Steen Rally

Follow us on our sailing adventure from France to Australia

30 December 2015 | Sydney
29 July 2015 | Sydney
15 January 2015 | Sydney
22 December 2014 | Sydney
21 November 2014 | Cairns, Australia
02 November 2014 | Cairns, Australia
21 October 2014 | Port Vila, Vanuatu
01 October 2014 | Fiji
20 September 2014 | Fiji
08 September 2014 | Fiji
24 July 2014 | Neiafu, Tonga
06 July 2014 | Tahaa. French Polynesia
23 June 2014 | Moorea
23 June 2014 | Moorea
15 June 2014 | Papeete, Tahiti
14 May 2014 | Marquesas, French Polynesia

Annapolis Go Navy!

24 April 2013 | Puerto Aventuras, Mexico
Voahangy
Annapolis, Sept 20- Oct 20, 2012

Having decided to spend our last week end touring Annapolis proper (as opposed to fit in a visit between meetings, packing, or boat errands…), we left Zia’s dock in Edgewater and sailed back to Annapolis harbor, to be closer to town. We anchored right by the sea wall, only a 5mn ride to the dinghy dock where we could walk from City Dock along Main Street to the Historic District.

Annapolis is a fascinating place to visit. Founded over 300 years ago, this small town is not only Maryland’s capital but also the self-proclaimed sailing capital of America. Small wonder. I already mentioned the Annual Boat Show in October. Between its various yacht clubs and sailing associations, scores of marine businesses and boatyards, and Wednesday Nights Sailboat Races, you merely need to walk down to the harbor on the Chesapeake Bay and realise that everything here is about boats. This sailing mecca is also the home of the United States Naval Academy (USNA), and while I personally enjoyed walking around the city’s historic streets with their superb art galleries, trendy boutiques and gourmet eateries, the highlight of our stay must have been visiting the campus (known as the “Yard”) and attending a football game.

Opened in 1845, with an original contingent of 55, the USNA is the undergraduate college of the Naval Service and trains 4,400 students, known as midshipmen, for 4 years to become professional officers in the US Navy. Selection is fierce: it involves top high-school grades, an official nomination (i.e. a reference) and an appointment. The statistics for the class of 2016 shows 20,601 applicants for a final enrolment of 1,211 (less than third are women). We had a terrific tour of the facilities. First you must walk thru security, showing your passport. Then, make sure you do not step anywhere else but on the designated footpaths (no grass or jaywalking here!) Once you know the rules, the site is yours to explore: it is huge, like a city within the city (in fact it has its own ZIP code). The buildings architecture is marvellous, and we only visited a few: the chapel, the sports hall, the museum where we spent hours viewing everything there is to know about the US Navy (from memorabilia, to exhibits and gallery of ships). We walked past Bancroft Hall, which houses the entire brigade of Midshipmen. It contains nearly 1,900 rooms, five miles of corridors and 33 acres of floor space, making it one of the largest single dormitories in the world. Can you imagine how hard it would be to clean? Just as well they train their recruits to keep their rooms in perfect order!!! Hundreds of midshipmen in uniform happened to be gathered in front of the Hall when we walked past, with civilians like us taking pictures. I thought they were relatives at first, but I’ve since found out that there are dedicated weekends for family visits. I suspect they must have been alumni then, as we saw some class reunions advertised for the weekend.

It was indeed a big weekend for the town, as the USNA football team was playing a home game against Indiana University. Not just any home game either, it was Homecoming weekend. Homecoming is an annual tradition in the US, where people, towns, high schools and colleges welcome back alumni and former residents. It’s generally built around a central event, in the present case a home football game. I’m not a football fan, no matter what code it is (soccer, aussie rules, rugby, American football…), but I must admit I was swept in by the enthusiasm of the thousands of fans who swamped this small town, barely days after thousands of yachties had departed after the show. There is so much tradition and regalia involved, it is unlike any other sporting event we’ve seen. Ever. We completed our tour of the Academy with a visit at the Visitors Center Gift Shop for official Navy gear, to make sure we’d wear the right colours at next day’s game: Navy blue and gold.

