Steen Rally

Follow us on our sailing adventure from France to Australia

30 December 2015 | Sydney
29 July 2015 | Sydney
15 January 2015 | Sydney
22 December 2014 | Sydney
21 November 2014 | Cairns, Australia
02 November 2014 | Cairns, Australia
21 October 2014 | Port Vila, Vanuatu
01 October 2014 | Fiji
20 September 2014 | Fiji
08 September 2014 | Fiji
24 July 2014 | Neiafu, Tonga
06 July 2014 | Tahaa. French Polynesia
23 June 2014 | Moorea
23 June 2014 | Moorea
15 June 2014 | Papeete, Tahiti
14 May 2014 | Marquesas, French Polynesia

Shore leave: Orlando!

12 July 2012 | St Michaels
Voahangy
Orlando, May 20 – 29, 2012

Between Marc’s “Yeah!” Anne’s “Woohoo!”, my “ Arghhhhh!”, and Terry’s “Hummmm…” We’ve all done our fair share of screaming this past week. Welcome to Orlando, world capital of fun parks!
A long awaited holidays for the kids, it’s been a long dreaded trip for Terry . Since I am hoping one of the kids writes up something about it, I’ll focus more on Terry’s and my impressions.

First Terry’s, whose best advice is: if there is someone you really don’t like, send them to Disney World! This in no means refer to the attractions, but simply to the crowds. We thought we would be clever by going to Orlando outside of the summer holidays, without realising that May 28 is Memorial Day, and that long week end means the start of the summer season, it felt like the whole of Florida was here! Not only was it crowded, but what amazed us was the number of people in wheel chairs roaming around. I’m probably politically incorrect in making a fuss about it, but we honestly have never seen so many people with reduced mobility in one place. Some are evidently disabled (paraplegics, broken legs, …), but a lot are “of unusual body dimensions” (not my words, Disney’s!) which prevent them from walking any distance. Considering the vastness of the parks, one can understand how hiring a scooter would be an attractive option, and believe me there are hundreds of them (which had us wondering if the USA indeed has so many more disabled people than Australia or France, or is it simply that they are better catered for?) Add to it, 35 degree heat, young families pushing strollers, some even carrying newborn babies, groups of school kids on end of year excursions, crying toddlers (“I want to see Minnie, NOW!”), cranky parents (“No, you can’t have Buzz , Mickey AND Simba!”), 50 minutes queues, and I can assure you, this is definitely NOT the Happiest Place on Earth.

So , you may ask, if it was so horrible, why did we go? A 4-time Disney veteran, Terry agreed that since we are in Florida and off the boat, it would be nice to check the parks one last time. Our previous trip here was 18 years ago when Shelley and Tania were teenagers, and a lot has changed since. Also with Marc and Anne now old enough to travel light, go on all the rides, and move around as fast as us, we figured we would be able to make the most of the attractions. We stayed in Orlando for 8 days, and chose to visit Walt Disney World (WDW) and Universal Studios. There are numerous other parks to see (Seaworld, Wet N’ Wild, …) but our budget would not stretch that far, besides what was the point of going to see more dolphins? As it was, we had a full week: 6 days in WDW, 2 days at Universal, enjoying a different park each day. Here is a rundown of each of them.

Epcot (WDW): I’m a sucker for educational theme parks, and this is my favourite, with Future World focusing on science and technology, and the World Showcase allowing you to experience the culture of 11 countries ( as seen by the Americans, admittedly, but still entertaining). Only two thrill rides, “Mission Space” and “Soaring”, but lots of movies, ride through, and interactive entertainment. And the best part was the very small crowd, maybe because it was early in the week.

Magic Kingdom (WDW): if you’re into the Disney nostalgia, this is for you. Cinderella’s castle, Main Street USA, Dumbo, Mickey, parades, …it’s all there. Victim of its own success, the park was packed, a large section of it (Fantasyland) was closed for renovations, so was Big thunder mountain ride. A lot of the rides are geared to the young, “boring!” declared Marc after being dragged to the Peter Pan ‘s flight and It’s a Small World cruise. They preferred thrill rides like Splash Mountain, Space Mountain and the Haunted Mansion , and didn’t mind queuing several times for these! Terry and I, on the other hand, had enough by the end of the day, and could not face the wait for the 11pm fireworks.

