Freilassen

To Set Free

Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 386
Hailing Port: Eastport, MD
Crew: Chuck & Ann
About:
Retirement officially begins for both of us March 1. Married with two amazing daughters. Seeking adventure, good times with family and friends, and God's steady presence, especially when things get a little too exciting. [...]
Extra: A boat is just a house on the water with no address!
27 November 2016 | Charleston, SC - City Marina
07 November 2016 | Bellhaven, NC
06 November 2016 | Winn Bay
05 November 2016 | Coinjock, NC
03 November 2016 | Portsmouth, VA
02 November 2016 | Doziers Deltaville, VA
01 November 2016 | Solomons
26 July 2016 | Atlantic Highlands
10 July 2016 | Green's Harbor New London
01 July 2016 | Manhasset Bay
29 June 2016 | Atlantic Highlands, NJ
28 June 2016 | Kammerman's Marina Atlantic City
28 June 2016 | Henlopen - Lewes, DE
23 June 2016 | Summit Marina North - Chesapeake & Delaware Canal
06 June 2016 | Pittsburgh, PA
10 February 2016 | Pittsburgh, PA
Recent Blog Posts
27 November 2016 | Charleston, SC - City Marina

Sailing Alone Around the World

The title of this book published in 1900, "Sailing Alone Around the World", doesn't apply to us. Joshua Slocum launched a small boat from Fairhaven, MA and became the first person to ever sail around the world single handed (BTW he couldn't swim!). I found a small marker commemorating his adventure [...]

07 November 2016 | Bellhaven, NC

Southern Cooking

How do you know when you are really in the south? Its when you can get real southern cooking. You can suddenly buy the best peanuts in the country, hush puppies are mandatory, there are whole dried hams in the stores, black eyed peas and collard greens are side dishes with a hamburger, and shrimp n' grits are on many menus. We left Winn Bay to spend two days in Bellhaven, NC to rest. Not knowing what to expect we came to a town with one stop light and one of the best restaurants we have ever encountered. The restaurant Spoon River came out of nowhere and is in the most remote place I could imagine. We hadn't seen a house for about 100 miles of the ICW till we reached Bellhaven. We had no cell service. Doesn't matter, you need to find a way to go to Spoon!

06 November 2016 | Winn Bay

Perfect Day

Successfully transited the much feared Albemarle Sound from Coinjock without any issues. Used a triple reefed main to control the boat in high winds. Great run but very cold. The picture is sunset in our anchorage in Winn Bay. Perfect end to a perfect day.

05 November 2016 | Coinjock, NC

ICW

The importance of our coastlines to the military and defense of our country is evident in the history of the intracoastal waterway. In 1763, a young George Washington first proposed connecting the Chesapeake Bay to the Albemarle Sound via a canal subsequently to be known as the Dismal Swamp Canal. [...]

03 November 2016 | Portsmouth, VA

Nuclear Submarines as Hazards to Navigation

Another beautiful run of 57 miles. In fact Ann and I took turns taking naps. While underway we heard an announcement by the Navy that they were commencing "A Live Fire Exercise". That got our attention and we made sure we weren't near their location. We are headed to Hampton Roads home of Norfolk [...]

02 November 2016 | Doziers Deltaville, VA

Cubs Win!

We have never been this far south on our boat before. We arrived in Deltaville, VA after 53 miles in 80 F temperatures. We left Solomons into a beautiful sunrise and turned south. Great day, no complications. Doziers marina in Deltaville was fantastic and they had a captains lounge that was perfect for watching the Cubs win the world series! In reality I passed out about 11 and Ann at midnight when they were tied 6-6. We woke up to baseball history.

New York, New York!!

