Steen Rally

Follow us on our sailing adventure from France to Australia

30 December 2015 | Sydney
29 July 2015 | Sydney
15 January 2015 | Sydney
22 December 2014 | Sydney
21 November 2014 | Cairns, Australia
02 November 2014 | Cairns, Australia
21 October 2014 | Port Vila, Vanuatu
01 October 2014 | Fiji
20 September 2014 | Fiji
08 September 2014 | Fiji
24 July 2014 | Neiafu, Tonga
06 July 2014 | Tahaa. French Polynesia
23 June 2014 | Moorea
23 June 2014 | Moorea
15 June 2014 | Papeete, Tahiti
14 May 2014 | Marquesas, French Polynesia

Antigua

30 March 2012 | Bitter End, BVI
Voahangy
Antigua, Feb 14-19, 2012

Terry’s scheme to get us on the move again worked a treat: we had a fast 68nm sail up from Guadeloupe, partly on the nose, at the start, but then it was a beautiful reach all the way to Antigua.

Our first encounter with megayachts was back in 1991, when we visited the Monaco Boat Show. After checking out more “ordinary” boats (i.e. ones we can afford) in La Rochelle and Cannes, that was a real eye opener. Back then, these 150ft white shiny boats were rarely seen in Australia, and were mostly located in the Med and the USA. Fast forward, 20 years later and their numbers have increased dramatically (just grab a copy of any boat magazine!). We’ve seen a few in the Med and thru the Pacific during our previous travels, but so far this trip only a handful around the Grenadines and often wondered where they were based. Now we know. In Antigua, megayachts are everywhere. In Falmouth Harbour and English Harbour to be exact, both places appearing to be the winter home of many gold-plated charter yachts (sail or power).It is reminding us of the Monaco Boat Show but this time the crews are working, fixing, polishing, provisioning. It is an amazing sight, especially at night. With the amount of electricity these boats generate, they could light a small town. I wonder if anyone has asked them about their carbon footprint?

From a cruising point of view, Antigua’s main attraction include more beautiful and protected anchorages than any other islands we’ve to so far, as well as the famous and historic English Harbour.
We’re anchored in Falmouth Harbour, which sits side by side with English Harbour, almost touching at the closest point. Both harbours are easily accessible from the ocean, and protected enough to be safe in a hurricane. The British recognised that potential centuries ago, when they build English Harbour Dockyard and used is as their main naval station in the Lesser Antilles back in 1745. Britain’s favourite hero, Horatio Nelson was stationed here and made commander in 1784, and the place is now generally known as Nelson’s Dockyard in deference to him. As happened to many facilities in the islands in the past, the dockyard fell into ruins and it wasn’t until the 1950’s that another British commander, Vernon Nicholson, arrived on the island and set out to restore the site. Nowadays it sits as a beautifully restored Georgian monument, which houses restaurants, hotels and marine businesses as well a marina. No doubt, Nelson would be amazed to see the ships here nowadays!
Since all the marinas are full with megayachts, we’re anchoring out. That’s a much better option anyway for several reasons: first, marina costs here are prohibitive for us, then at dusk sandflies come out viciously, and the view around the harbour is so nice, it would be a shame to be squeezed between ships as high as 2-storey buildings. The only disappointment is that we can’t swim in this beautiful water: the harbour is busy with small boat traffic, no local fishermen, but megayacht tenders with crew zooming from one marina to the other at high speed, who obviously think that their time is more important than the safety of swimmers. (Yes, I have a gripe against fast dinghies in a busy anchorage, as well as jet skis, water skis, cigarette boats…) So for safety reasons, I refuse to let anyone in the water, unless they stay between the 2 hulls of our boat (hurray for catamarans!)

Not that we are antisocial. We have the pleasant surprise to find PHAEDO and its crew at the Antigua Marina, last seen in St Lucia 2 months ago. Also, MIAOUSS arrived a few days later and together we hired a car and took off in a fun tour of the island.