Hollywood Studios (WDW): Another crowded park, blending movie nostalgia with great rides. Between Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, Extreme Car Stunt Show, the Tower of Terror thrill ride, Rock and Roller Coaster, and a few other milder attractions, this would have to be the smallest Disney park, so we could walk from one end to another quite easily.

Animal Kingdom (WDW): I wasn’t sure about that park. Having visited a reserve in Senegal, why going on a Disney safari? And we’ve been to enough zoos and museums, what more is there to learn about monkeys and dinosaurs? There is also something weird about walking thru a reconstructed version of a Nepalese village, tattered flags and dirty dishes included! But throw a bit of Pixie dust and Disney magic worked again: their thrill rides are first class ( we all screamed our lungs out in Expedition Everest), so is the re-creation of the animals habitats ( and the animals are REAL, not make believe) and the Festival of the Lion King musical has to be the best show! Unfortunately, the crowds are huge (the paths are quite narrow, so you really feel like you’re in a crowded Asian street, well done Disney architects!) , that’s the downside.

Universal Island of Adventures: Nothing educational here, no fairy tale either. It’s all about pop culture and movies, any excuses for a thrill ride! From Marvel Super Hero island, to Jurassic Park, Seuss landing and the new Harry Potter world, some of the attractions are even better than Disney. The rides certainly are more thrilling, which means that the queues are even longer. Whether it’s worth waiting up to 1h each time is up for debate, we managed to go on 8 rides (out of 21) but only once. Came the end of the afternoon, we all had had enough, and decided to go to the movies and watch THE AVENGERS. No queues there!

Universal Studios: Set up like a movie studio, this has to be the best park. The rides are fantastic, “the best” declared the kids. Marc’s favourite was the X-factor show, while Anne enjoyed the Simpson ride. The most pleasant surprise was…no crowds (don’t know why), which was great as it allowed to ride 2 or 3 times!. The only reason why we left is because we had tickets to watch the Blue Man Group nearby: that was a hilarious production, with 3 men wearing black clothes and whole faces are painted bright blue. A mix of comedy, art, loud music,…it’s definitely an unusual act, which we all enjoyed immensely.

Typhoon’s Lagoon & Blizzard’s beach (WDW): Both Disney’s waterparks, which
we saved for last. We thought they would be a respite from the other parks, how wrong we were! It was just as crowded as anywhere else, and offered nothing else but swimming, sliding and splashing around. We ended up spending only half a day to one, even less to the other one when the weather turned stormy and everyone was told to evacuate the pools!

So, Disney vs. Universal, what’s the verdict? Universal for the rides and more teenage (and adult) fun, WDW for the inner child in you and definitely happier staff (or maybe that’s part of the job description?) Either way, there’s plenty of entertainment for everyone, just be prepared to share the good times with thousands of others!!

Orlando, 20-29 Mai, 2012

Entre Marc et ses « Ouais !!! », Anne et ses « Youpi !! », mes « Arghhhh !! » et Terry et ses « Bof ! », on à tous pas mal crie cette semaine. Bienvenus à Orlando, capitale mondiale des parcs d’attractions !
Attendues par les enfants depuis longtemps, redoute par Terry, ces vacances ont laissé des impressions différentes en chacun de nous. Espérant que les gamins vont rédiger quelque chose sur le sujet, je vais me concentrer ici sur nos réactions à Terry et moi.