All geared up with Navy sweatshirts, socks and scarves, we set out on this beautiful Saturday, ready to cheer the home team at the Navy-Marine Corps memorial Stadium. The game was not due to start until 3.30pm but we arrived early around 12.45pm thinking there was going to be a pre-game like in Australia. Well, in America, they do things differently.

Game Day does start early indeed, with fans arriving in cars loaded with food and drinks, settling in the stadium giant car park, and have picnics right out of their trunks. This is called tailgating, a widely practised weekend activity which allows the fans to enjoy food, sport and socializing simultaneously. In fact it is so popular, that none of the food stalls around the stadium opened until 2.30pm; presumably to allow everyone to enjoy their pregame tailgate. All we could do was walk around and watch all these people enjoying their school reunions (Homecoming, remember!), eating and drinking under big tents for some on the grass for others, not unlike Spring Carnival in Melbourne. It goes without saying that all were private parties and the one public restaurant was booked out. It didn’t take long for the rest of the festivities to kick in. Starting with the Navy Football team walk, when the players made their way from the bus up the drive to the stadium, preceded by some traditional Scottish band and followed by the cheerleading squad. We followed the fans who were lining the sidewalk and cheered along (even though we had no idea who the players were!) Then at 3.09pm (everything runs with military precision here) the entire Brigade of Midshipmen (and women) marched from the grounds of the Academy to midfield of the Stadium to salute its school, its team and its country in general. That’s 4,400 sharply clad young men and women walking in formation for 2 miles, through the streets of Annapolis and filling up the entire football field! The national anthem was sung by the Naval Academy glee club (no kidding!), immediately followed by fighter jets flying- by overhead to welcome the start of the game. Like I said, even a non-football fan like me was impressed, and that was only the pregame show!

Now, for the game itself. First, let me tell you that we didn’t know the rules; we just came for the fun. Luckily for us, we were educated by two guys sitting next to us who overheard our comments (“what happened there?” “Not sure, maybe they scored…”) and were only too happy to compare US and Aussie rules. I’ll spare you the details, as Anne said in the end: all we know is that each side has 4 tries to cover 10 yards; they steal the ball and get a touchdown! There is a lot of stopping and starting, so it’s kind of a slow game (compared to say, rugby league!) Still, it’s fun to watch if only for the tradition and pageantry: the canon sounds at the official start of the game and again only when Navy scores. And when the Mids put points on the board, a sea of uniforms races to the north end zone to do push ups that match their team‘s point total on the scoreboard ( so they start with 3, and by the end of the game it was over 30!). We happened to sit next to the area where the young recruits stood and cheered, so there was a lot of ambiance. It really wasn’t hard to join in the spirit especially when Navy scored their final goal at the last minute and won by 1 point!!!!GOOOOOO NAVY!!!!

The locals reckoned it was a good game. We wouldn’t know, but as we sat down for dinner at the Pub on City Dock, surrounded by dozens of supporters, we all agreed it had been a fantastic day!


Annapolis - 20 Septembre au 20 Octobre, 2012

Apres avoir décidé de passer notre dernier week-end à Annapolis même (au lieu d’y caser une visite entre deux rendez-vous, faire les cartons ou des courses pour le bateau…), nous avons quitté le ponton de Zia a Edgewater pour de bon cette fois, et somme remontes dans la baie d’Annapolis pour être plus près de la ville. Le mouillage que nous avons trouvé était parfait, juste en face de la digue, a 5mn du quai des annexes, d’où l’on pouvait marcher de City Dock a Main Street dans le quartier historique.