In contrast with the bustle around English Harbour and Falmouth Harbour, the rest of Antigua seems very quiet (dead says Terry). We drove past a few exclusive beach resorts, which didn’t seem that busy. The capital St John has a laid back old Caribbean feel, busy with cruise ship passengers. We had to go to the post office there and send Anne’s school work: 117EC to send registered mail(only way to send it express, though it would only leave for Australia Friday and Wednesday and I just missed Fridays’ deadline, so it would be 5 days before it even left Antigua!). Not impressed! We made a dent in the reading budget, stocking up on books and could not help but check out the largest supermarket in Antigua. Not that we needed anything after our mega provisioning in Guadeloupe, but since our beer supply had run low (thanks to heavy partying on the marina pontoon in PAP)… Oh, what an emporium, evidently geared towards the high heeled yacht owners: rows upon rows of sauces, cheeses, tinned fish, smoked salmon, frozen ham, USDA steaks, picture perfect air freighted vegetables along local fruits…We walked in intending to buy beer only, walked out with fresh mozzarella, microwavable popcorn, sour cream, juicy looking strawberries, meaty pork spare ribs, vegemite…Anne was in heaven, being treated to Haagen Daz ice cream!

When driving around with MIAOUSS, the island appeared so quiet we thought the people may have been 7th day Adventists, and Saturday a holiday. It turns out that apart from English/Falmouth Harbour and St John, the rest of Antigua doesn’t teem with many tourists: most stay at the beach resort they’ve booked in for a week, there aren’t a lot driving around like us expecting to find an open restaurant on the beach at lunch time (is there something wrong with us?). It seems that the island comes to life in April, with the Antigua Racing Week which sees dozens of boats (and hundreds of crews and their mates) competing in regattas all around the island. We won’t be here to watch it, and as it is the RORC Caribbean 600 race is on next Monday (20th Feb), and judging by the number of performance sailing yachts around Falmouth Harbour, and the preparations going on, it appears that the island is rehearsing for the big event already. In fact the frenzy of activity seems to have spread on the water, and with more tenders zooming past all day long, we decided to sail onto the west coast towards Deep Bay. The 3 MIAOUSS kids (Sophie, Marie and Xavier) jumped ship for the day and sailed with us, only a short afternoon trip to a beautiful anchorage, at the bottom of old Fort Barrington (which took us ages to find by car the day before!) Our usual walk up the hill consisted of a fun scramble up the fort, followed by a snorkelling on the wreck of the Andes, a 3 masted iron barque that sank at the entrance of the bay back in 1905. Back on the beach, Marc got everyone involved in some kind of commando training (running and crawling in soft sand) which doubled as PE activity for school, and beside a couple of party boats during the day, come sunset, we had the place to ourselves.

All in all, a nice island to visit, we could have stayed and explored for longer, but the weather window was perfect for a passage north, so we took advantage of it and headed up to Barbuda.

Antigua, 14-19 Février, 2012

Terry nous l’avait prédit, la traversée a été parfaite: les 68 miles nautiques entre la Guadeloupe ont commencé face au vent puis au largue jusqu'à Antigua.

Je commence par une petite parenthèse pour nous rappeler la première fois ou nous avons vu des « megayachts ». C’était en 1991, au salon nautique de Monaco. Apres avoir regardé des bateaux plus « ordinaires » (lire, dans nos moyens) a La Rochelle et Cannes, c’était une révélation ! A l’époque, ces gros bateaux de 150 pieds, blancs et rutilants, se voyaient rarement en Australie, et on les trouvait plus en méditerranée et aux Etats-Unis. Maintenant, 20 ans plus tard, il n’y a qu’à ouvrir un magazine de bateaux pour voir comment leur nombre a augmenté. Nous en avons croisé quelques un lors de nos croisières précédentes en Méditerranée et dans le Pacifique, par contre on n’en a vu qu’une poignée dernièrement dans les Grenadines et on se demandait ou ils étaient bases. Bon, maintenant, on le sait : à Antigua, les megayachts sont partout. A English Harbour et Falmouth Harbour exactement, ou ces deux baies semblent être la base d’hiver pour beaucoup de bateaux charter de luxe (que ce soit moteur ou voile). Ca nous rappelle le Salon de Monaco, sauf qu’ici on voit les équipages bosser, réparer, astiquer, approvisionner…C’est un spectacle hallucinant, encore plus la nuit quand tous les feux sont allumés. Avec toute l’énergie qu’ils génèrent, on pourrait éclairer toute une ville. Et leur empreinte de carbone dans tout ça ?