Commençons par Terry qui a le conseil suivant à donner : si vous voulez vraiment être moche avec quelqu’un, envoyer le/la Disney World !!! Ça n’a rien à voir avec les attractions, mais la foule tout simplement. On pensait être malins en nous rendant à Orlando hors des vacances d’été, mais c’était sans se rendre compte que le 28 mai était « Mémorial Day » (jour commémoratif honorant les soldats US) et ce long weekend end signale le début de la haute saison. On aurait dit que toute la Floride s’y était donne rendez-vous ! Non seulement l’endroit était bonde, mais ce qui nous a étonné était le nombre de gens qui se déplaçaient en chaises roulantes. C’est sans doute politiquement incorrect de ma part de le mentionner, mais honnêtement, on n’a jamais vu autant de personnes a mobilité réduite en un seul endroit. Certains sont évidemment handicapes (paraplégiques, jambes cassées, …), mais beaucoup sont de « dimensions hors du commun » (ce ne sont pas mes propos, c’est Disney eux-mêmes qui les décrivent comme ça !), ce qui les empêche de parcourir de longues distances à pied. Vu l’immensité des parcs, on comprend que certains préfèrent louer des scooters, et croyez-moi, il y en a des centaines (d’où la question qu’on se pose : y a-t-il vraiment plus d’handicapes aux Etats-Unis qu’en Australie ou en France ? Ou sont-ils simplement mieux pourvus ?) Ajoutez a tout cela, une canicule de 35 degrés, des jeunes familles équipées de poussettes, certains portant même des nourrissons, des groupes scolaires en excursions de fin d’année, des tous petits en larmes (« je veux Minnie, maintenant ! »), des parents grognons ( « Non, tu ne peux pas acheter Buzz, Mickey ET Simba ! »), des files d’attentes de 50 minutes, et je vous assure que ce n’est pas l’endroit le plus heureux de la planète !!!

Bon, vous devez vous demander pourquoi y aller, si c’est tellement horrible. Eh bien, même Terry qui est allé à Disney 4 fois, était d’accord pour y aller une dernière fois, vu que nous étions en Floride de toutes façons et on devait quitter le bateau pour quelques jours. Notre dernière visite date de 1994, quand Shelley et Tania étaient adolescentes, et il y a eu pas mal de changements depuis. Et puis, comme Marc et Anne sont assez grands maintenant pour voyager « léger », faire tous les manèges, et marcher au même rythme que nous toute la journée, on s’est dit pourquoi ne pas en profiter. Nous sommes restes à Orlando 8 jours, notre choix s’est porte sur Walt Disney World (WDW) et Universal Studios. Il y a d’autres parcs aux alentours (Seaworld, Wet N Wild) mais notre budget n’était pas illimite et franchement, pourquoi aller voir des dauphins en captivité ? Avec notre programme tel qu’il l’était, nous n’avons pas vu la semaine passer : 6 jours à WDW et 2 jours à Universal Studios, un parc par jour. Voilà le topo sur chacun.

EPCOT (WDW) : je raffole des parcs à vocation pédagogique, et celui-là est mon préféré, avec Future World qui se concentre sur la science et la technologie, et World Showcase qui vous plonge dans la culture de 11 pays (vu par les américains, c’est vrai, mais c’est très bien fait !). Il n’y a que deux attractions a sensation fortes, « Mission Space « et « Soaring », le reste consiste de films, expositions et expériences interactives. Fait très agréable, il n’y avait pas beaucoup de monde, peut-être parce que nous y étions en début de semaine.

Magic Kingdom (WDW) : Pour les amateurs de nostalgie Disney, le château de Cendrillon, Main Street USA, Dumbo, Mickey, les défilés,…tout y est. Et victime de son succès, le parc était bonde et une grande partie était fermée pour travaux (Fantasyland ainsi que Big Thunder Mountain). Beaucoup de manèges sont conçus pour les jeunes enfants, « boring ! » dixit Marc après nous avoir suivi pour le vol de Peter Pan et la croisière de « It’s a Small World ». Avec Anne, il a préféré les sensations plus fortes engendrées par Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, et le Manoir Hante, et la personne n’a refusé de faire la queue plusieurs fois ! Terry et moi, par contre, en avons eu assez à la fin, et avons décidé de rentrer avant les feux d’artifices de 23h.