Annapolis est un endroit fascinant. Fondée il y a plus de 300 ans, cette petite ville est non seulement la capitale du Maryland mais s’est également proclamée la capitale nautique des Etats-Unis. Rien d’étonnant a cela. J’ai déjà mentionné le Salon nautique annuel en Octobre. Entre les yacht-clubs et associations de voiles diverses, la multitude de chantiers et de ship chandlers, et les Régates du Mercredi, il suffit de descendre vers la baie de Chesapeake pour se rendre compte qu’ici tout tourne autour des bateaux. Cette Mecque du nautisme est aussi le domicile de la United States Naval Academy (USNA), et bien que j’ai adore me balader dans les rues historiques de la ville, avec leurs superbes galeries d’art, boutiques chics et petits restaus sympas, le point fort de notre visite a été la découverte du campus (ici appelé le « Yard ») et assister à un match de football américain.

Inaugurée en 1845, avec un contingent de 55 élèves/recrues, l’USNA est l’université pour la Marine Nationale américaine et forme 4 400 étudiants surnommes « midshipmen », qui au bout de 4 ans seront appelés a servir comme officiers dans l’US Navy. La sélection est rude : il faut avoir des très bonnes notes au lycée, être nomine par un sponsor, et subir un entretien. Les statistiques pour la promotion 2016 montrent que sur 20 601 candidats, 1 211 ont été retenus (dont moins d’un tiers sont des femmes). La visite du site nous a beaucoup plu. Quoique, on ne rentre pas comme ça : il a d’abord fallu passer par la case sécurité et montrer nos passeports. Puis on a du faire attention à ne pas marcher n’importe où et s’en tenir aux trottoirs désignés (hors de question de marcher sur la pelouse ou de traverser les rues hors des passages piétons !). Une fois les règles bien établies, on a quand même été libres de circuler comme on voulait : le site est immense, c’est comme une ville dans une ville (d’ailleurs l’académie a son propre code postal). L’architecture des bâtiments est magnifiques, et nous en avons visité quelques-uns : la chapelle, la halle de sport et le musée ou nous avons passé des heures à découvrir tout ce qu’il faut savoir sur la US Navy (des souvenirs, aux expos, en passant par des maquettes…) Nous sommes passés devant Bancroft Hall, là ou réside toute la brigade des Midshipmen. A l’intérieur s’y trouvent 1 900 chambres, 5 miles de couloirs et 33 acres de superficie, ce qui en fait un des plus larges dortoirs dans le monde. Vous imaginez comment garder tout ça en bon état ? Heureusement que les recrues savent ranger leur chambre ! Il y avait des centaines de midshipmen en uniformes devant le bâtiment quand nous y sommes passés, avec pleins de civils comme nous prenant des photos. J’ai pensé au début que c’était des familles, mais non, il y a des week-ends spéciaux pour les visites familiales. Je crois que c’était plutôt des anciens élèves, car on a vu des posters un peu partout annonçant des réunions d’anciens ce week-end.

En fait c’était un week-end spécial pour la ville, car l’équipe de football de l’USNA jouait un match à domicile contre l’Université d’Indiana. Et pas n’importe quel match à domicile non plus, c’était le week-end du Homecoming. « Homecoming » est une tradition annuelle bien américaine, ou les villes, collèges et universités accueillent leurs anciens élèves ou résidents. Les réunions sont généralement centrées sur un évènement particulier, dans le cas actuel, c’était un match de football. Personnellement, je ne suis pas une fan de football, peu importe le style (soccer, australien, rugby, ou américain…) mais je dois admettre avoir été complètement envoûtée par l’enthousiasme des milliers de supporters qui ont envahi Annapolis si peu de temps après les milliers de fans de nautisme venus pour le salon. L’occasion est tellement imprégnée de tradition et grande pompe, ça ne ressemble à aucun autre évènement sportif. Aucun. On a donc fini notre tour de l’Academy par une visite de la Gift Shop pour être surs de porter les bonnes couleurs pour le match du lendemain : bleu marine et or.