Pour les plaisanciers que nous sommes, l’attrait d’Antigua est non seulement les mouillages superbes et les plus protégés que nous ayons vu jusque-là, mais aussi le fameux site historique d’English Harbour.

Nous sommes à Falmouth Harbour, qui est juste à côté d’English Harbour. Les deux baies sont faciles d’accès depuis la pleine mer, et particulièrement protégées ce qui leur vaut une réputation de trou a cyclone pendant la saison. Les Anglais ont reconnu cet avantage il y a des siècles, quand ils ont entamé la construction du chantier naval d’English Harbour ou ils ont basé leur station navale dans les Petites Antilles en 1745. Le célèbre commandant britannique, Horatio Nelson, y fut poste en 1784 et le chantier est couramment nomme Nelson’s Dockyard en son honneur. Comme la plupart des sites dans les iles, le chantier est tombe en ruines et ce n’est que dans les années 50 qu’un autre commandant britannique, Vernon Nicholson, arriva à Antigua, au cours d’une croisière et décida de restaurer le site. De nos jours, c’est un monument géorgien magnifique, abritant hôtels, restaurants et des commerces à vocation nautiques ainsi qu’une marina. Nul doute, le commandant Nelson serait impressionné par les bateaux gares le long des quais !

Puisque les marinas sont toutes occupées par des megayachts, nous sommes au mouillage. C’est un choix qui nous convient pour plusieurs raison : déjà, les tarifs des marinas ici sont trop élevés pour nous, ensuite il y a les « nonos » ces petits moucherons qui sortent au crépuscule et dont les piqures vicieuses démangent pendant des jours, et puis la vue dans la baie est tellement belle que ce serait dommage d’être coince entre 2 bateaux hauts comme des immeubles. La seule déception c’est que l’on ne puisse pas nager dans ces eaux si belles : il y a beaucoup de trafic dans la baie, et ce ne sont pas des pêcheurs, mais les annexes de megayachts qui zigzaguent a toute vitesse d’une marina a une autre, de toute évidence conduites par des équipages qui pensent que leur temps est plus important que la sécurité des nageurs (oui, je rouspète aussi contre les jets skis et les skieurs nautiques dans les mouillages bondes). Donc pour raison de sécurité, je refuse de laisser qui que ce soit à l’eau, sauf s’ils restent entre nos deux coques (l’avantage d’avoir un catamaran !)

Ce n’est pas qu’on soit sauvage. A la marina d’Antigua on découvre avec plaisir la présence de PHAEDO et son équipage, vu la dernière fois à St Lucia il y a 2 mois. Quelques jours plus tard, nous sommes rejoints par MIAOUSS et nous décidons de louer des voitures pour faire le tour de l’ile ensemble.