Hollywood Studios (WDW) : Un autre parc plein à craquer, qui mélange la nostalgie des films classiques et des manèges vertigineux : entre les cascades d’ Indiana Jones, des voitures, l’ascenseur de Tower of Terror, les montagnes russes Rock & Roll, et d’autres attractions plus sages, le parc est le plus petit de tous, ce qui facilite les déplacements.

Animal Kingdom (WDW) : je ne savais pas trop quoi penser de ce parc. Quand on a visité une réserve au Sénégal, pourquoi aller faire un safari a Disney ? Et après avoir vu autant de zoos et de musées, qu’y a-t-il de plus à apprendre sur les singes et les dinosaures ? Sans compter que ça fait très bizarre de se promener dans une reproduction d’un village népalais, y compris les drapeaux effiloches et la vaisselle sale !! Mais, grâce à un peu de poudre aux yeux et un bon coup de baguette magique, le miracle Disney s’est reproduit : les montagnes russes sont excellentes (on a tous hurles dans Expédition Everest), ainsi que la re-creation des habitats des animaux (qui sont REELS, et non pas des modèles), et le spectacle du Lion King est un des meilleurs qu’on ait vu. Malheureusement, la foule y est très dense (d’autant plus que les architectes Disney, ont décidé de créer des allées bien trop étroites, sans doute pour donner l’impression d’être vraiment en Asie, dans une rue qui grouille de monde !!)

Universal Island of Adventures : Oubliez les programmes éducatifs et les contes de fées, ici. Tout tourne autour de la pop culture et des films d’action, n’importe quel prétexte pour des montagnes russes ! De Marvel Super Hero, a Jurassic Park, Seuss Landing et le récent Harry Potter World, certaines attractions sont même meilleures qu’a Disney. Les sensations y sont certainement plus fortes, ce qui veut aussi dire que les files d’attentes sont encore plus longues. Je ne sais pas si ça valait vraiment le coup d’attendre une heure à chaque fois, on a réussi à faire 8 attractions (sur 21 !) et qu’une seule fois. Frustres en fin d’après-midi, on a tous décidé d’aller au cinéma et d’aller voir « the Avengers » : salle climatisée à nous tous seuls !

Universal Studios : Conçu comme un studio de cinéma à l’ancienne, c’est sans nulle doute le meilleur parc. Les attractions sont fantastiques, « the best » ont déclaré les enfants. Marc a adore le spectacle X-factor, alors qu’Anne a préféré les montagnes russes Simpson. La surprise la plus agréable fut…une foule inexistante (on ne sait pas pourquoi), ce qui nous a permis de profiter des attractions 2 ou 3 fois ! En fait, la seule raison pour laquelle nous avons quitté le parc, c’est que nous avions réservé des places pour le spectacle du Blue Man groupe, juste à cote : consistant de 3 hommes vêtus de noir, leurs visages complètement peints en bleu, c’était une production hilarante. Un mélange de comédie, d’art, de musique, et un public participatif…ce fut un show extraordinaire, que nous avons tous beaucoup aime.

Typhoon’s Lagoon & Blizzard ‘s beach (WDW) : Tous deux parcs aquatiques faisant partie de Disney, nous les avons réservé pour la fin. On pensait s’octroyer un répit après les autres parcs, mais on a eu tout faux ! Il y avait autant de monde, et rien d’autre à faire que glisser sur les toboggans et patauger dans des bouées (impossible de nager !). On a fini par ne passer qu’une demi-journée dans l’un, et encore moins dans l’autre car les maitre nageurs ont évacué tout le monde au premier signe d’orage !

