Sailing Starfire

Voyaging in the Pacific

Serene Sunrise "Sail" back to Bee Bay

May 7, 2020
It’s tough to leave La Ramada Cove, which we certainly claim as one of our most favorite bays in the Sea Of Cortez. But, we’d like to beat the south winds. What a forgotten treat it is to motor out at sunrise (6:15 am) in calm seas, through the groups of pelicans, fishing for their breakfast. We’re thankful for some cloud cover, and it’s making for a much cooler, colorful morning! We pass the coves of San Juanico on our starboard side, and I lament that we were not able to check those out as many people really find them fascinating. Mostly, they enjoy visiting the local farm/family to purchase fresh produce and eggs. True to the times, we’ve heard that the produce is gone now. Who knows? Maybe some time we will return and have this bay to look forward to as a new experience.
We motor along peacefully for about three and a half hours, deciding between Ballandra Bay (most likely crowded) or Isla Coronados. We need an anchorage that will provide protection from the south during the day and then from some westerly winds forecast for this evening (in the middle of the night as per usual). Since we can’t really take a chance on getting to Ballandra and finding that there is not enough room, we head to Coronados, praying maybe the bee situation has died down.
At least they didn’t swarm us immediately when we anchored this time, but sure enough, in a couple of hours, they had notified the hive (somewhere) that they were able to locate some treasured sources of water in our sink (darn…not quick enough with the lunch dishes), and Rolf quickly zipped on the full screens. Thank God for those, as quite a few bees are bouncing off the screens as I type! The next day, they are once more buzzing all over the boat, soaking up the morning dew...


Comments