Comparée avec l’activité de English Harbour et Falmouth Harbour, le reste de l’ile nous parait bien calme (mort selon Terry). Nous sommes passés devant des resorts très chics qui n’avaient pas l’air très occupés. La capitale St John, pleine de croisiéristes, a une ambiance très décontractée et bonne enfant, même si l’efficacité laisse à désirer. Il nous a fallu y aller pour poster l’école d’Anne : 117EC (32 euros) pour en recommandé, la seule façon d’envoyer un colis prioritaire en Australie (bien que le courrier pour l’Australie ne parte que le Mercredi et le Vendredi, et comme je venais juste de rater la levée de vendredi, mon colis devrait attendre encore 5 jours avant de partir). Pas très impressionnant ! Cote shopping, on a fait un trou dans notre budget lecture (première librairie anglaise depuis des lustres) et on en a profité pour jeter un coup d’œil dans le plus grand supermarché d’Antigua. Non pas qu’on ait besoin de quoi que ce soit, après notre énorme appro en Guadeloupe, mais vu qu’on n’a plus beaucoup de bière (grâce a ou à cause des fêtes sur le ponton de Pointe à Pitre)…Oh, quelle expérience, manifestement cible sur les propriétaires aux portefeuilles bien gonfles : des rangées entières de sauces, fromages, poissons en boite, saumon fume, jambons entiers surgelés, des légumes a la forme parfaite venus par avion, ainsi que des fruits locaux…On n’avait l’intention de n’acheter que de la bière, et on est ressorti les bras charges de fraiche mozzarella, du popcorn à cuire au micro-onde, de la crème fraiche, des fraises juteuses, des ribs, du vegemite…Anne était ravie d’être venue, récompensée par de la glace Häagen Daz !

Lors de notre périple autour de l’ile avec MIAOUSS, Antigua nous a paru tellement calme on s’est demande si les gens n’étaient pas des baptistes et Samedi un jour férié. En fait, il s’avère qu’à part dans la région de English et Falmouth Harbour, Antigua ne grouille pas de monde : la plupart des touristes restent dans les resorts qu’ils ont réservé pour la semaine, et il y en a très peu comme nous qui se baladent en voiture, en pensant trouver un restau en bord de plage pour midi (et pourquoi pas ?). Apparemment l’ile est beaucoup plus animée au mois d’Avril, quand la Régate d’Antigua se déroule. La, des douzaines de bateaux somptueux (et leurs centaines d’équipage et entourage) entrent en compétition pendant une semaine, faisant des régates tout autour de l’ile. Nous n’y assisterons pas, par contre une autre course (la RORC Caribbean 600) est prévue pour lundi prochain (20 février) et à en juger par le nombre de voiliers de course autour de Falmouth Harbour et les préparations qui vont bon train, on dirait que l’ile s’échauffe pour un bel évènement. A tel point, que vu l’activité dans la baie, avec les annexes fonçant partout, on décide finalement de lever l’ancre et partir le long de la côte ouest vers Deep Bay. Les enfants de MIAOUSS (Sophie, Marie, et Xavier) se sont à joins à nous pour la journée pour profiter d’une courte navigation vers un mouillage magnifique, au pied de Fort Barrington (qu’on avait eu beaucoup de mal à trouver en voiture la veille !). Notre randonnée habituelle a consisté d’une belle balade vers le fort, suivie d’une séance de snorkelling au-dessus de l’épave « Andes », un navire en acier a 3 mats qui s’est échoué a l’entrée de la baie en 1905. De retour à la plage, Marc a entrainé tout le monde pour un entrainement style-commando (course et rampe dans le sable mou !) qui a eu le mérite de servir de séance d’éducation physique pour l’école. Sinon, à part quelques zodiacs pendant la journée, une fois le soleil couche, nous avons eu le mouillage à nous tous seuls.