Pour conclure, Disney contre Universal, quel verdict ? Universal pour les attractions et des divertissement conçus plus pour les ados et adultes. WDW pour retomber en enfance, et y trouver des employés beaucoup plus souriants (ou ça fait partie de leur travail ?). Dans tous les cas, il y en a pour tous les gouts, et soyez prêts a partager ces bons moments avec des milliers d’autres personnes !!
Comments
Vessel Name: VOAHANGY
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 560
Hailing Port: Sydney
Crew: Terry, Voahangy, Marc, Anne Steen
About:
Terry, 71, skipper, ex-pilot, surfer, aerobatics champion, can fix anything, never sea sick, loves a beer, hates the cold, is happiest anchored off a deserted beach. [...]
VOAHANGY's Photos - Main
84 Photos
Created 20 November 2014
2 glorious months, cruising various parts of Fiji. So many different experiences in one country: lush rainforests, colourful indian towns, blue lagoons, traditional villages, great fishing, fancy resorts... And the best part was sharing the cruising with family and friends. Can't beat Fiji with company! Here is a collection of our favourite moments (and there are a few!!!)
1 Photo | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 12 October 2014
Some of the whales actions we witnessed in Tonga, to read with the Whales action post by Anne!
7 Photos
Created 1 October 2014
Whale watching, snorkelling, bonfires, making new friends...One of the most remote and austere destination, far away from big tourism, with friendly people holding on to their traditions. Weather a bit chilly, but who cares???
46 Photos
Created 10 September 2014
49 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
15 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
9 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
38 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
20 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
72 Photos
Created 28 June 2014
55 Photos
Created 23 June 2014
27 Photos
Created 15 May 2014
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2014
40 Photos
Created 30 March 2014
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 15 March 2014
The time finally came to leave...a month of celebrations and sadness!
30 Photos
Created 5 March 2014
Another holiday within the holiday! Spent 13 fantastic days in Whistler, British Columbia joined by Aussie friends David and Denise. First time on skis for them, perfecting camps for Marc and Anne, loads of fun for everyone.
70 Photos
Created 8 February 2014
Nothing like having family and friends coming for a visit in the sun. Lots of eating, drinking, swimming, laughing...showing everyone our small paradise.
99 Photos
Created 30 January 2014
End of school year in Puerto, many get togethers before flying off to Paris for a family Christmas.
25 Photos
Created 23 January 2014
Day of the Dead festival, a friend visiting from Australia, Anne participating in her first martial arts tournament,...As usual a lot of eating and socialising!
40 Photos
Created 2 December 2013
68 Photos
Created 6 November 2013
Having visitors means putting on our tour guide hat "Voahangy & Co in Mexico", much exploring and eating: ruins, cenotes, beaches, villages, markets,... . I shared Mexican cooking lessons and was repaid with Dutch baking classes from our French guest. We ate a lot of cakes this month! So much sugar, no candies needed for Halloween this year, just parties...
74 Photos
Created 1 November 2013
This is the slowest month of the year in Mexico: hurricane threats, hot and humid weather, torrential rains drive the tourists away and confine the rest of us indoors. It poured for 22 days non stop! We still managed a dive (in the rain) for Father's Day, a day of all you can eat and drink at the local resort for Terry's birthday, and as usual lots of cooking and eating. Just on cue, the weather cleared at the end of the month for the arrival of Marie Suzanne, a French girlfriend. So lots of touring and catching up. Celebrated Mexican Independence Day all month long (it seems), eating black beans and pork verde!
47 Photos
Created 10 October 2013
No excursions this month. Just hanging around Puerto Aventuras, school, friends, ...Sat thru a couple of storms, torrential rains, big winds...Nowhere to go so more time spent in the galley and writing about it!!!
33 Photos
Created 12 September 2013
Holiday month for everyone: visitors from the USA, kids in and out, parties, US National Day celebration, French National Day celebration, Tulum for a night (bliss...) The start of a new food blog meant a month spent in the galley experimenting. Not much in terms of local food, mostly home cooked French. Chocolate cake anyone?
41 Photos
Created 24 August 2013
Holiday Seasons with old and new friends, provisioning and preparing to leave the USA...
54 Photos
Created 16 July 2013
End of school year performances, lots of baking/cooking for school festivities, Marc hospitalised, first tropical storms testing our nerves, road trip to Belize... Eat ceviche, my latest food addiction!!!
15 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 July 2013
