Wood, Wind, and Water

The adventures of S/V Starbound and her crew

12 January 2010 | W. Palm Beach, FL
10 January 2010 | W. Palm Beach, FL
24 December 2009 | Cos Cob Connecticut
07 December 2009 | walburg Creek, off the ICW - Mile 620
04 December 2009 | north of Beaufort, SC
16 November 2009 | North Carolina

On the move again

04 December 2009 | north of Beaufort, SC
Jimmy/Heather
Alright, alright we're still getting used to this blog idea. A slight blush crept across my cheeks as I realized that the last (and only) post was in Wrightsville Beach. Ah, Wrightsville Beach...it seems so long ago. The green long board has yet to touch the water but is lashed to the deck, ready on a moments notice. A few highlights of the trip between Wrightsville and Charleston: A nail-biting trip through the (aptly-named) "Rockpile" (a canal with submerged sharp rocks jutting out into the deep channel) on a dark rainy day; The birds, oh the birds...bald eagles, golden eagles, egrets, herons, shore birds by the dozens and some of the most beautiful salt marshes, estuaries and creeks we have ever seen. We spent a quiet secluded night anchored in a little creek by Dewees Island sailing the Sassy Girl and watching dolphins frolic and play around us, right out of a movie it was. One of those moments in life when one might question "is this really happening? could it be this good?" The next morning we were up and on to Charleston with the sunrise. (Note: What's 9:00 PM? - Cruisers midnight!)

After spending way too long in Charleston where we hid from the whooping cough, made bad attempts to get some canvas work done (it didn't fit), managed to get a haircut, waited around for an electrical guy that never showed up, ate lots and lots of good food with other people trying to escape the madness of life on land for a short time, did two grocery runs totaling over $1,000. (prices in the Bahamas are very high we hear), met the mustache travelers www.mustachetravelers.blogspot.com, spent three nights in a real bed at our friend's (Joe, Natasha, and Kuffin on Seabrook island), visited a few museums and let the kids stretch their sea legs, changed the oil in the Yanmar ourselves for the first time, met lots of interesting people, helped a new friend who flipped his dinghy - losing two bicycles in the process, put in four shelves for storage, finally got together for a fine dinner with three lovely people (Stephan, Julie and The Incredible Melanie) on "Coincidence" who have coincidently been popping up every week or so since New Jersey--- we are finally on the move again.

The waning moon is dropping down to the horizon and we can see a glimmer of sunrise so it is time to make the tea, weigh the anchor, and get going.
Comments
Vessel Name: Starbound
Vessel Make/Model: Spray replica
Hailing Port: Brooklin, ME
Crew: Captain Jimmy, First Mate Heather, Able-Seaman Tani, Ship's Baby River

Who: Captain Jimmy, First Mate Heather, Able-Seaman Tani, Ship's Baby River
Port: Brooklin, ME