Affichant notre loyauté sur nos sweats, chaussettes et écharpes, on est donc partis en ce beau samedi, prêts à soutenir l’équipe locale au stade du Navy Marine Corps. Le match était prévu pour 15h30, mais nous sommes arrivés à 12h45 en pensant que, comme en Australie, il y aurait un match préliminaire. Eh bien, en Amérique ils font les choses différemment.
Le jour de match commence tôt, les supporters arrivant dans leurs voitures remplies de victuailles et boissons, se garant dans le parking géant du stade et préparant leurs pique-nique tout droit sorti de leur coffres. C’est ce qu’ils appellent « tailgating », une habitude pratiquée le week-end ou les fans peuvent ainsi simultanément manger, regarder le sport et se retrouver entre amis…Et comme tout le monde fait la même chose, aucun des concessionnaires n’ouvre avant 14h30, pour que tous en profites. Tous, sauf nous, qui n’avions rien d’autre à faire que nous promener et envier tous ces gens qui font la fête (c’est Homecoming, souvenez-vous), sous des grandes tentes pour certains, ou sur la pelouse pour d’autres, un peu comme le Carnaval à Melbourne. Il va sans dire que ces réceptions sont privées et le seul restaurant ouvert au public était plein. Le reste des festivités n’a pas mis longtemps à démarrer. A commencer par le défilé des équipes, quand les joueurs sont arrivés en bus et se sont dirigés vers le stade (Navy précédée par une fanfare Ecossaise traditionnelle et suivie par les cheerleaders). On a fait comme les supporters et applaudi les joueurs, même si on n’en connaissait aucun ! Puis à 15h09 précises, le régiment entier de Midshipmen a défilé depuis le parc de l’Academy jusqu’au milieu du stade pour saluer leur université, leur équipe et leur pays. C’était 4 400 hommes et femmes en uniformes qui ont marche en formation pendant 2 miles, à travers les rues d’Annapolis et ont remplis la totalité du terrain de football. L’hymne national a été chanté par la chorale de USNA, immédiatement suivi par le vrombissement de 2 avions de chasse qui sont passés en rase motte au-dessus du stade, pour annoncer le début du match. Je ne vous dis pas, même pour quelqu’un comme moi qui n’aime pas le football, c’était impressionnant, et le match n’avait pas encore commence !

Le match, justement, parlons-en. Pour tout vous dire, on ne connaissait même pas les règles du jeu, on n’était venu que pour le divertissement. Heureusement, 2 gars assis à cote de nous ont décidé de nous éduquer après avoir entendu nos commentaires (style « qu’est ce qui se passe la ? » « Pas sûr, ils ont peut-être marque… ») et on a tous pris un malin plaisir à comparer les règles australiennes et américaines. Je passe les détails, il suffit d’en savoir autant qu’Anne : chaque équipe a droit à 4 essais pour parcourir 10 yards (10 mètres), ils prennent la balle et marquent un but ! Il y a pas mal d’arrêts de jeu, donc on ne peut pas dire que ce soit rapide comme sport (compare au rugby par exemple). N’empêche que c’est fun à regarder, rien que pour les traditions bien particulières: le son du canon résonne en début de match et à chaque but marque par la Navy. Puis, quand les Mids rajoutent des points sur le tableau d’affichage, une vague d’uniformes se précipite vers le côte nord du stade pour faire autant de pompes que le chiffre affiche (alors on commence avec 3, et on termine avec plus de 30 vers la fin du match). Le hasard a fait qu’on avait a cote de nous tout un groupe de jeunes recrues qui n’ont pas arrêté d’encourager leur équipe par leurs acclamations. Ambiance garantie donc, et on ne s’est pas fait prier pour applaudir quand la Navy a marqué a la dernière minute et remporte le match avec 1 but d’avance ! GOOOOOOO NAVY !!!!