01 July 2016 | Manhasset Bay
Chuck - perfect weather
In 1920 the SS Madonna came through these same waters to America carrying an orphaned 6 year old boy from Sicily in the hope to find a better life. Nearly a hundred years latter I was sailing the same route through New York harbor with his daughter, my wife Ann.
Starting from Sandy Hook (6/30, 0830) we were just passing underneath the Verrazano Bridge and entering New York Harbor. We could see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island in the distance and the looming Manhattan sky line illuminated by a morning sun on a beautiful sunny day. The statue was the same as when Charlie Fiduccia came from Cefalu but the skyline couldn't be more different. It's almost impossible to imagine the stresses he must have coped with to take the risk to come here and then the courage to become as successful as he was.
We were enroute to go through the harbor and transit the East river with an ultimate destination to reach Port Washington in Manhasset Bay, Long Island Sound. As you pass under the Verrazano we noticed a very old stone structure that you can't see from the busy expressway above. It was the old Wadsworth fort (built in 1663!) used to guard the entrance to the harbor. You could see how the structure could accommodate about 50 cannon and multiple other gun placements. If you were unwelcome in NY harbor in the old days you would have had a very unpleasant reception party.
After the bridge you have about an hour left to reach the Battery and plenty of time to take in all the sights. We sailed for the Statue of Liberty first. Now we had heard a lot about boat traffic in New York and have watched the craziness from shore, but I have to say it wasn't any worse than what we encounter around Annapolis.
We stayed out of the cargo ship lanes and slowed down to let the 300 foot Daedelus pass by as it made its way to the marine dock west of the harbor - right of tonnage! The high speed ferries and the Staten Island Ferry were pretty easy to avoid as you watched their preferred routes. It was the tourist boats that were the most erratic but, experienced captains kept us apart. The most difficult thing are the barges. They don't seem to answer to any higher authority, come and go as they please, and expect you to get out of the way regardless whether you are right or not. That's the only vessel you have to worry about. The only other risk were the pleasure boats and people fishing right in the middle of the harbor in the midst of all the craziness.
The one thing i didn't anticipate was the noise. Seaplanes taking off right beside our boat, helicopters buzzing like angry bees, jet noise from nearby Newark, the wind, and boat engines constantly changing speeds.
We passed the Statue of Liberty and approached Ellis Island to port with the new Freedom Tower behind us across the water. The combination of new and old, the historical significance of all three structures....I can't think of a more symbolic spot to be in our country to reflect on what it takes to protect our freedoms and way of life. It was a very moving moment. We hope the politicians haven't screwed it up and we have only praise for our military service men and women.
It was 1215 and we had to head up the East River by 1230 to make the tide. We made our move to go past the Battery and what an amazing experience to go past lower Manhattan. Everything was in motion and making noise. Boats, planes,tug boats, helicopters, ships, barges, people on shore. We made it without any problems and began going under the bridges up the river. Got a great picture of the Brooklyn bridge with Freedom Tower in the background that I will try to post.
After going under the Williamsburg bridge we hugged the starboard side and made our way close in to Transmitter Park. There is a long peer there with good water depth. At the end of the peer as we went by about 50 feet away was Mary our daughter with her co-workers from her new design studio. We were all smiles as we asked for one grande mocha frappucino and a tall latte to go (just joking of course!). What a thrill to sail past your daughter on the East river. We couldn't spend too much time there because of the moving tide and we had to stay on schedule.
The tide in the East River is an impressive thing. A very narrow river with a relatively deep channel that can have 4 knots of current with the tide. That means a boat that goes 7 knots would only make 3 knots if it fought the current and potentially >9 knots with the current. We made 8 knots the whole way with no major incidents.
The northern channel for the East river is pretty industrial with treatment plants, docks, Riker's Island with it's prison surrounded by razor wire, and LaGuardia airport with planes landing every couple of minutes.
It was dramatically different as we rounded Oc G lighthouse, the entrance to Long Island Sound. Cooler air, cold water, more rocks, and more wind...definitely a more northeast feel. It was the end to a perfect day as we rounded the corner to a mooring ball in Manhasset Bay.
This has been an amazing experience. Hope you get a flavor of it from reading the post.
God Bless America, what a great place we live in!
Comments
Blue Heaven's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 28 June 2016
Photos from Annapolis to the Sassafras river to C&D Canal
4 Photos
Created 23 June 2016