Lots on! An interesting road trip to the Chiapas region, wonderful ruins of Palenque, green and lush Tabasco, Anne's birthday, Cozumel by boat, Kids sports graduation...Eat chilaquiles, breakfast with a difference.
26 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 2 July 2013
Settling down and mixing with the locals: kids are off to school, birthday parties, more of Tulum, unexpected reunion with fellow cruisers. Eat: black bean soup!
30 Photos
Created 2 July 2013
Not much tourism this month. We finally made the decision to stay for the rest of the year. So it's head down with school, get together with cruising friends ( they're passing thru while we stay behind) and switching to "landlubber's" mode. Resolved to eat at home more often, back to healthier diet.
19 Photos
Created 13 June 2013
Exploring the Yucatan peninsula by car, to Uxmal ruins and Merida. More of Tulum. Marc's Birthday. Try Flyboarding. Join in the local community of Puerto Aventuras. Xel-Ha. Discover Playa del Carmen. Eat nachos.
27 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 13 June 2013
Landfall in Isla Mujeres, find our way around our new home in Puerto Aventuras, excursion to Coba ruins, discover Tulum, swim with dolphins, eat tacos...
31 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 13 June 2013
Our last few weeks (even months) have been spent in Puerto Aventuras, Mexico. Not much cruising for us, more like enjoying company of new friends, safety of a protected harbor, and relaxing for a while, knowing we don't have to go anywhere for a while...
25 Photos
Created 2 April 2013
2 weeks in an island where time has stood still for 50 years! Road trip La havana - Vinales- Cienfuegos - Trinidad - La Havana. Cruise down the west coast, beautiful beaches, good fishing, diving,... Warm waters at last!!!!
3 Sub-Albums
Created 5 February 2013
To be enjoyed while reading the post!
43 Photos
Created 31 December 2012
Exploring Charleston and Savannah
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 27 December 2012
2 weeks shore leave, driving to Shenandoah National Park: lots of hiking, eating "country style" food, looking for bears, avoiding bears...Long drive across to Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, to visit the Wrights brothers memorial and Cape Hatteras.
28 Photos
Created 25 December 2012
Caught up with friends, left the boat on display at the 2012 Boat Show, toured historic downtown and US Naval Academy, watched a football game...welcome to the US sailing capital!
51 Photos
Created 25 December 2012
Unforgetable summer cruising around Block island, Nantucket, and Martha's Vineyard.
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 16 December 2012
46 Photos
Created 17 October 2012
A leisurely cruise from New York to Newport. Quite anchorages, fresh ocean breeze, ...a million miles away from Big City living!
37 Photos
Created 5 September 2012
July and September in the Big Apple. Cruise, Eat, Shop, Walk,...Look at some of our best memories (work in progress, I am still sorting thru thousands fo photos!)
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 3 September 2012
Museums, memorials, parks, bike trails...the most photogenic city.
85 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
First voyage in July, on our way to Washington DC. Passing thru quaint and historical towns, sampling crabs and oysters in hot summer nights... Returned in September, enjoying all Annapolis has to offer (well, nearly), and the spectacle of autumn foliage.
20 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
Where there are some seriously clever people!
22 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
29 Photos
Created 20 July 2012
Shore leave: Make believe, dreams come true, thrills, fast food...Anything goes here!!!
42 Photos
Created 20 July 2012
Welcome to America! Our port of entry, last moments with friends, base for a mini-refit, and our first taste of the USA...
18 Photos
Created 30 June 2012
59 Photos
Created 31 May 2012
17 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
33 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
52 Photos
Created 25 April 2012
19 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
30 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
28 Photos
Created 30 March 2012
28 Photos
Created 5 March 2012
40 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
36 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
25 Photos
Created 28 January 2012
49 Photos
Created 8 January 2012
37 Photos
Created 4 January 2012
40 Photos
Created 28 December 2011
What happens during a transat?
40 Photos
Created 14 December 2011
44 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
22 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
40 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
13 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
18 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
30 Photos
Created 17 November 2011
21 Photos
Created 30 October 2011
18 Photos
Created 22 October 2011
24 Photos
Created 1 October 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 September 2011