Apparemment c’était un bon match. N’étant pas experts en la matière, on ne saurait dire, mais attables au Pub a City Dock après la rencontre et entoures d’une foule de joyeux supporters, on était tous d’accord : c’était une journée fantastique !
Comments
Vessel Name: VOAHANGY
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 560
Hailing Port: Sydney
Crew: Terry, Voahangy, Marc, Anne Steen
About:
Terry, 71, skipper, ex-pilot, surfer, aerobatics champion, can fix anything, never sea sick, loves a beer, hates the cold, is happiest anchored off a deserted beach. [...]
VOAHANGY's Photos - Main
84 Photos
Created 20 November 2014
2 glorious months, cruising various parts of Fiji. So many different experiences in one country: lush rainforests, colourful indian towns, blue lagoons, traditional villages, great fishing, fancy resorts... And the best part was sharing the cruising with family and friends. Can't beat Fiji with company! Here is a collection of our favourite moments (and there are a few!!!)
1 Photo | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 12 October 2014
Some of the whales actions we witnessed in Tonga, to read with the Whales action post by Anne!
7 Photos
Created 1 October 2014
Whale watching, snorkelling, bonfires, making new friends...One of the most remote and austere destination, far away from big tourism, with friendly people holding on to their traditions. Weather a bit chilly, but who cares???
46 Photos
Created 10 September 2014
49 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
15 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
9 Photos
Created 25 July 2014
38 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
20 Photos
Created 30 June 2014
72 Photos
Created 28 June 2014
55 Photos
Created 23 June 2014
27 Photos
Created 15 May 2014
37 Photos
Created 11 May 2014
40 Photos
Created 30 March 2014
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 15 March 2014
The time finally came to leave...a month of celebrations and sadness!
30 Photos
Created 5 March 2014
Another holiday within the holiday! Spent 13 fantastic days in Whistler, British Columbia joined by Aussie friends David and Denise. First time on skis for them, perfecting camps for Marc and Anne, loads of fun for everyone.
70 Photos
Created 8 February 2014
Nothing like having family and friends coming for a visit in the sun. Lots of eating, drinking, swimming, laughing...showing everyone our small paradise.
99 Photos
Created 30 January 2014
End of school year in Puerto, many get togethers before flying off to Paris for a family Christmas.
25 Photos
Created 23 January 2014
Day of the Dead festival, a friend visiting from Australia, Anne participating in her first martial arts tournament,...As usual a lot of eating and socialising!
40 Photos
Created 2 December 2013
68 Photos
Created 6 November 2013
Having visitors means putting on our tour guide hat "Voahangy & Co in Mexico", much exploring and eating: ruins, cenotes, beaches, villages, markets,... . I shared Mexican cooking lessons and was repaid with Dutch baking classes from our French guest. We ate a lot of cakes this month! So much sugar, no candies needed for Halloween this year, just parties...
74 Photos
Created 1 November 2013
This is the slowest month of the year in Mexico: hurricane threats, hot and humid weather, torrential rains drive the tourists away and confine the rest of us indoors. It poured for 22 days non stop! We still managed a dive (in the rain) for Father's Day, a day of all you can eat and drink at the local resort for Terry's birthday, and as usual lots of cooking and eating. Just on cue, the weather cleared at the end of the month for the arrival of Marie Suzanne, a French girlfriend. So lots of touring and catching up. Celebrated Mexican Independence Day all month long (it seems), eating black beans and pork verde!
47 Photos
Created 10 October 2013
No excursions this month. Just hanging around Puerto Aventuras, school, friends, ...Sat thru a couple of storms, torrential rains, big winds...Nowhere to go so more time spent in the galley and writing about it!!!
33 Photos
Created 12 September 2013
Holiday month for everyone: visitors from the USA, kids in and out, parties, US National Day celebration, French National Day celebration, Tulum for a night (bliss...) The start of a new food blog meant a month spent in the galley experimenting. Not much in terms of local food, mostly home cooked French. Chocolate cake anyone?
41 Photos
Created 24 August 2013
Holiday Seasons with old and new friends, provisioning and preparing to leave the USA...
54 Photos
Created 16 July 2013
End of school year performances, lots of baking/cooking for school festivities, Marc hospitalised, first tropical storms testing our nerves, road trip to Belize... Eat ceviche, my latest food addiction!!!
15 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 8 July 2013