Bref, une ile très jolie et agréable à visiter, on aurait aimé y rester un peu plus longtemps, mais la fenêtre météo s’annonçant favorable pour une navigation vers le Nord, on en a profité pour partir sur Barbuda.
Comments
Vessel Name: VOAHANGY
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 560
Hailing Port: Sydney
Crew: Terry, Voahangy, Marc, Anne Steen
About:
Terry, 71, skipper, ex-pilot, surfer, aerobatics champion, can fix anything, never sea sick, loves a beer, hates the cold, is happiest anchored off a deserted beach. [...]
VOAHANGY's Photos - Main
84 Photos
Created 20 November 2014
2 glorious months, cruising various parts of Fiji. So many different experiences in one country: lush rainforests, colourful indian towns, blue lagoons, traditional villages, great fishing, fancy resorts... And the best part was sharing the cruising with family and friends. Can't beat Fiji with company! Here is a collection of our favourite moments (and there are a few!!!)
1 Photo | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 12 October 2014
Some of the whales actions we witnessed in Tonga, to read with the Whales action post by Anne!
7 Photos
Created 1 October 2014
Whale watching, snorkelling, bonfires, making new friends...One of the most remote and austere destination, far away from big tourism, with friendly people holding on to their traditions. Weather a bit chilly, but who cares???
46 Photos
Created 10 September 2014
49 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
15 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
9 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
38 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
20 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
72 Photos
Created 28 June 2014
55 Photos
Created 23 June 2014
27 Photos
Created 15 May 2014
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2014
40 Photos
Created 30 March 2014
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 15 March 2014
The time finally came to leave...a month of celebrations and sadness!
30 Photos
Created 5 March 2014
Another holiday within the holiday! Spent 13 fantastic days in Whistler, British Columbia joined by Aussie friends David and Denise. First time on skis for them, perfecting camps for Marc and Anne, loads of fun for everyone.
70 Photos
Created 8 February 2014
Nothing like having family and friends coming for a visit in the sun. Lots of eating, drinking, swimming, laughing...showing everyone our small paradise.
99 Photos
Created 30 January 2014
End of school year in Puerto, many get togethers before flying off to Paris for a family Christmas.
25 Photos
Created 23 January 2014
Day of the Dead festival, a friend visiting from Australia, Anne participating in her first martial arts tournament,...As usual a lot of eating and socialising!
40 Photos
Created 2 December 2013
68 Photos
Created 6 November 2013
Having visitors means putting on our tour guide hat "Voahangy & Co in Mexico", much exploring and eating: ruins, cenotes, beaches, villages, markets,... . I shared Mexican cooking lessons and was repaid with Dutch baking classes from our French guest. We ate a lot of cakes this month! So much sugar, no candies needed for Halloween this year, just parties...
74 Photos
Created 1 November 2013
This is the slowest month of the year in Mexico: hurricane threats, hot and humid weather, torrential rains drive the tourists away and confine the rest of us indoors. It poured for 22 days non stop! We still managed a dive (in the rain) for Father's Day, a day of all you can eat and drink at the local resort for Terry's birthday, and as usual lots of cooking and eating. Just on cue, the weather cleared at the end of the month for the arrival of Marie Suzanne, a French girlfriend. So lots of touring and catching up. Celebrated Mexican Independence Day all month long (it seems), eating black beans and pork verde!
47 Photos
Created 10 October 2013
No excursions this month. Just hanging around Puerto Aventuras, school, friends, ...Sat thru a couple of storms, torrential rains, big winds...Nowhere to go so more time spent in the galley and writing about it!!!
33 Photos
Created 12 September 2013
Holiday month for everyone: visitors from the USA, kids in and out, parties, US National Day celebration, French National Day celebration, Tulum for a night (bliss...) The start of a new food blog meant a month spent in the galley experimenting. Not much in terms of local food, mostly home cooked French. Chocolate cake anyone?
41 Photos
Created 24 August 2013
Holiday Seasons with old and new friends, provisioning and preparing to leave the USA...
54 Photos
Created 16 July 2013
End of school year performances, lots of baking/cooking for school festivities, Marc hospitalised, first tropical storms testing our nerves, road trip to Belize... Eat ceviche, my latest food addiction!!!
15 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 July 2013
