 Photos
Created 26 January 2010
27 Photos
Created 15 January 2010
7 Photos
Created 7 January 2010
9 Photos
Created 2 January 2010
17 Photos
Created 18 December 2009
31 Photos
Created 11 December 2009
39 Photos
Created 8 December 2009
10 Photos
Created 6 December 2009
17 Photos
Created 4 December 2009
10 Photos
Created 29 November 2009
29 Photos
Created 26 November 2009
6 Photos
Created 26 November 2009
17 Photos
Created 23 November 2009
19 Photos
Created 20 November 2009
41 Photos
Created 19 November 2009
19 Photos
Created 16 November 2009
53 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 15 November 2009
10 Photos
Created 2 November 2009
19 Photos
Created 31 October 2009
20 Photos
Created 27 October 2009
12 Photos
Created 24 October 2009
25 Photos
Created 23 October 2009
32 Photos
Created 20 October 2009
7 Photos
Created 19 October 2009
17 Photos
Created 15 October 2009
11 Photos
Created 12 October 2009
10 Photos
Created 7 October 2009
23 Photos
Created 3 October 2009
24 Photos
Created 28 September 2009
18 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 26 September 2009
12 Photos
Created 21 September 2009
12 Photos
Created 19 September 2009
5 Photos
Created 17 September 2009
24 Photos
Created 15 September 2009
11 Photos
Created 15 September 2009
43 Photos
Created 12 September 2009
19 Photos
Created 10 September 2009
24 Photos
Created 6 September 2009
10 Photos
Created 3 July 2009