Lots on! An interesting road trip to the Chiapas region, wonderful ruins of Palenque, green and lush Tabasco, Anne's birthday, Cozumel by boat, Kids sports graduation...Eat chilaquiles, breakfast with a difference.
26 Photos | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 2 July 2013
Settling down and mixing with the locals: kids are off to school, birthday parties, more of Tulum, unexpected reunion with fellow cruisers. Eat: black bean soup!
30 Photos
Created 2 July 2013
Not much tourism this month. We finally made the decision to stay for the rest of the year. So it's head down with school, get together with cruising friends ( they're passing thru while we stay behind) and switching to "landlubber's" mode. Resolved to eat at home more often, back to healthier diet.
19 Photos
Created 13 June 2013
Exploring the Yucatan peninsula by car, to Uxmal ruins and Merida. More of Tulum. Marc's Birthday. Try Flyboarding. Join in the local community of Puerto Aventuras. Xel-Ha. Discover Playa del Carmen. Eat nachos.
27 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 13 June 2013
Landfall in Isla Mujeres, find our way around our new home in Puerto Aventuras, excursion to Coba ruins, discover Tulum, swim with dolphins, eat tacos...
31 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 13 June 2013
Our last few weeks (even months) have been spent in Puerto Aventuras, Mexico. Not much cruising for us, more like enjoying company of new friends, safety of a protected harbor, and relaxing for a while, knowing we don't have to go anywhere for a while...
25 Photos
Created 2 April 2013
2 weeks in an island where time has stood still for 50 years! Road trip La havana - Vinales- Cienfuegos - Trinidad - La Havana. Cruise down the west coast, beautiful beaches, good fishing, diving,... Warm waters at last!!!!
3 Sub-Albums
Created 5 February 2013
To be enjoyed while reading the post!
43 Photos
Created 31 December 2012
Exploring Charleston and Savannah
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 27 December 2012
2 weeks shore leave, driving to Shenandoah National Park: lots of hiking, eating "country style" food, looking for bears, avoiding bears...Long drive across to Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, to visit the Wrights brothers memorial and Cape Hatteras.
28 Photos
Created 25 December 2012
Caught up with friends, left the boat on display at the 2012 Boat Show, toured historic downtown and US Naval Academy, watched a football game...welcome to the US sailing capital!
51 Photos
Created 25 December 2012
Unforgetable summer cruising around Block island, Nantucket, and Martha's Vineyard.
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 16 December 2012
46 Photos
Created 17 October 2012
A leisurely cruise from New York to Newport. Quite anchorages, fresh ocean breeze, ...a million miles away from Big City living!
37 Photos
Created 5 September 2012
July and September in the Big Apple. Cruise, Eat, Shop, Walk,...Look at some of our best memories (work in progress, I am still sorting thru thousands fo photos!)
1 Photo | 4 Sub-Albums
Created 3 September 2012
Museums, memorials, parks, bike trails...the most photogenic city.
85 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
First voyage in July, on our way to Washington DC. Passing thru quaint and historical towns, sampling crabs and oysters in hot summer nights... Returned in September, enjoying all Annapolis has to offer (well, nearly), and the spectacle of autumn foliage.
20 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
Where there are some seriously clever people!
22 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
29 Photos
Created 20 July 2012
Shore leave: Make believe, dreams come true, thrills, fast food...Anything goes here!!!
42 Photos
Created 20 July 2012
Welcome to America! Our port of entry, last moments with friends, base for a mini-refit, and our first taste of the USA...
18 Photos
Created 30 June 2012
59 Photos
Created 31 May 2012
17 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
33 Photos
Created 25 May 2012
52 Photos
Created 25 April 2012
19 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
30 Photos
Created 14 April 2012
28 Photos
Created 30 March 2012
28 Photos
Created 5 March 2012
40 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
36 Photos
Created 12 February 2012
25 Photos
Created 28 January 2012
49 Photos
Created 8 January 2012
37 Photos
Created 4 January 2012
40 Photos
Created 28 December 2011
What happens during a transat?
40 Photos
Created 14 December 2011
44 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
22 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
40 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
13 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
18 Photos
Created 19 November 2011
30 Photos
Created 17 November 2011
21 Photos
Created 30 October 2011
18 Photos
Created 22 October 2011
24 Photos
Created 1 October 2011
21 Photos
Created 8 September 2011