Lots on! An interesting road trip to the Chiapas region, wonderful ruins of Palenque, green and lush Tabasco, Anne's birthday, Cozumel by boat, Kids sports graduation...Eat chilaquiles, breakfast with a difference.
26 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 2 July 2013
Settling down and mixing with the locals: kids are off to school, birthday parties, more of Tulum, unexpected reunion with fellow cruisers. Eat: black bean soup!
30 Photos
Created 2 July 2013
Not much tourism this month. We finally made the decision to stay for the rest of the year. So it's head down with school, get together with cruising friends ( they're passing thru while we stay behind) and switching to "landlubber's" mode. Resolved to eat at home more often, back to healthier diet.
19 Photos
Created 13 June 2013
Exploring the Yucatan peninsula by car, to Uxmal ruins and Merida. More of Tulum. Marc's Birthday. Try Flyboarding. Join in the local community of Puerto Aventuras. Xel-Ha. Discover Playa del Carmen. Eat nachos.
27 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 13 June 2013
Landfall in Isla Mujeres, find our way around our new home in Puerto Aventuras, excursion to Coba ruins, discover Tulum, swim with dolphins, eat tacos...
31 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 13 June 2013
Our last few weeks (even months) have been spent in Puerto Aventuras, Mexico. Not much cruising for us, more like enjoying company of new friends, safety of a protected harbor, and relaxing for a while, knowing we don't have to go anywhere for a while...
25 Photos
Created 2 April 2013
2 weeks in an island where time has stood still for 50 years! Road trip La havana - Vinales- Cienfuegos - Trinidad - La Havana. Cruise down the west coast, beautiful beaches, good fishing, diving,... Warm waters at last!!!!
3 Sub-Albums
Created 5 February 2013
To be enjoyed while reading the post!
43 Photos
Created 31 December 2012
Exploring Charleston and Savannah
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 27 December 2012
2 weeks shore leave, driving to Shenandoah National Park: lots of hiking, eating "country style" food, looking for bears, avoiding bears...Long drive across to Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, to visit the Wrights brothers memorial and Cape Hatteras.
28 Photos
Created 25 December 2012
Caught up with friends, left the boat on display at the 2012 Boat Show, toured historic downtown and US Naval Academy, watched a football game...welcome to the US sailing capital!
51 Photos
Created 25 December 2012
Unforgetable summer cruising around Block island, Nantucket, and Martha's Vineyard.
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 16 December 2012
46 Photos
Created 17 October 2012
A leisurely cruise from New York to Newport. Quite anchorages, fresh ocean breeze, ...a million miles away from Big City living!
37 Photos
Created 5 September 2012
July and September in the Big Apple. Cruise, Eat, Shop, Walk,...Look at some of our best memories (work in progress, I am still sorting thru thousands fo photos!)
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 3 September 2012
Museums, memorials, parks, bike trails...the most photogenic city.
85 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
First voyage in July, on our way to Washington DC. Passing thru quaint and historical towns, sampling crabs and oysters in hot summer nights... Returned in September, enjoying all Annapolis has to offer (well, nearly), and the spectacle of autumn foliage.
20 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
Where there are some seriously clever people!
22 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
29 Photos
Created 20 July 2012
Shore leave: Make believe, dreams come true, thrills, fast food...Anything goes here!!!
42 Photos
Created 20 July 2012
Welcome to America! Our port of entry, last moments with friends, base for a mini-refit, and our first taste of the USA...
18 Photos
Created 30 June 2012
59 Photos
Created 31 May 2012
17 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
33 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
52 Photos
Created 25 April 2012
19 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
30 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
28 Photos
Created 30 March 2012
28 Photos
Created 5 March 2012
40 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
36 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
25 Photos
Created 28 January 2012
49 Photos
Created 8 January 2012
37 Photos
Created 4 January 2012
40 Photos
Created 28 December 2011
What happens during a transat?
40 Photos
Created 14 December 2011
44 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
22 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
40 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
13 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
18 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
30 Photos
Created 17 November 2011
21 Photos
Created 30 October 2011
18 Photos
Created 22 October 2011
24 Photos
Created 1 October 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 September 2011